Hi,
    I changed my Berry to white earlier today and now I'm noticing some problems with my network coverage. I didn't change the black part where the sim and memory card etc are held. I change the bezel, bottom cover, battery ocver and keypad.
    I get 'SOS' often and it randomly says 'Searching for network', sometimes as soon as I try to send a text.

I am on Orange UK and people have had problems in the past few days with them so I'm wondering if it was the housing that caused it?
    05-05-10 04:46 PM
    i've colorware so many berries and never ran into a coverage issue... so i wouldn't say it's your aftermarket parts unless there made out of different material
    05-05-10 04:53 PM
    If your battery cover is metal...it might or will affect your signal.
    05-05-10 04:53 PM
    If other subscribers copmlaining about that, there looks a problem on your Service Provider..

Fatih Kurnaz
    (T�rkiye,T�rk�e,Yardım,Avea,Vodafone,Turkcell BlackBerry,Bis )

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-05-10 04:58 PM
    Thanks for the replies guys.
    Nope, the material is the same as usual. I've tired putting my original one back on and it's the same problem.
    Is there something I can do to see what is causing the problem?
    05-05-10 04:58 PM
    Thanks for the replies guys.
    Nope, the material is the same as usual. I've tired putting my original one back on and it's the same problem.
    Is there something I can do to see what is causing the problem?
    I'd call Orange UK, and see if they're having problems with towers, etc., since if others are having the issue, and it isn't the new parts, it has to be Orange.
    05-05-10 05:11 PM
    I'd call Orange UK, and see if they're having problems with towers, etc., since if others are having the issue, and it isn't the new parts, it has to be Orange.
    Yeah, I'll give them a call first thing in morning. Will report back.
    Thanks.
    05-05-10 05:14 PM
    It could definitely could be the sim card or your service provider... Have u looked at your sim card to make sure it wasn't so scratched in the process?

05-05-10 05:18 PM
    It could definitely could be the sim card or your service provider... Have u looked at your sim card to make sure it wasn't so scratched in the process?

I don't know what a sim card after normal use looks like. I don't think it should look like mine though as you rarely take it out.
    However, mine looks pretty bad with 3 lines running across and a little kind of dint in it. Could that be the reason? =/
    05-05-10 05:22 PM
    Well, because my phone is locked to Orange, I could only put another Orange one in. So I've put it in and I'm getting similar reception on there as well in the Berry. This means it's not the sim card. Could be the network.
    05-05-10 05:26 PM
    Update:
    I was out of my area earlier and I had booming full reception with 3G.
    Got in local about half hour ago and it seemed to be messing up on me again. SOS, Searching for network etc.
    So I got on to the phone with Orange and turns out they're doing work with 'masks' or something and can't really tell when it's gonna be finished. So I might get GRPS at times, or 3G or nothing at all.

So, the housing hasn't messed up my coverage thank God. Still annoying though 'cos they don't know how long it's gonna take to be back up and running.
    05-06-10 11:24 AM
    the good thing is that u have resolved the issue and it wasnt the housing
    05-06-10 02:58 PM
    Not to hijack this thread, but I have a 9700 with 5.0.0.593 and live in Houston, TX; I switched my housing to a clear plastic one on Saturday. Before my signal was 2-3 bars and my battery lasted three days with moderate use, but now I have constant arrows sometimes SOS and one day worth of battery life.
    Houston is suppose to have a strong 3g signal and I switched over all the inner workings to the new housing (if you haven't seen the inner working of a complete housing switch trust me it is more than just battery cover and front bezel) Thinking about using a hybrid firmware to improve reception, any suggestions??
    05-06-10 10:51 PM
    hi everyone since i have change my housing i am having the problem with sos, searching for network , poor signal. i have tried to set the antenna again thinking maybe it is not touching, i have tried my sim card in and other phone and i get full signal. i even bought a signal booster software no improvement. i am now thinking flashing the phone can anyone help how can we flash the blackberry bold 9700. thanks
    07-04-12 02:40 AM
    When changing the housing, if you damage one or both of the two small pins that are needed for the antenna, that could definitely be causing network connection issues. They are located on the back of the circuit board at the bottom.

When changing the housing on my girlfriend's 9700 I managed to bend one of the two pins without knowing it which caused terrible reception in places like the basement of the house. Once I realized this and repaired it, the signal went back to full reception.
    Last edited by TheRealFixxxer; 07-05-12 at 10:45 AM.
    allthingsnice likes this.
    07-04-12 08:49 PM
    Well, because my phone is locked to Orange, I could only put another Orange one in. So I've put it in and I'm getting similar reception on there as well in the Berry. This means it's not the sim card. Could be the network.
    You can unlock your Blackberry and do a test with another sim card or you can test your sim card with another device to find out if the problem is related to the device or to the carrier.
    07-08-12 04:40 AM
    I have not dismantled a 9900 but older BlackBerrys had the antenna in the case. Contact between the electronics and the antenna is made by bent metal pins that have spring tension on them as TheRealFixxxer said.

Most likely one of these two pins is not making good contact. Fix that and you should be good but please be careful since these things are pretty fragile.
    07-08-12 05:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD