just got my bold yesterday. earlier today, when i tried to make a call while wi-fi was on and connected, it wouldn't go through. likewise, when someone tried to call me when wi-fi was on, they went straight to voicemail. i tested it when i got home and same thing...wi-fi on, no voice. wi-fi off, voice calls work just fine.

the only think i can think of is that i have skype installed but not logged in yet, so maybe it's trying to make calls that way? i'm going to be kinda bummed if i have to turn off wi-fi to use the phone.
    06-24-10 07:03 PM
    A couple days ago, I was able to receive a call while I was surfing with Wi-fi. I was using the hotspot browser - don't know if that makes a difference or not. It may make a difference since the device is not in any way associated with BIS when using hotspot.
    06-24-10 07:15 PM
    I have no issues making or receiving calls with Wifi enabled.
    06-24-10 07:16 PM
    Doesn't UMA allow calls to be made and received over wifi?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-10 07:43 PM

Yes, but Verizon does not support UMA... On Verizon the mobile network has to be enabled to make calls. T-Mobile is the only CONUS provider that supports UMA calling.
    06-24-10 08:05 PM
    Yes, with wifi enabled you can still make / receive calls as normal regardless of what you are doing, browsing, emailing, texting etc. What's awesome is you can now use voice and data over wifi at the same time. (one of my FAVORITE features on this device)
    06-24-10 08:11 PM
    Yes, with wifi enabled you can still make / receive calls as normal regardless of what you are doing, browsing, emailing, texting etc. What's awesome is you can now use voice and data over wifi at the same time. (one of my FAVORITE features on this device)
    I agree with you on this one. This is what I love about this phone. I am on the phone as we speak and browsing the internet over wifi at the same time. I wish I could browse and talk over regular 3g like this...

06-24-10 10:41 PM
    if you like the feature, be sure to check out smartwifi. Its amazing in that you program the cell tower in conjuntion with the wifi hotspot you want your phone connected to (e.g. home or work) and the app turns on wifi only when you are within that cell site, then once you walk into the hotspot, WALA! wifi without you ever having to do anything. So when a call comes in while im home, data and voice together is a constant thing! Very very cool! Then it saves your battery and turns off the wifi as soon as you enter a different cell site
    06-25-10 12:59 AM
    I use my Bolt Browser/UZard/Opera Mini while using the phone with/without wifi.

It's faster and reliable.
    06-25-10 01:08 AM
    if you like the feature, be sure to check out smartwifi.
    $5 to turn on/off Wi-Fi ?

The battery drain isn't that bad with Wi-Fi on. I've kept pace with my non-Wi-Fi Tour for the most part.
    06-25-10 11:18 AM
    What's awesome is you can now use voice and data over wifi at the same time. (one of my FAVORITE features on this device)
    Voice over wifi? Are you sure about that? I thought it was only data that could be pulled over wifi.
    06-25-10 11:50 AM

Yes, but Verizon does not support UMA... On Verizon the mobile network has to be enabled to make calls. T-Mobile is the only CONUS provider that supports UMA calling.
    Man I wish they could figure out a way to do that. I having a real time getting signal in my place and I'm not going to spring for an extender or signal booster because I wont be there much longer.

if you like the feature, be sure to check out smartwifi. Its amazing in that you program the cell tower in conjuntion with the wifi hotspot you want your phone connected to (e.g. home or work) and the app turns on wifi only when you are within that cell site, then once you walk into the hotspot, WALA! wifi without you ever having to do anything. So when a call comes in while im home, data and voice together is a constant thing! Very very cool! Then it saves your battery and turns off the wifi as soon as you enter a different cell site
    So even with out the Wifi thing are you saying that this program some has the ability to tell the phone which cell tower to use? Is there a way to look at the towers available and see which one has the best signal?
    06-25-10 12:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD