Is there a way to hook up an external webcam to a BB 9700? Not use it *as* a webcam, but rather, hook one up to it through the USB port so I can use Yahoo or MSN IM's video chat features. Anyone found a way to do this?
    06-14-10 09:42 AM
    Is there a way to hook up an external webcam to a BB 9700? Not use it *as* a webcam, but rather, hook one up to it through the USB port so I can use Yahoo or MSN IM's video chat features. Anyone found a way to do this?
    Are you high?

Please tell me this is a joke and that this didn't actually cross your mind as plausible.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-14-10 10:17 AM
    LMAO!!! ^^^

10chars
    06-14-10 10:22 AM
    Oh, for Pete's sake! People have done and tried far stranger things with their BB's! The only reason I mentioned the USB port is that it is the only port on the device (save for the audio out).

Really?! The Apple 4GS now has a front-facing camera and I'm the only one who's ever contemplated this on a BB? Really??!
    06-14-10 10:36 AM
    Oh, for Pete's sake! People have done and tried far stranger things with their BB's! The only reason I mentioned the USB port is that it is the only port on the device (save for the audio out).

Really?! The Apple 4GS now has a front-facing camera and I'm the only one who's ever contemplated this on a BB? Really??!
    You mention that you don't want to actually use it as a webcam but then you say you want to use it for instant messaging video chat, which btw, is the main purpose of a webcam.
    Please just use your pc and save yourself the trouble
    06-14-10 10:45 AM
    Let me rephrase my question: Is there any way to do a video chat using a BB, without a PC around?
    06-14-10 10:51 AM
    Short answer, no.

Valid question though, although you could have phrased it better in the OP.

and FYI to those whose responses were less than constructive, I have seen MUCH more outlandish requests than this. Keep it helpful, or keep it to yourself please.
    06-14-10 10:56 AM
    Just as an FYI to anyone else who asks about this or possibly attaching any other devices to the USB port...On the BlackBerry, the USB port is a "Device" port and not a "Host". This means that you can attach your BB to things like a computer which use the BB. To attach a device such as a webcam would require different hardware (unless the USB controller was software based, but thats getting too technical) in the BB so the chances that this type of thing working is 0%.
    06-14-10 12:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD