I need to completely disable the video recording capability on my 9650.

Is this possible? As in, is there a file I can delete that will essentially make it impossible to use the video recorder?

I basically need to show it to an administrator and say "look, now you can't access the video recorder at all."

I work in a business that does not allow this, and I don't want to switch back to a crappier phone.
    10-04-10 02:46 PM
    These are the 2 COD files from my 9550 install dir:

net_rim_bb_camera.cod
    net_rim_bb_videorecorder.cod

I would assume you could theoretically just remove them using BBSak from your phone, but then the company in question would not be certain that you could not re-add them after. Removing the hardware would be for certain permanent but not for the light hearted. Good luck with whatever decision you make.
    10-04-10 03:12 PM
    These are the 2 COD files from my 9550 install dir:

net_rim_bb_camera.cod
    net_rim_bb_videorecorder.cod

I would assume you could theoretically just remove them using BBSak from your phone, but then the company in question would not be certain that you could not re-add them after. Removing the hardware would be for certain permanent but not for the light hearted. Good luck with whatever decision you make.
    Yes I think the removal of that .cod file should do the trick. So the only way to do this is by using BBSak? Not really sure of the steps I'd need to take since I haven't tried deleting any .cod files before.
    10-04-10 03:18 PM
    If I were to say to you it is extremely simple, even a cave man could do it, that would sound too condescending. But I will tell that it really is an extremely easy program to use. Do not run the Desktop manager while running BBSak, once BBSak is running it should display your PIN much the same way that the Desktop manager does. You would then select the "Modify CODs" tab and then select "Read System" button, and when the list populates, scroll through to find the COD file in question, probably each of those 2 just to show the company you are not able to take vid or still shots, highlight the COD, and then select the "Remove COD(s)"

I would do it for each file separately. I usually cannot answer the hard questions, but the simple stuff I have a knack for.....
    10-04-10 03:29 PM
    If you are on a BES, your administrator could disable those functions.
    10-04-10 03:31 PM
    Removing those cods DOES work because I did that inadvertently when I was trying to be a smartie and mix my own hybrid once upon a time.
    So yes...remove them and the VR does NOT work.

Believe me!

Use BBSAK.
    10-04-10 04:11 PM
    thanks, I was able to remove the cod file for the video recorder using BBSak

so far, so good!
    10-05-10 06:46 AM
    Good deal. Glad it worked for you. Like I said, I WASN'T trying to remove mine and I did!

Hope it allows you to keep a GREAT phone AND your job...lol
    10-05-10 06:48 AM
    I'm surprised that's all they're telling you to do. Here when you go to court they just look at your phone for a camera lense, if it has it then you need to take it back to your car. You can sit and try to prove that it doesn't work, but all they need for proof is to see the lense.

Cause afterall, what's stopping you from showing its disabled and its being "approved" then you come in the next day with it enabled again. If it were my business, if you have a lense on your phone, that's all I need to see to say, get a new phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-05-10 12:04 PM
    Well, the point of this thread was to help the OP who asked if he could disable the VR by removing the VR cods and by golly, we did it!
    10-05-10 12:28 PM
    I am kinda wondering if the OP knew that the 9650 is available in a cameraless version. No lense, no software, all the Bold goodness without that pesky little camera.
    If the OP went to the carrier and explained the situation, if they could work something out with him.

Where I work, contractors (like me) are forbidden to have an "integrated camera device", without a pass, which states that I won't use it, and they DO spot check that there is nothing from inside on the memory card.

I have seen some contractors who put electrical tape over the lens from underneath the battery cover. The hole is there in the cover, but it's a smooth black plate (no lens showing) underneath.
    10-05-10 03:36 PM
    I am kinda wondering if the OP knew that the 9650 is available in a cameraless version. No lense, no software, all the Bold goodness without that pesky little camera.
    If the OP went to the carrier and explained the situation, if they could work something out with him.

Where I work, contractors (like me) are forbidden to have an "integrated camera device", without a pass, which states that I won't use it, and they DO spot check that there is nothing from inside on the memory card.

I have seen some contractors who put electrical tape over the lens from underneath the battery cover. The hole is there in the cover, but it's a smooth black plate (no lens showing) underneath.
    Unfortunately when I selected the phone, there was no option that lacked a camera, which is odd.

I'm glad the option to remove the COD files worked. That way if a spot check is run, they can clearly inspect and see that they are unable to take a picture.

I'm surprised that's all they're telling you to do. Here when you go to court they just look at your phone for a camera lense, if it has it then you need to take it back to your car. You can sit and try to prove that it doesn't work, but all they need for proof is to see the lense.
    That's not the way it works in my biz. They do "random inspections" which in my opinion is even more of a deterrent. When you don't know if today's the day they ask you to hand over your phone for inspection, you're probably going to avoid shady practices. And they make a point of inspections being truly random. You can get inspected two days in a row, three days in a row, or not at all for a month. So you never know when you're going to get inspected. So the removal of the COD files is all I need to prove to the company that I'm in the clear. They take the phone, try to take a picture or video, and find out that the option to do that isn't even there. So I pass inspection.

Besides, the only guys who really want a video cam on their phone want it for only one thing: to be a pervert when given the opportunity. I've seen it all over, esp in big cities where people are in subways, buses, crowded areas, etc.
    10-18-10 12:38 PM
    Besides, the only guys who really want a video cam on their phone want it for only one thing: to be a pervert when given the opportunity. I've seen it all over, esp in big cities where people are in subways, buses, crowded areas, etc.
    That's a pretty bold statement, don't you think? Their are guys that take pictures of important events, kids, pets, cars, houses, sporting events, wiring diagrams, and etc. Think before you make such a vague statement!
    10-18-10 02:09 PM
    That's a pretty bold statement, don't you think?
    No, not really. They even made a Federal Law in '04 because it became such a large problem. And it's only gotten worse since the cameras increase in quality, speed, memory, etc, etc...

Their are guys that take pictures of important events, kids, pets, cars, houses, sporting events, wiring diagrams, and etc.
    Guys who know they are going to be at those events will take a real camcorder or digital camera. If it's important, why use a cell phone? I can understand the occasional "oh, I forgot the camera" moment, so cell pics are the best you can do, but that's not the rule.
    10-18-10 07:54 PM
    No, not really. They even made a Federal Law in '04 because it became such a large problem. And it's only gotten worse since the cameras increase in quality, speed, memory, etc, etc...

Guys who know they are going to be at those events will take a real camcorder or digital camera. If it's important, why use a cell phone? I can understand the occasional "oh, I forgot the camera" moment, so cell pics are the best you can do, but that's not the rule.
    Because my BlackBerry takes good pictures and I don't feel like carrying my Sony CyberShot everywhere I go! You're naive, don't you think the bad guys carry real cameras too. Grow up and stop knockin' people for using the built-in camera on their device. My Bold takes awesome pictures, and I use it daily. Loser!
    10-18-10 09:27 PM
    Because my BlackBerry takes good pictures and I don't feel like carrying my Sony CyberShot everywhere I go!
    That statement does nothing to support your original argument.

You're naive, don't you think the bad guys carry real cameras too.
    Sure they do. Yet the Federal Law in 2004 specifically grew out of cell phone impropriety. Does it really take a genius to understand why a "bad guy" would opt for a cell phone over a traditional camera?
    10-28-10 10:16 AM
    That statement does nothing to support your original argument.

Sure they do. Yet the Federal Law in 2004 specifically grew out of cell phone impropriety. Does it really take a genius to understand why a "bad guy" would opt for a cell phone over a traditional camera?
    Totally get why you need to fix the phone, no worries there.

continuing the OT trend though : Not sure quoting a 6yr old law though makes sense to justify a somewhat silly statement though - yeah maybe bad people have camera phones, but so does everyone else. 2/3's of households have a digital camera phone and they're outselling low end cameras by far. As the quality of cell cameras increases, thats a market segment that is going away. They're not going to replace high end cameras, but low end cameras will follow in the footsteps of film.

I was just in Italy two weeks ago, lugging thousands in camera equipment. I couldn't believe the number of people using their phones (lots of iPhones, but saw a few berries and android platforms as well) as their primary photographic device. Markedly different from prior trips in 2002 and 2003. Easily appeared to be the majority of cameras and videocameras. Do I prefer my dSLR - sure, do I take tons of pictures with my camera/videocamera on my berry - absolutely, all the time.
    10-29-10 09:44 AM
    Uhh, because I am with my nieces and they do something cute and I want a pic or video. That does not make me a pervert.

Plans change. Things happen. Yes, if I know I am going to their events, I take my cameras.

You got the answer you needed. No need to put down everyone else for using what your not allowed to.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-29-10 10:01 AM
    Seriously?

I've used the camera on my Bold numerous times at work, especially when trying to explain a detailed mechanical issue to our mechanic if he's not around.

I call "foul" on making vast generalizations about those of us who happen to prefer having the ability to use our phones for snapping an occasional photograph or video� And, quite frankly, it�s becoming harder and harder to find phones WITHOUT cameras, anyway.
    10-29-10 11:57 AM
    Gee....what an ignorant statement!

Have you ever heard of iReport.com? Do you know how many of those clips were taken on a cell phone? Have you never seen anything decent, picture or video, that was captured with a phones camera?

I do not always walk around with a camera or camcorder around my neck, and have used my phone on numerous occasions to capture a candid moment either as a picture or a video. I also use the camera to take pictures of something I want to remember later on - a label, a sign, an item in a store....whatever. Surely you are not calling me a pervert!

Could it be that you are in reality just admitting to what you yourself actually use the camera on your phone for?

As I stated initially.... a totally ignorant statement!
    Last edited by stubbornswiss; 10-29-10 at 07:15 PM.
    10-29-10 07:11 PM
    Could it be that you are in reality just admitting to what you yourself actually use the camera on your phone for?
    Riiiigggghhhhttt.... and that's why I'm here trying to find out how to delete camera and recording capabilities.

I still stand by my statement. If you don't believe me do a current Google news search. In Japan the problem is so bad they have signs posted everywhere in the subways warning people about it. It's a theme that's been growing over the past 10 years, and it's only going to get worse. On a recent trip to Boston I also noticed similar signs. What's funny is the ignorance that's blinding everyone here.

Just because something is "common" does not mean it used for good purposes.
    Last edited by DesertLS1; 11-01-10 at 10:30 AM.
    11-01-10 10:27 AM
    Sure, there are some bad seeds out there, but why rationalize that everyone who has a camera on their phone is up to no good. That would be like me stating that everyone who quotes a 6 year old laws is a tool. It may me true in your case, but not automatically the case fore everyone else.
    11-01-10 11:50 AM
    Riiiigggghhhhttt.... and that's why I'm here trying to find out how to delete camera and recording capabilities.

I still stand by my statement. If you don't believe me do a current Google news search. In Japan the problem is so bad they have signs posted everywhere in the subways warning people about it. It's a theme that's been growing over the past 10 years, and it's only going to get worse. On a recent trip to Boston I also noticed similar signs. What's funny is the ignorance that's blinding everyone here.

Just because something is "common" does not mean it used for good purposes.
    There will always be perverts in the world, and they will always find a way and medium to carry out their activities. Just like there are serial killers and bank robbers!

But I believe the majority of people who have cell phone's with cameras, use them for legitimate things, and so I will say again.....your statement is ignorant!

And oh.... if I remember right, the only reason you were trying to disable your camera was so that you could "show it to an administrator and say "look, now you can't access the video recorder at all."" Doesn't sound like the choice was yours!

I rest my case!
    11-01-10 11:56 AM
    There will always be perverts in the world, and they will always find a way and medium to carry out their activities. Just like there are serial killers and bank robbers!
    So now you're equating this phenomenon to serial murder and larceny? It's a much different situation. The increase in camera problems equated with perverts has risen exponentially since cell phones became so ubiquitous in society. Can you say the same about serial murder? No.

But I believe the majority of people who have cell phone's with cameras, use them for legitimate things, and so I will say again.....your statement is ignorant!
    It's not ignorant at all. In fact, if the majority of men (recall I never used the word "people" in general) used cell phone cameras for legit purposes, there wouldn't be much of a need for a Federal law. Remember, we're talking about a Federal law, not some local statute that only applies to NYC subways. The problem extends to any locale where cell phones are in use.

And oh.... if I remember right, the only reason you were trying to disable your camera was so that you could "show it to an administrator and say "look, now you can't access the video recorder at all."" Doesn't sound like the choice was yours!
    That's correct. The choice was not mine. In fact, the choice was not mine because the company prevented me from purchasing a phone without a camera. It wasn't an option to begin with. You can recall that from my previous post in this thread. Critical reading is your friend.
    11-09-10 02:47 PM
    Wow most places that still have that policy are looking are revisiting them, because you can not buy a smartphone that doesn't have a camera. My work dropped it a few years ago, I was stuck carrying a 8820 for ages, still have it too.
    11-09-10 02:54 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD