Hello all, im a newbie to the forums but a long time blackberry user. I recently purchased a Bold off a private seller on Craigslist and before that had the Curve 8310. As title says im with ATT.

My question is I have an elligible upgrade, I can get the IPHONE3GS for 200 bucks, Id like to get it and have both the Bold and Iphone, alternating them even possibly using the Iphone for a week then swapping the sim and using the Bold.

I talked to a rep on the phone from ATT who told me this was not possible as both require different data plans and offer different features(dunno how or what features he reffered to) so even if I shell out 30 a month for thier data plan already as I do for my Bold, If I upgrade the Iphone and then swap my sim into my bold, I will now have a blackberry data plan and a Iphone data plan and would be charged accordingly.

This sounded stupid to me and doesnt make much sense but a rep in an att store when I ask simply replied after conferring with her manager that cannot be done.

So my question is, if I upgrade, get the Iphone and keep both my phones, and decide to alternate, do you guys really think theyd even know the difference as long as I have unlimited internet on my plan regardless of what phone im using?

Thanks in advance forum members!
    07-20-09 01:28 PM
    You NEED the BlackBerry data plan to get all the features of the BB, the Curve won't work properly with the iPhone data plan, or any other data plan for that matter, nor will the iPhone work properly with the BB data plan.
    07-20-09 01:32 PM
    iPhone works on a BB plan, but not the other way around.
    07-20-09 01:34 PM
    that stinks...damn ATT, if I pay them 30 a month for unlimited data I should get it regardless of the phone!
    07-20-09 01:35 PM
    I have a BB PDA unlimited data plan and alternate between a BES BB, Nokia, Windows Mobile and iPhone without any overages

The only thing that will not work is the visual voicemail on the iPhone...
    07-20-09 01:39 PM
    It's not AT&T, the BB plan includes BIS which drives all BB functionality.

And yes, they will know the difference. The iPhone does not have a very robust compression, so it uses more bandwidth. AT&T will key on this. Some have been doing this for months without issue, others got a nice little note within hours.
    07-20-09 01:40 PM
    I recently upgraded my phone to a BB Bold through Let's Talk. Although it wont arrive until Wednesday, they have already activated the BB BES data plan and I can't use my iphone to its full capabilities. If you have wireless where you live/work, just use that for your data and, like a previous poster mentioned, you can use your iphone as "normal" but you would be without Visual Voicemail.

Obviously when you switch your sim back to your BB, you wouldn't have to worry about being in a hot spot becuase you have the data plan.

HTH!
    07-20-09 01:46 PM
    thanks for replies guys! I just wish they had a specific 30 dollar a month data plan where any phone you use would work properly with all the features! maybe someday...but problably not.
    07-20-09 02:05 PM
    They do, but these two phones work different than the rest and require their own plans.
    07-20-09 02:12 PM
    iPhone works on a BB plan, but not the other way around.
    this used to be the case for me. I picked up a new 3g iphone and swapped sims from my bold (with the BB plan). iphone worked great up until I updated the iphone s/w to 3.0. the app store, browser, SMS etc. Now i get an error stating incorrect data plan on the iphone and can not access what I once was able to.

I feel 100x more comfortable with the bold though.
    07-20-09 02:44 PM
    Well I'm with Rogers Canada and I had the Iphone and I never switched my plan over to Blackberry data plan, I used to swap between Iphone and BB pearl. I eventually got a bold and got rid of my Iphone. All I did was call Roges TECHNICAL SUPPORT and the tech said that he had the same situation for himself and he said it's no problem and while i was on the phone with him my blackberry started receiving email...it is possible. if they argue...ask to transfer to retention and they'll kiss your a$$
    07-20-09 03:45 PM
    I posted in another thread that if you change the APN settings on the iPhone you can use data on the iPhone perfectly (No need to be on wifi). But VVM will not work of course.
    07-20-09 04:52 PM
    this used to be the case for me. I picked up a new 3g iphone and swapped sims from my bold (with the BB plan). iphone worked great up until I updated the iphone s/w to 3.0. the app store, browser, SMS etc. Now i get an error stating incorrect data plan on the iphone and can not access what I once was able to.

I feel 100x more comfortable with the bold though.
    I believe iPhone OS 3.0 sets the APN to "phone". Since SIM cards with BB service are not provisioned for the "phone" APN it won't be able to use data services. If you jailbreak the iPhone and change the APN to "wap.cingular" it should work fine.
    07-20-09 05:45 PM
    ah, that makes sense now. I didn't want to jailbreak the phone from the start, so I just ended up giving the iphone to a relative.
    07-21-09 10:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD