07-24-09 03:39 PM
64 123
tools
    Information from a 3.5mm stereo jack is analog audio, not digital data. There is no way to browse the contents of an SD card through a 3.5mm jack regardless of what kind of cable you get. There's also no device that converts audio to a digital format that a device can receive via USB. If the Bold is what you're using as a player and you want to send the audio signal through the deck, you have to use an AUX cable (or Bluetooth if the deck supports it). If you want to use the deck as the audio player and just play files from your Bold, you just need the Bold set to Mass Storage mode and a USB cable. I guarantee the stereo isn't expecting a raw audio signal over the USB port.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Ummmmmm! I think this has gotten a little off track. I think he just wants to play music off his BOLD through his car stereo using the CAR STEREOS USB port, not the BOLD's. I don't recall anyone talking of browsing a SD cards contents through a 3,5mm cable/jack. The cable and the dongle was just a means to let him use his BOLD as a media player. And like I stated before an AUX connection or BT isn't the only way. I happen to have a cassette deck/CD/Radio in my car and I use a 1/8in (3.5mm) Audio Jack to Cassette Adapter to attach my BOLD without setting the BOLD in mass storage mode. I shuffle through my tunes from the BOLD's media player. Now if what you are saying is that you CAN connect using BOTH the car stereos USB and the BOLD's MINI USB then I yield.
    06-02-09 09:51 PM
    That's because the tape adapter plays ANALOG AUDIO... Which is NEVER, under ANY circumstances, transmitted over a USB port. That's why computers have audio interfaces and not just type A to type A USB cables to get sound from your laptop to your stereo. If the OP wants to use the USB jack at all, it's gonna have to be to browse. The stereo IS NOT looking for an analog audio signal over the USB port, like say your tape deck is.

Your tape adapter does not convert the audio signal to digital data. And even if it did, portable drives (which is what the USB port on a stereo is for) don't even output digital audio streams, so even a magic "dongle" that converts audio from the 3.5" jack to audio DID exist, what would the stereo use? It's looking for a DRIVE.

Last edited by digitalb0y; 06-02-09 at 10:55 PM.
    06-02-09 10:46 PM
    .........Yielded to digitalb0y
    06-02-09 11:27 PM
    Good. You can't win an argument with a geeky know-it-all **** who likes arguing. But seriously, my degree is in audio engineering and I write up computer audio interfaces for several websites. I currently own 6 of them, and not one of them would be necessary if analog audio could be transmitted and received across USB connections.

06-03-09 12:29 AM
    .........Yielded to digitalb0y
    As the saying goes... "Never argue with a fool... One may not tell the difference."

06-03-09 12:44 AM
    my stereo has a 3.5mm plugin, so I just use a connector with the 3.5 jack on both ends... works fine.
    06-03-09 12:49 AM
    Me too. I built a stereo jack running to the AUX lead on the back of my stereo. Using the BB as a player over the 3.5mm is a snap. Also, I'd be surprised if any deck new enough to have a USB port doesn't have an AUX input option, even if it does require a custom cable. Typically they're not hard to build. A cheap trip to Radio Shak and a little soldering is usually all you need.

06-03-09 12:58 AM
    I use a Storm and no, it does not sync up correctly via USB unfortunately, best bet is to use via bluetooth or aux input.
    06-03-09 01:35 AM
    Information from a 3.5mm stereo jack is analog audio, not digital data. There is no way to browse the contents of an SD card through a 3.5mm jack regardless of what kind of cable you get.
    In general that is correct. However, the ipod shuffle transfers data through it's 3.5mm. Not going to be useful for the car stereo either though, unless it's designed to sync with the shuffle.
    06-03-09 02:35 AM
    I'm just wondering how it works if the stereo has a bluetooth... Say I wanted to stream Pandora via bluetooth to a bluetooth deck.. is that possible????
    06-03-09 04:13 AM
    Pandora has an option to enable bluetooth so I believe so

06-03-09 04:18 AM

That's good news, cause I'm in the process of buyin an aftermarket deck for my Tahoe

06-03-09 04:20 AM
    I will let you guys know what I find. Here is some info from Alpine:

CDA-105

A great choice for enjoying music from CD’s, iPod, or USB memory sticks, the CDA-105 also lets you use an iPhone™, plus it is Bluetooth Ready and can be easily upgraded for IMPRINT sound. There’s just about nothing that this unit won’t do to make your drive more enjoyable.

The CDA-105 is the answer to your audio needs. It allows you to use an iPod or iPhone (Apple USB cable or KCU-440i required) as well as other USB memory devices in you car via a USB cable (included) connection to access all your music right from the head unit.
    Alpine Electronics of America, Inc. - CDA-105
    06-03-09 04:47 AM

If the music is being streamed through the bluetooth from the berry to the stereo, I wonder what the quality Is like..

06-03-09 05:44 AM
    That's because the tape adapter plays ANALOG AUDIO... Which is NEVER, under ANY circumstances, transmitted over a USB port. That's why computers have audio interfaces and not just type A to type A USB cables to get sound from your laptop to your stereo. If the OP wants to use the USB jack at all, it's gonna have to be to browse. The stereo IS NOT looking for an analog audio signal over the USB port, like say your tape deck is.

Your tape adapter does not convert the audio signal to digital data. And even if it did, portable drives (which is what the USB port on a stereo is for) don't even output digital audio streams, so even a magic "dongle" that converts audio from the 3.5" jack to audio DID exist, what would the stereo use? It's looking for a DRIVE.

It would work if the Bold were a USB audio device (which it could be if it had a digital audio converter, which it does not). There are analog devices with built-in DACs that stream digital audio over USB. USB turntables are an example.

On a marginally related note, I'm wondering why neither of the Bluetooth setups in my car and my wife's can handle Bluetooth stereo audio when incoming calls come in well enough over the car stereo. I mean, I know why -- they weren't set up for Bluetooth stereo audio, only for Bluetooth handsfree and/or Bluetooth headset -- but that seems to be a stupid design oversight.
    Last edited by JasW; 06-03-09 at 06:26 AM.
    06-03-09 06:21 AM
    But aux inputs are 100%. So much for the leap forward. Lol

06-03-09 09:17 AM
    As to the BT option in Pandora, it is really not good through any BT headset I have tried yet, so don't expect a lot. But then again, if its streamed to a head unit, maybe it will sound ok. Now I'm kinda curious myself.

06-03-09 09:21 AM
    I need to get a better car stereo that has built in aux inputs on the front.
    06-03-09 09:54 AM
    I need to get a better car stereo that has built in aux inputs on the front.
    It's worth it. There are some less expensive options. If your stereo is Satellite ready, you can use those ports. You can also get a box that uses the antenna connection. Both are wired options and require removal of the stereo. They also both work quite well. I have the Sat option in the wife's vehicle, and the antenna one in my truck. I probably have $50-$60 in each install. The AUX in my car is the easiest.
    06-03-09 10:01 AM
    It would work if the Bold were a USB audio device (which it could be if it had a digital audio converter, which it does not). There are analog devices with built-in DACs that stream digital audio over USB. USB turntables are an example.

On a marginally related note, I'm wondering why neither of the Bluetooth setups in my car and my wife's can handle Bluetooth stereo audio when incoming calls come in well enough over the car stereo. I mean, I know why -- they weren't set up for Bluetooth stereo audio, only for Bluetooth handsfree and/or Bluetooth headset -- but that seems to be a stupid design oversight.
    Not exactly... USB turntables don't plug into analog mixers. The signal passing over the USB jack is still digital. Conversion takes place on the device. A computer does't see a USB input as an audio source. It's not an option when you choose your microphone. Software for receiving digital data and converting it to audio info would have to be installed on the computer or in this case, the car stereo. There are audio cables that can carry a digital signal, but the device at the other end still needs to know what to do with the digital info.

06-03-09 10:42 AM
    I have both USB and BT connections to my Alpine. My wife has a 3.5" aux input to her system in her VW. I use BT to stream Slacker to my car audio (along with handsfree phone capability). IMO, this is the way to go. My wife can connect to her system via the BB headphone jack and play whatever is played on the phone.

I briefly connected my Bold via the USB connection and seemed only to be able to browse and access media stored in memory, not on the SD card (the SD card is in mass media mode). I will try it again today and report back.

Edit: I should add that connecting my BB to the car audio via USB also charges the BB! When I connect with BB to play music, I use my BB car charger. Either way, a single cable.
    Last edited by zekeblue; 06-03-09 at 10:54 AM.
    06-03-09 10:51 AM
    it will read thumbnail drives and any USB mass storage.

I will try it this weekend and report back.
    06-04-09 02:42 PM
    Sorry for the delay. My Alpine connected to my Bold via USB accesses the media card but only the first "partition". That is, BB set the card up with two drive letters. I load my MP3s on the second one. The radio only seems to access the first one. It plays my ringtones really well though!

I'm not sure of the ins and outs of how the card needs to be set up. The BB formatting set my 16GB card with 1GB in the first partition and the rest in the second.
    06-04-09 06:11 PM
    It's probably not partitioned... I bet the BB shows up with two partitions because of the 1GB device memory. There's 1GB of storage on the BB that shows up as a second drive when you connect it to a computer. If that's what your deck is seeing, I doubt you'll have much luck changing it. I could be wrong, but I doubt there's a way to make the device re-order the volumes. So with a deck that works that way, you're probably only going to be able to browse the device storage.

06-04-09 06:20 PM
    It's probably not partitioned... I bet the BB shows up with two partitions because of the 1GB device memory. There's 1GB of storage on the BB that shows up as a second drive when you connect it to a computer. If that's what your deck is seeing, I doubt you'll have much luck changing it. I could be wrong, but I doubt there's a way to make the device re-order the volumes. So with a deck that works that way, you're probably only going to be able to browse the device storage.
    Of course! I knew that!

So it does make more sense now. It's like connecting two usb drives via one cable and the radio can only see the first one. Thanks.
    06-04-09 06:49 PM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD