via the USB port and play music?
    Last edited by hurricane.gio; 06-02-09 at 04:26 PM.
    06-02-09 04:22 PM
    Do you have a USB on your stereo?
    06-02-09 04:23 PM
    Or do you have an auxilary port on your stereo?
    06-02-09 04:26 PM
    Do you have a USB on your stereo?
    Yes, my new Alpine that's coming has a USB connection.
    06-02-09 04:27 PM
    Or do you have an auxilary port on your stereo?
    No aux, just USB.
    06-02-09 04:29 PM
    I would think if it can read MP3 off a flash drive, it should be able to recognize Mass Storage on your Bold. I guess it also depends on the file structures the Alpine will read.
    06-02-09 04:29 PM
    I thought the bold could only transmit data by usb.....should have got a deck w bluetooth.....plays just fine that way

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-02-09 04:32 PM
    I would think if it can read MP3 off a flash drive, it should be able to recognize Mass Storage on your Bold. I guess it also depends on the file structures the Alpine will read.
    Yes it should. Mass Storage is basically a form of a flash drive. No reason why it shouldn't work.
    06-02-09 04:32 PM
    I thought the bold could only transmit data by usb.....should have got a deck w bluetooth.....plays just fine that way

I am going to get the BT add-on later. I will mainly be using my iPod with it, but in case I forget it, I will have my Bold with me.
    06-02-09 04:34 PM
    Good luck....let us know what u find out

06-02-09 04:38 PM
    I just tried it on my Pioneer deck and it didn't work

Also why is that when i connect my phone via USB to my PC it doesn't show up as a storage device. I have all the setting correct and i do have a SD card in it.
    06-02-09 04:59 PM
    i connect to my Pioneer radio via regular aux input and plug the other end into my Bold headset jack. i can then stream Pandora over my car radio just like i do with my Ipod.
    06-02-09 05:37 PM
    i connect to my Pioneer radio via regular aux input and plug the other end into my Bold headset jack. i can then stream Pandora over my car radio just like i do with my Ipod.
    I was trying to connect to my pioneer deck via USB
    06-02-09 06:20 PM
    Either way please let us know...
    06-02-09 06:34 PM
    The bold or any blackberry will not play VIA usb into any deck out today that I know of. I know it won't as I tried it through usb fm radio, no work.

The bold or any blackberry requries a PC to find drivers, so no deck has any OS to do so as no deck is a PC.

There in blue tooth, but many state that is not 100 percent effective.

06-02-09 06:46 PM
    Bluetooth FTW
    06-02-09 06:49 PM
    If your Bold's SD card shows up on a computer and your deck reads USB thumb drives, the Bold should be browsable via USB the same way a thumb drive is. There shouldn't be a file system issue... Pretty sure the BB just uses FAT32

06-02-09 07:38 PM
    Maybe. If you can find a USB to 3.5mm stereo jack cable. To bad it didn't have an AUX. port as those cables are easy to find. A 3.5mm to 3.5mm cord I mean. If you have a cassette deck you can use that kind of adapter.

mwave.com: CABLES TO GO 12ft 3.5mm mini stereo cable -- 3.5mm male / 3.5mm male (beige) (#27412) (retail)

Try this..............

USB Audio Adapter Converter connect 3.5mm speaker headphone
    Last edited by mke67; 06-02-09 at 08:45 PM.
    06-02-09 08:31 PM
    Ok, some people aren't understanding the full issue. No special cable will help. The Bold won't PLAY over the USB port, no matter what's on the other end of the cable. However, if you are connecting it to a device that can BROWSE a USB volume and play files from it (like say a car stereo with a USB data port in the deck), you should have no trouble browsing the SD card the same way you would with a computer.

06-02-09 08:44 PM
    Ok, some people aren't understanding the full issue. No special cable will help. The Bold won't PLAY over the USB port, no matter what's on the other end of the cable. However, if you are connecting it to a device that can BROWSE a USB volume and play files from it (like say a car stereo with a USB data port in the deck), you should have no trouble browsing the SD card the same way you would with a computer.

I know what he means.............

He is not talking about the USB on his BOLD, but on his CAR stereo. He does need a cable to link the two using his BOLD's 3.5mm head jack to his car stereo's USB. If a dongle exist it might work.
    06-02-09 08:51 PM
    He does need a cable to link the two using his BOLD's 3.5mm head jack to his car stereo's USB. If a dongle exist it might work.
    Now that won't do anything for sure. Depending on the head, it may or not be able to read the flash. AUX is really the best way to go here.
    06-02-09 08:55 PM
    Now that won't do anything for sure. Depending on the head, it may or not be able to read the flash. AUX is really the best way to go here.
    Oh ok. I use a cassette adapter in my car and it works beautifully. Adapter in cassette deck and 3.5mm stereo plug to my BOLD's headphone jack. I scroll through my BOLD's music players screen to select my music.

Thought if you use the dongle's mike plug as an input it would work.
    Last edited by mke67; 06-02-09 at 09:07 PM.
    06-02-09 09:05 PM
    That's why I say, "Let us know either way." If it works, it works. No guessing.

06-02-09 09:07 PM
    Information from a 3.5mm stereo jack is analog audio, not digital data. There is no way to browse the contents of an SD card through a 3.5mm jack regardless of what kind of cable you get. There's also no device that converts audio to a digital format that a device can receive via USB. If the Bold is what you're using as a player and you want to send the audio signal through the deck, you have to use an AUX cable (or Bluetooth if the deck supports it). If you want to use the deck as the audio player and just play files from your Bold, you just need the Bold set to Mass Storage mode and a USB cable. I guarantee the stereo isn't expecting a raw audio signal over the USB port.

06-02-09 09:29 PM
    Information from a 3.5mm stereo jack is analog audio, not digital data. There is no way to browse the contents of an SD card through a 3.5mm jack regardless of what kind of cable you get. There's also no device that converts audio to a digital format that a device can receive via USB. If the Bold is what you're using as a player and you want to send the audio signal through the deck, you have to use an AUX cable (or Bluetooth if the deck supports it). If you want to use the deck as the audio player and just play files from your Bold, you just need the Bold set to Mass Storage mode and a USB cable. I guarantee the stereo isn't expecting a raw audio signal over the USB port.

Whut he said.

06-02-09 09:38 PM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD