I haven't tested it yet and figured I'd ask the experts

Thanks!
    06-24-10 08:16 PM
    06-24-10 08:20 PM
    isn't wifi different than the normal browser?
    06-24-10 08:22 PM
    Oops, Sorry! I'm so used to browsing via Wi-fi, that I forgot about data. Regretfully, I don't know the answer - I never checked it out. I don't think it's possible though.

***UPDATE***
    I just placed an incoming call to my device while I was loading a page. The loading suspended while the call came through. After the call was terminated, the loading resumed.
    Last edited by RegE; 06-24-10 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Update
    06-24-10 08:30 PM
    Well maybe you can tell me how to do that. I enabled wifi and set up my phone to my router but after that I'm clueless. Its not downloading any faster. I could do some research but if you know, maybe you can clue me in faster
    06-24-10 08:33 PM
    If you're connected(illuminated icon), there's nothing more for you to do. I'd set the browser to hotspot - that affords a little faster browsing experience as it doesn't use the BIS network. Make a call via speakerphone and once connected, hop in the internet and see what you think.
    06-24-10 08:42 PM

Thanks!
    It cannot, not in the same way the Bold 9700 does on AT&T

Its not the device that makes it capable, its the network Verizon uses (CDMA Rev A) that does not support it. CDMA2000 chip sets on Rev B networks in theory CAN support it, however, Verizon made a calculated choice to run full steam ahead to LTE (4G technology) and in essance, bypassing Rev B upgrades to its network.

You can however set up wifi and do data through wifi and voice together while on a call. But if you leave the hotspot, you lose it as well. I personally use the app smartwifi which is very good. It turns wifi on by itself when you are in range of a preselected tower in your area (e.g. home or work) which then basically connects the wifi automatically (once you are within its range) giving you data and voice together with no effort on your part.

Its a pretty good workaround for the limitation on CDMA technology
    06-24-10 09:28 PM
    It cannot, not in the same way the Bold 9700 does on AT&T

Its not the device that makes it capable, its the network Verizon uses (CDMA Rev A) that does not support it. CDMA2000 chip sets on Rev B networks in theory CAN support it, however, Verizon made a calculated choice to run full steam ahead to LTE (4G technology) and in essance, bypassing Rev B upgrades to its network.

You can however set up wifi and do data through wifi and voice together while on a call. But if you leave the hotspot, you lose it as well. I personally use the app smartwifi which is very good. It turns wifi on by itself when you are in range of a preselected tower in your area (e.g. home or work) which then basically connects the wifi automatically (once you are within its range) giving you data and voice together with no effort on your part.

Its a pretty good workaround for the limitation on CDMA technology
    Sprint is probably just like Verizon as always... Well thank you for that good information, I'll have to look into all that.
    06-24-10 09:38 PM
    If you're connected(illuminated icon), there's nothing more for you to do. I'd set the browser to hotspot - that affords a little faster browsing experience as it doesn't use the BIS network. Make a call via speakerphone and once connected, hop in the internet and see what you think.
    Changed it to hotspot but not much different, i'll have to read up a bit more. I've made some half a$$ attempts to do this and know nothing. At least I know I'm connected to my router ok.

Thanks again
    06-24-10 09:39 PM

Thanks!
    I'm on the phone as we speak with my cousin and browsing on my Verizon Bold via Wifi ONLY...my data options work with no problems over wifi when I'm on the phone. But the data options do NOT work when I'm on a call and NOT connected to wifi...I guess it's just not possible on the CDMA 3g network...it works on GSM with ATT according to their commercials...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-10 09:52 PM
    it works on GSM with ATT according to their commercials...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    You can use voice/data simultaneously on AT&T or T-Mobile, provided you have a 3G connection (or use Wi-Fi for data just like on CDMA). If you are on EDGE (2G) on AT&T or T-Mobile, you cannot use voice/data simultaneously without Wi-Fi for the data.
    06-24-10 09:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD