11-01-10 05:09 PM
32 12
tools
    I currently have a wireless linksys b router. And it is giving me internet connection problem. It is about 6 yrs old. I want to get a new wireless router. Will the 9700 works with a linksys N router? Or it only works with a b or g router?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-10 11:33 AM
    the wireless n router should support g
    01-08-10 11:35 AM
    Yes the 9700 should connect to the N router because as noaim said, the router should also be able to connect to G and B series devices as well.
    01-08-10 12:24 PM
    Getting an N router for JUST your phone is pointless since the 9700 does not support wireless N. Spend less and get a B/G router
    01-08-10 12:31 PM
    Yes the 9700 should connect to the N router because as noaim said, the router should also be able to connect to G and B series devices as well.
    this is worded incorrectly. Wirelss N routers BROADCAST wireless B/G signals as well

You could go all out and get a Dual Band router that will broadcast both N and B/G at the same time. Mmmmm!
    01-08-10 12:32 PM
    I currently have a wireless linksys b router. And it is giving me internet connection problem. It is about 6 yrs old. I want to get a new wireless router. Will the 9700 works with a linksys N router? Or it only works with a b or g router?

You can connect your BB to an N router, but it's widely known that N routers have issues with Blackberries. You can see the UMA guide in my sig for help setting it up, but please know ahead of time that N routers DO have issues with Blackberries.

Don't let anyone try and tell you they don't. I have 15+ years working with wired/wireless networks and BB's.
    01-08-10 12:41 PM
    this is worded incorrectly. Wirelss N routers BROADCAST wireless B/G signals as well

You could go all out and get a Dual Band router that will broadcast both N and B/G at the same time. Mmmmm!
    Actually, your post is mis-worded.

802.11n is an admendment to the 802.11 standard to provide higher throughput. This can be applied to either 802.11a or 802.11b/g networks. If on a 802.11b/g/n network, G devices should (in theory) behave normally.

You cannot have a N only network from a hardware standpoint.

3CISSBB - Not all N routers have issues with BB Wi-Fi and/or UMA. I currently use a DIR-655 router with the 40mhz channel width enabled and have no issues with my 9700. WiFi/UMA is steady and I've been on conference calls that lasted quite a while, and I finally got disconnected due to the 4hr call limit on t-mobile's network.
    Last edited by se1000; 01-08-10 at 01:04 PM.
    01-08-10 12:57 PM
    Actually, your post is mis-worded.

802.11n is an admendment to the 802.11 standard to provide higher throughput. This can be applied to either 802.11a or 802.11b/g networks. If on a 802.11b/g/n network, G devices should (in theory) behave normally.

3CISSBB - Not all N routers have issues with BB Wi-Fi and/or UMA. I currently use a DIR-655 router with the 40mhz channel width enabled and have no issues with my 9700. WiFi/UMA is steady and I've been on conference calls that lasted quite a while, and I finally got disconnected due to the 4hr call limit on t-mobile's network.
    From my experience with my single band N router, because it can only broadcast 1 signal at a time, you can specify what type of signal to broadcast. N/G/B/Mixed. So I'm not wrong in saying an N router will broadcast a G signal because you are given the option to specify.
    01-08-10 01:02 PM
    From my experience with my single band N router, because it can only broadcast 1 signal at a time, you can specify what type of signal to broadcast. N/G/B/Mixed. So I'm not wrong in saying an N router will broadcast a G signal because you are given the option to specify.
    802.11N, is not a different signal than 802.11G. It is simply 802.11G MIMO.
    01-08-10 01:15 PM
    I have that same router, and mine works perfect!
    01-08-10 01:18 PM
    Mine is connected. No problem. Linsys at home and Time Capsule at work. Both are "N".

Bold007
    01-08-10 01:26 PM
    I have a 160 N router. I had no problems with UMA on my 8900 and now 9700 works perfectly.
    01-08-10 01:26 PM
    01-08-10 09:27 PM
    You can connect your BB to an N router, but it's widely known that N routers have issues with Blackberries. You can see the UMA guide in my sig for help setting it up, but please know ahead of time that N routers DO have issues with Blackberries.

Don't let anyone try and tell you they don't. I have 15+ years working with wired/wireless networks and BB's.
    so what router do u have? links would be great. thx.
    01-08-10 09:29 PM
    This is probably the best idea, if you can afford it. You can set it up to broadcast B/G to your wireless devices and such (cell phones/playstaion 3), and save the N for computers etc...
    01-08-10 09:34 PM
    I have a linksys WRT160 rangemax router ($32 on ebay shipped for a refurb!) And it works great. Used it just fine with my 8320 on UMA and it works fine with my 9700 and my wifes iPhone. Enjoy!

01-08-10 09:35 PM
    Using a linksys N router with my 9700 with no issues at all.

01-08-10 09:39 PM
    Buffalo N router at the office, SSID non broadcast with MAC filtering: No problem with BB 8320, 8900 and 9700.

Same goes for at my home Linksys WRT b/g non broadcast no MAC filtering.

The bottom line is that I do not see why Linksys N router will not work with BB 9700.
    01-08-10 09:44 PM
    I have an N at home and it works just fine with my 9700.
    01-08-10 09:47 PM
    Real happy w/my Linksys/Cisco Wireless-N Home Router WRT120N, that I bought on eBay

Step up to the speed of Wireless-N!

Get connected without wires. The Wireless-N Home Router gives you a wireless connection that's twice the speed of Wireless-G so your whole family can share a broadband Internet connection and access files from almost anywhere in the house.

Wireless Freedom
    Wireless-N technology lets you surf the web from the living room, play on-line games from the bedroom, and listen to your digital music in the kitchen. The extra speed lets you connect more devices, and move files faster. And Wireless-N works great with your older devices, too.

Device Connectivity
    Keep your digital files in one place, and share them from any computer on your network. Four built-in 10/100 Ethernet ports make it easy to connect additional wired computers, storage, printers, and other wired devices to your network.

Security Made Simple
    Wireless security and firewall protection help safeguard your home network and computers from most Internet attacks.
    01-08-10 09:58 PM
    This is probably the best idea, if you can afford it. You can set it up to broadcast B/G to your wireless devices and such (cell phones/playstaion 3), and save the N for computers etc...
    Good luck finding one of those. That's like a dual-G router....... oh yeah they have a name for that, 802.11N.
    01-09-10 01:20 AM
    I've posted this in another thread but I'm wondering if anyone here has encountered similar issues.

I have the 8900 Curve and when I'm at home and I make or receive a call while the BB is in UMA mode, it knocks all the other computers offline so I can't access the internet, and I have to restart my router after the call.

I can't disable wifi mode because I get zero cell signal strength in my apartment. UMA is the only way to make decent calls when I'm at home.

It's a Belkin Wireless-N that's broadcasting in B & G mode. I've turned of QoS. and I've changed the channel a few times (in case there was too much traffic.) My ISP is Verizon DSL in NYC and speed test is showing 1.5Mbps down/.11Mbs up on dsl.

Any thoughts on what to do or how to resolve this?

TIA!
    02-08-10 09:43 AM
    My Linksys WRT 160 N works just fine with my Bold 9700.

It's configured in Mixed network mode, which means it will broadcast in B, G and N bands. You can configure it for N only, but that will break compatibility with your Blackberry.
    02-08-10 11:45 AM
    UMA should only need about 30-35kbps of upstream bandwidth but that is about 1/3 of what you have so that might be the issue. Is the firmware up-to-date on the router?
    02-08-10 01:24 PM
    Yeah, it's the latest firmware they offered. About 2 yrs old.
    02-08-10 03:05 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD