I am coming from a 3G IPhone and the picture quality on that phone was great. Which, makes little sense to me since the camera on the 3G IPhone is 2.0 Megapixel camera and the one on the Bold is a 2.0 Megapixel camera. Why is the quality of the pics I take with my Bold so poor - grainy, blurry, etc.?
    09-30-08 11:56 AM
    the simple answer is that picture quality has little to do with the amount of mega pixels. Mega Pixcels define the size more than anything.
    09-30-08 02:05 PM
    Mine takes good pictures... I always found the iPhone camera sucked...

so we are on different sides haha.
    09-30-08 02:06 PM
    I'm with you eldonjr, I find the camera on my Bold takes awesome pictures. Did you remember to remove the protective plastic off the lens?
    09-30-08 02:18 PM
    Mine takes good pictures... I always found the iPhone camera sucked...

so we are on different sides haha.

I do not believe this, I will wait to compare the Bold when it comes out. iPhone takes great pictures, can't deny that
    09-30-08 02:19 PM
    There are several things that can affect image quality.

First is a protective cover. If you are using a case with a "clear" cover over the lens, that will have huge effect of image quality.

Next is using Zoom. The zoom is accomplished by reducing the size of the image sensor, resulting in a grainy image.

Light lever is another contributing factor. Outdoors in full Sunlight produces the best images, indoor pictures will suffer from low light levels. The flash is pretty well mandatory.

Check your Camera Options. White Balance should be set to Automatic. Picture size should be set to Large and Picture Quality set to Superfine.

This is typical of the image quality.
    09-30-08 02:37 PM
    I do not believe this, I will wait to compare the Bold when it comes out. iPhone takes great pictures, can't deny that
    i can. having formerly owned both the original and the 3G version, i found it to take horrible pictures.

yes, it is possible to get great quality photos out of the iPhone's camera. but it's only possible pretty much when outside in bright daylight or in an area inside that is very heavily lit. otherwise, the camera is pretty much useless. and because it's only usable in that one situation, i consider it to be horrendous.

the Bold's performance as a camera beats the iPhone in clarity as well as it's ability to be effectively used in more places (used mine in an only slightly lit bar last night and it worked fine.

but this is all strictly my opinion.
    09-30-08 02:39 PM
    i can. having formerly owned both the original and the 3G version, i found it to take horrible pictures.

yes, it is possible to get great quality photos out of the iPhone's camera. but it's only possible pretty much when outside in bright daylight or in an area inside that is very heavily lit. otherwise, the camera is pretty much useless. and because it's only usable in that one situation, i consider it to be horrendous.

the Bold's performance as a camera beats the iPhone in clarity as well as it's ability to be effectively used in more places (used mine in an only slightly lit bar last night and it worked fine.

but this is all strictly my opinion.

have owned both verisons of the iPhone and have seen pictures taken with the Bold (do not have one YET, damn AT&T), but what I will say is you may have needed to adjust your settings in the iPhone IMO. My phone takes great pictures indoors and out. I was very surprised with the clarity of the iPhone originally.

Guess I will have to wait and see
    09-30-08 02:42 PM
    have owned both verisons of the iPhone and have seen pictures taken with the Bold (do not have one YET, damn AT&T), but what I will say is you may have needed to adjust your settings in the iPhone IMO. My phone takes great pictures indoors and out. I was very surprised with the clarity of the iPhone originally.

Guess I will have to wait and see
    what settings? there are absolutely no settings for the camera application. you open it, and can take a snapshot. nothing else. and please dont say "well when it's jailbroken, you have more options" because that doesnt excuse the fact that out of the box, the iPhone lacks in any type of photography abilities.

not trying to give you a hard time or anything. just pointing out the facts.
    09-30-08 02:50 PM
    Well...here is a pic I took today (indoors, good lighting, no zoom). Does not even compare to the IPhone pics I took. Checked my settings and they are all normal.
    09-30-08 03:53 PM
    You want to see a sucky camera, try the Curve. I have tried everything and nothing helps.
    09-30-08 03:57 PM
    what settings? there are absolutely no settings for the camera application. you open it, and can take a snapshot. nothing else. and please dont say "well when it's jailbroken, you have more options" because that doesnt excuse the fact that out of the box, the iPhone lacks in any type of photography abilities.

not trying to give you a hard time or anything. just pointing out the facts.
    First, I never mentioned Jailbroken anywhere in my post, so before putting your foot in your mouth re-read the post.

Second, "excuse the fact that out of the box, the iPhone lacks in any type of photography abilities." I do not know what was wrong with your phone or you may have been doing something wrong but the iPhone photo capabilities are pretty good. My phone takes good photos and so does my buddy's 16 GB and I'm at work so I can't post a picture I have on my iPhone. Are you making the comparison to just your Bold or other phones?

Also "not trying to give you a hard time or anything. just pointing out the facts." these are not facts, they are opinions, yours and mine.
    09-30-08 05:13 PM
    First, I never mentioned Jailbroken anywhere in my post, so before putting your foot in your mouth re-read the post.

Second, "excuse the fact that out of the box, the iPhone lacks in any type of photography abilities." I do not know what was wrong with your phone or you may have been doing something wrong but the iPhone photo capabilities are pretty good. My phone takes good photos and so does my buddy's 16 GB and I'm at work so I can't post a picture I have on my iPhone. Are you making the comparison to just your Bold or other phones?

Also "not trying to give you a hard time or anything. just pointing out the facts." these are not facts, they are opinions, yours and mine.
    i wasnt attacking you in any sort of way. never once did i say that you used the jailbroken excuse. i was simply saying that it isn't an excuse before you or anyone else chimed in and said "well if you jailbreak it, you can install other applications for photo taking and editing". so no, I will not be putting my foot anywhere near my mouth.

there was absolutely nothing wrong with my phone. i would never expect you to be able to just magically know my phone history or anything so you have every right to make that accusation towards me. however, in the last few months, i have personally owned and used regularly an iPhone 3G, a Bold, an N95 (both the -3 and -4), an E71, and thats just to name a few. so yes, my comparisons are more than just with my Bold.

in addition, I have handled multiple units of the iPhone 3G. so mine just didn't happen to be "defective".

as I mentioned previously, the iPhone takes good pictures when you have proper lighting. But we don't live in a perfect world and not everywhere has perfect lighting. And when I said that the iPhone has no photographic abilities, i was 100% right and there's no denying that. because I was referring to the abilities to manipulate and edit the way your camera takes pictures. where is white balance? where is night mode? where is auto focus? where is color adjustment? heck, where is resolution? you have one option within the camera application: shoot.

in broad daylight with the sun just right, yes, the iPhone gets the job done. but I don't retreat into hiding when the sun goes down like a vampire. and you don't even need a flash to help that situation. a simple night mode could have at least PARTIALLY remedied that for the iPhone. but unfortunately, that was one of many many other things that Apple conveniently left out.

does that clarify better?
    09-30-08 05:30 PM
    I used a friend's Blackberry Bold to take a picture in a dark bar, with flash, and the pictures were really bad; worse than the photo linked above. I know a dark bar is a tough test, but with the flash I was really hoping they would be much better.

I'm hopeful the Blackberry Javelin's camera will be better. And I agree the mega pixels don't really matter much. 2mp is fine with me. The lens and other attributes are much more important. I set my 8mp Canon camera at 2mp for most pictures and unless I'm printing big photos, it's all the resolution I need for great photos. I remain hopeful that it won't be too much longer before blackberry cameras are good enough so I can leave the Canon at home.
    09-30-08 05:50 PM
    i have a curve and my pics come out great

these are settings;

09-30-08 05:57 PM
    Is there any aps that allow you to edit (auto correct / crop) images after?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-18-08 05:37 AM
    I found those settings easily and photo quality really wasn't too bad. I WAS able to zoom using the trackball..... but now suddenly, it won't. What's up? Was I crazy and it never had a zoom feature? Sure thought it did! Help!
    11-29-08 04:13 PM
    I gotta weigh in on the Bold too. IMHO the camera is poor. Good enough to remember your parking space, and better than nothing in a pinch. But for the premier Blackberry I hoped for better.
    11-29-08 05:22 PM
    Hey - found an answer on this forum that worked - I turned it off and took out the battery. Now I can use the track ball to zoom. A red icon on the right side just above the red telephone (hang up) button used to be there and now it is not. Don't know what that icon was... anybody?>
    11-29-08 08:47 PM
    my last phone was a Sony Ericsson P910 - so the camera on the Bold is GREAT in comparison!
    11-29-08 08:48 PM
    I have owned the Bold for a while now, and my friend has an iphone. I was always impressed by the camera on the iphone...the pic quality is great, you really can't compare the two, as the iphone really has a better cam, but...as the camera's not a huge deal for me, the Bold is the clear choice out of the two.

The Javelin also takes much better pictures than the Bold.
    11-29-08 08:56 PM
    Gee, I'm quite happy with my Bold's pics! I have some great pics with and without the flash. In fact, people who see my pics can't believe they are from a cell phone.

But, that pic earlier, did look awfully grainy and so far (knock on wood) none of mine have turned out that way.
    11-29-08 09:47 PM
    as for me, I always found the bold's camera pretty good, taking decent pictures very quick. I dunno what all the fuss is about, but mine takes better pictures than my Storm which comes with a 3.2 megapixel camera
    11-30-08 05:44 AM
    the bold camera sucks..im coming from nokia n82 and n95 8 gb so it was a major downgrade..but yes it does suck
    11-30-08 06:14 AM
    Hey - found an answer on this forum that worked - I turned it off and took out the battery. Now I can use the track ball to zoom. A red icon on the right side just above the red telephone (hang up) button used to be there and now it is not. Don't know what that icon was... anybody?>
    The red icon on the bottom right is for geotagging. The red indicates the camera is waiting for the location coordinates from the GPS. Once it gets the coordinates, it turns white.

If you are inside you probably won't get GPS coordinates.

If you are not using the geotagging, you can turn that off via the camera options.
    11-30-08 06:31 AM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD