I'm a bit confused here. Since the BlackBerry BOLD 9900 doesn't have auto focus, how does one focus? I clicked on the screen thinking that it would 'focus', but it doesn't seem to.

Also, it seems if I zoom in to take a photo, the photo is rather grainy. I guess I'm just use to the iPhone camera; or do I not know how to take photos with it properly?

Any ideas?
    09-08-11 06:57 AM
    You cannot change the focus with it, is it made to show anything in focus from a distance of more than a metre away. Zooming simply crops the photo just like every phone does, and doesn't give you a better picture. To get the best photos, you must stand at least 1 metre away from the subject, ensure there is a lot of lighting, and just take the shot, you'll take great pictures every time.

The photo is grainy/noisy due to insufficient light. Every camera on a phone has this issue. But because this phone has a fixed focus camera lens, you must always take pictures from farther away than you normally would for small subjects. For things that are farther away, it is already in focus. Hope this helps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    rafiks likes this.
    09-08-11 07:21 AM
    Useless? What? What world are you in? People need to remember, this is not an SLR! You want an iPhone, GO GET IT. Only the ill-informed buy a phone thinking it will have SLR quality images. I take pictures for a living, and love this camera! Although it has limitations, as does EVERY camera phone, it isn't an SLR! Without the autofocus, it takes photos quicker. Go play with a torch at an AT&T (Satan's Shop) and compare the two. You want an iPhone, go get one, and remember there's forums for you too! Apple droids love their devices, I was one for 6 months. Go get an entry level basic, easy to use iPhone. Let Jobs and cronies tell you what your phone should be like.
    dollface likes this.
    09-08-11 08:03 AM
    I love the camera. Its waaaay better than my storm 2!
    09-08-11 08:20 AM
    Useless? What? What world are you in? People need to remember, this is not an SLR! You want an iPhone, GO GET IT. Only the ill-informed buy a phone thinking it will have SLR quality images. I take pictures for a living, and love this camera! Although it has limitations, as does EVERY camera phone, it isn't an SLR! Without the autofocus, it takes photos quicker. Go play with a torch at an AT&T (Satan's Shop) and compare the two. You want an iPhone, go get one, and remember there's forums for you too! Apple droids love their devices, I was one for 6 months. Go get an entry level basic, easy to use iPhone. Let Jobs and cronies tell you what your phone should be like.
    I am a professional photographer as well, and so therefore have plenty of real cameras laying about, one is always in my purse if I demand a super sharp high quality image. But I have been pretty amazed at the quality coming out of the Blackberrys since I owned my Tour. If the need is for high quality images, then you'll need to carry a real camera with you.
    09-08-11 08:52 AM
    In an effort to test my 9900 camera, I took this with closeup, low light. It looks TERRIBLE!

09-08-11 10:56 PM
    Another with 'auto' option. Simply terrible, again...

09-08-11 11:00 PM
    You guys need to search thru the forums, this has been discussed many times before. Forget doing close up shots with the bold, the only way is to back up the camera and zoom in as the EDof camera focus only works from about a feet and further. Here are some useful posts you can read thru and learn to master the bold camera which in fact takes great pictures once you get the hang of it.

EDoF versus Auto-focus: Understanding the compromises involved

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-world-638430/
    09-08-11 11:09 PM
    Another with 'auto' option. Simply terrible, again...

you're too close. take it like maybe 2-3 feet away .
    09-08-11 11:09 PM
    Wherever you took those photos, looks like your in the dark. Go take a picture outside and watch the camera spring to life!
    09-08-11 11:19 PM
    I'm a bit confused here...
    Confused?

For a retired moderator with nearly 8000 posts... you should be ashamed of yourself
    anon(153966) likes this.
    09-08-11 11:35 PM
    Lol @ all the people standing behind a shtty camera.
    Why not admit it? If the camera is sub par admit it!!!! We still have our QWERTY keyboards!!! Hahhaah

09-09-11 12:02 AM
    I'm really starting to believe there is a batch of 9900s with a bad camera. Not great but certainly better then the ones above.
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 09-09-11 at 04:52 AM.
    09-09-11 04:45 AM
    Confused?

For a retired moderator with nearly 8000 posts... you should be ashamed of yourself

i didnt know we could talk like this on crackberry.
    thanks for the "eye-opener" wiseguy
    09-09-11 06:11 AM
    Lol @ all the people standing behind a shtty camera.
    Why not admit it? If the camera is sub par admit it!!!! We still have our QWERTY keyboards!!! Hahhaah

may your generation be blessed.
    09-09-11 06:13 AM
    I'm really starting to believe there is a batch of 9900s with a bad camera. Not great but certainly better then the ones above.
    i said same thing in a different camera complaint forum.
    09-09-11 06:14 AM
    i didnt know RIM could stoop so low to perform such a stunt because of the drive for profit.
    09-09-11 06:16 AM
    Clearly lighting has a lot to do with it...

09-09-11 06:48 AM
    What resolution is this?
    09-09-11 08:05 AM
    ...it's 2560 x 1920 (the max on the 9900)
    09-09-11 10:13 AM
    its still not as clear as that of other people.

i think me and you are part of the batch that got maybe a 2.0 mega pixel camera installed on our phones even though we bought a 9900.

mine is ROGER. is yours ROGER too?
    09-09-11 10:30 AM
    ...no, mine it a T-Mobile one.
    09-09-11 10:46 AM
    the time you took to post, reply, and take sample photos, you could have bought a torch with auto-focus or an iPhone.

Yes, this camera lacks quality photos, but it is a camera phone. Is the iPhone camera better? YES. Apple os sucks and so does the keyboard. Could RIM have put auto focus on this phone? YES. Could RIM have made a better camera? YES.

For the most of us, we are satisfied with the keyboard, web browsing, and other features on this phone. It sounds like you are unhappy. Return the phone, or get another device on a different platform altogether. Spend more time complaining to RIM. They need to hear from people too. Crying in forums only gets you so far. I send a lot of feedback to APPLE, RIM, and other companies. I do get many responses too.
    09-09-11 01:31 PM
    Another picture I shot with the camera.

Mt Rainier | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    anon(153966) likes this.
    09-09-11 07:31 PM
    Camera is average
    09-09-11 07:32 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD