This is my second day with my 9930 and all of my photos that I have taken are very grainy. I check all settings and both indoors and out even in natural sunlight all of my shots at 5MP are horrible. Any suggestions would be helpful. This is a deal breaker for me if I can't get better photos.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-18-11 01:03 PM
    Show some samples pls
    08-18-11 01:23 PM
    The OP asked for suggestions on taking better pictures with the 9900/30. There are enough threads about the camera. Either provide helpful suggestions or don't post. TIA.
    08-18-11 01:43 PM
    I have some very nice pictures taken with the camera (they are of family and friends so I will not be sharing them publicly.) but I have no issues with the camera at all.
    08-18-11 01:43 PM
    I absolutely love the camera, and now that I figgured out how to take good close up pictures I love it even more. It's very fast and easy to use, point, shoot and a clear picture comes out every time.

08-18-11 01:47 PM
    for close ups, I pull the phone back about 2ft and zoom in.
    Turn the flash on.
    Is the plastic cover still on the lens?

I get great pics from mine, even indoors and close.
    08-18-11 01:53 PM
    I took some important pics today and they weren't the best. I guess we'll just have to take multiple shots until a nice one is taken.
    08-18-11 01:54 PM
    This is where the 9900 camera wins:

First pic - I asked my girl to shake her head as fast as she can, the result - only a tiny pit of blur where the hair flicked.

Second pic - the water drops on the window and everything behind it but far away is in perfect focus, this shot would be impossible with autofocus.
    08-18-11 01:55 PM
    Wow even the mods r pathetic touchy little fruits who delete any posts they don't like that talk down on their precious blackberry hahahahha u guys will love this but I'm done with this forum forever. I won't b cencored and have some candy azz **** hurt mods coming in deleting posts because they can't handle the truth that the camera is virtually useless. Good riddens this forum has gone down hill steady since 09 each year I come back its worse this is unbelievable though deleting posts because people tell the truth about the camera u mods disgust me

@belfastdispatcher : u gonna tell how u managaed to get the camera to take good photos or just say it did lol

PATHETIC DISGUSTED u r only hurting rim by being such faggots about this

BMizracha likes this.
    08-18-11 01:56 PM
    for close ups, I pull the phone back about 2ft and zoom in.
    Turn the flash on.
    Is the plastic cover still on the lens?

I get great pics from mine, even indoors and close.
    Same here!

08-18-11 01:59 PM
    Dude man... Post and say something useful... That's why he deleted your post... Cuz it was garbage and didn't help anyone...
    08-18-11 02:01 PM
    Same here!

Some call it a workaround, I call it a different technique.
    08-18-11 02:01 PM
    Wow even the mods r pathetic touchy little fruits who delete any posts they don't like that talk down on their precious blackberry hahahahha u guys will love this but I'm done with this forum forever. I won't b cencored and have some candy azz **** hurt mods coming in deleting posts because they can't handle the truth that the camera is virtually useless. Good riddens this forum has gone down hill steady since 09 each year I come back its worse this is unbelievable though deleting posts because people tell the truth about the camera u mods disgust me

@belfastdispatcher : u gonna tell how u managaed to get the camera to take good photos or just say it did lol

PATHETIC DISGUSTED u r only hurting rim by being such faggots about this

I deleted you post because it was off topic. Furthermore I've been one of the people who have absolutely blasted this travesty of a camera in the 9900/30. It should not be in the flagship BlackBerry device plain and simple. I've said it many times.

I'm not however going to let you or anyone else come in here an hijack the OP's thread. There are enough threads already about how poor the camera is. The OP wanted help, he didn't want confirmation of what many already know.
    08-18-11 02:03 PM
    This is where the 9900 camera wins:

First pic - I asked my girl to shake her head as fast as she can, the result - only a tiny pit of blur where the hair flicked.

Second pic - the water drops on the window and everything behind it but far away is in perfect focus, this shot would be impossible with autofocus.
    Great examples. This makes me feel better about making the switch on Sun.
    08-18-11 02:04 PM
    This is my second day with my 9930 and all of my photos that I have taken are very grainy. I check all settings and both indoors and out even in natural sunlight all of my shots at 5MP are horrible. Any suggestions would be helpful. This is a deal breaker for me if I can't get better photos.

If you are comparing it to the quality of shots you've taken with previous BB's you will confirm what others have been saying.....
    ...The camera takes an inferior photograph with a camera of lower mp that has AF.

Aside from that I would guess that the way to take better pictures would be to mainly shoot subjects that EDOF systems does better than AF. Such as some type of action shot you wouldn't have had enough time to shoot with a berry that had AF.

No doubt that the edof camera is faster and provided you keep your subject matter within those few conditions an EdoF is better you would certainly experience better pictures.
    08-18-11 02:10 PM
    thanks to belfast---the camera looks like IT DOES take great pics!
    08-18-11 02:34 PM
    thanks to belfast---the camera looks like IT DOES take great pics!
    Bare in mind the pictures get uploaded at a third of their real size, they seem to save at 1.4mb now. My 9700 saved them at around 500kb or less.

08-18-11 02:44 PM
    I'm starting to think more and more that the secret for close up text is the flash, I'll post more pics later.

08-18-11 02:53 PM
    I'm starting to think more and more that the secret for close up text is the flash, I'll post more pics later.

Much appreciated. But the question is, how often are you successful? I don't want to have to take a picture 3 times before I'm satisfied.

Also if I was taking a close up of a person's face, I wouldn't want the flash to blind them. Any more workarounds?
    08-18-11 02:57 PM
    I actually had a haze on the glass in directly in front of the lens. water, my breath, soft fabric would not remove the haze. I took a mr. clean magic eraser and it was crystal clear again. Maybe you have something on the lens combined with poor lighting conditions? I've seen really bad and good pictures from the 9900. Have you had any other hiccups with the phone? If so maybe a fresh OS load will help? Good luck to you and congrats on the 9900!
    08-18-11 03:07 PM
    Much appreciated. But the question is, how often are you successful? I don't want to have to take a picture 3 times before I'm satisfied.

Also if I was taking a close up of a person's face, I wouldn't want the flash to blind them. Any more workarounds?
    Face shots are not the close ups we're talking about, when we say close up we mean taking a picture of a few words on paper.

Face or even a hand comes up clear.

And yes, successful every time.
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 08-18-11 at 03:29 PM.
    08-18-11 03:26 PM
    I just got my 9930 and it's working fine for me. Tested out the camera and here are the results. The close ups were taken from about 1 to 2 feet away and using the zoom. Not great close ups but I rarely ever take pictures like this. There were no special settings applies. Just went out and casually shot them.

Remember these were the first shots I've taken. Just gave it a quick try with out anything other than point and shoot.

I'm not concerned at this point. It's my choice and I'm happy with it. What works for you is what you must decide.
    08-18-11 04:06 PM
    I just got my 9930 and it's working fine for me. Tested out the camera and here are the results. The close ups were taken from about 1 to 2 feet away and using the zoom. Not great close ups but I rarely ever take pictures like this. There were no special settings applies. Just went out and casually shot them.

Remember these were the first shots I've taken. Just gave it a quick try with out anything other than point and shoot.

I'm not concerned at this point. It's my choice and I'm happy with it. What works for you is what you must decide.
    The close ups are unusable, and the others, while "OK," do seem to contain quite a bit of noise distortion, which would have been acceptable 2 or 3 years ago but NOT from a flagship model in late 2011.
    08-18-11 05:17 PM
    a huge blunder by rim imo.camera should have been autofocus.my word is not going to make them change it anyways.the i5 is going to blow this away with its 8mp camera.
    08-18-11 06:44 PM

Is this a mash-up of The Emperor's New 9930 Photos? Those shots are awful.
    08-18-11 07:49 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD