I received my 9930 today from verizon. Although the section
    We're refering to here isn't lifted up, its not a smooth transition
    From the screen to the call panel. There's a very noticeable edge
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I would replace it as I did. I still have a little bit of a lip but it isn't noticeable hardly at all now. It can't be glued down because it is part of the design. Therefore you have to get one from the manufacturer that is as flat as possible...its the best you can do.
    08-16-11 02:03 PM
    Mine is fine so far after 5 days
    08-16-11 02:04 PM
    Speaking of which, my Blackberry button (menu) is hard to press on. Escape is fine. Anyone?

08-17-11 12:36 AM
    I would replace it as I did. I still have a little bit of a lip but it isn't noticeable hardly at all now. It can't be glued down because it is part of the design. Therefore you have to get one from the manufacturer that is as flat as possible...its the best you can do.
    Now I AM going OCD but........ My fear with the lip is that as you catch it with your finger coming off and on screen to trackpad, you lift it, and the detritus from the screen and finger gets pushed into the gap, storing up problems under the panel with the action of the buttons.

Just a plain design boob I think.
    08-17-11 06:58 AM
    Interesting that the video's of the 9790 show the screen and call end panel all one piece - I wonder why they didn't do this for the 9900?
    08-17-11 04:40 PM
    Had a torch, did the same thing. With this design this will always be a problem..

With the current hardware issues plaguing this phone, how can they proudly say this is their flagship device? Skimping out on every turn possible trying to cut costs. Pathetic.

08-17-11 05:30 PM
    I just got my bold today and the lower right panel where the Verizon logo was sticking up I just popped in back in so far so good.

08-17-11 05:38 PM
    Had a torch, did the same thing. With this design this will always be a problem..

With the current hardware issues plaguing this phone, how can they proudly say this is their flagship device? Skimping out on every turn possible trying to cut costs. Pathetic.

I agree 100%.
    I was going to pick one up on second line until finding out that they cheated picture quality amongst other things.
    Now finding out its the same old Rim shabby build quality I'm glad camera held me back.
    My 9630 / 9650 days finding solid build was difficult Im so thankful I don't have to go through that again.
    08-17-11 05:43 PM
    I maybe hallucinating but I think mine has actually relaxed a bit and it is sitting a bit more flush with the screen. May be wrong but perhaps once the plastic fatigues it won't be an issue. Having said that though the first one was crazy raised up.
    bobj66 likes this.
    08-17-11 07:44 PM
    I just got my bold today and the lower right panel where the Verizon logo was sticking up I just popped in back in so far so good.

same with me, I freaked out at first, but then popped it back down and it's been fine since
    08-17-11 07:49 PM

That was like my 9900 last week. The new one is on there, but there's a slight flex from where the carrier logo goes.
    08-17-11 07:57 PM
    Is it possible that in their quest for ultimate thinness (word?) they had to build this way? Any separate mechanisms would take up more space and make the device thicker and probably heavier. This, plus the battery life issues some are having is making me hold tight until I can see one in the store.

08-17-11 08:00 PM
    I maybe hallucinating but I think mine has actually relaxed a bit and it is sitting a bit more flush with the screen. May be wrong but perhaps once the plastic fatigues it won't be an issue. Having said that though the first one was crazy raised up.
    Strangely enough, the plastic on my 9930 is basically fine, except for the left side near the Send and Blackberry buttons, it is actually tougher and stiffer to click on and register the menu. And yes, my trackpad squeaks too. darn. really no big deal, but I just think it's the same skimpy assembly as used on all of the previous trackpad phones... and it just doesn't suit the 9930, because really it is a VERY superb device overall.
    08-17-11 10:08 PM
    Two Hunngarian 9900s here - both of them have the menu keys ever so slightly raised from the screen, although from left to right by the time you get to the end call this is just about sitting flush on both.

Very marginal though, but 9900s out of Hungary are exhibiting this as well.

Are they supposed to sit flush with the screen by design ?

I've got a 9810 here as well and the menu keys are not flush with the screen on that either and that's Canadian built !
    08-17-11 10:41 PM
    I would have to think it is meant to be flush i.e. if it is too raised up your finger feels like it is being cut by something sharp when you slide it down to the panel. It was quite sharp on my first one. My second one is pretty well flush like yours.
    08-17-11 11:25 PM
    This is just bad design and I'm constantly amazed by the kind of crap that gets past quality control. It's as if they haven't really thought about what kind of things could possibly start to go wrong with normal use, just like their decision to use a trackball on the 9000 which became unusable due to accumulation of dirt, sweat and grease (I had to change mine 3 times). This is seriously affecting my decision to get the 9900 - I don't care if anyone thinks this is being "picky" or whatever, I just don't want to be in a situation whereby a few months or a year down the line I've got buttons which are peeling off. The build quality of a phone is only as good as its weakest part and this is not good.

You aren't being picky. You paid good money for a quality device and it should not have these issues plaguing it. I say return it if it truly is a defect until you get one that satisfies you.
    08-30-11 01:54 PM
    mines flush and its fine. its a mexico build 1.
    08-30-11 01:58 PM
    Mine was Mexico 4 and it has the same problem on the call/end panel not being flush with the device.

I hope my next one is from Canada, is that too hard to ask?
    08-30-11 02:05 PM
    my end key is raised aswell around trackpad which makes it really hard to use. everytime you lightly touch around the trackpad it squeeks. this cant be normal. its bs. this is my third device. my first one did not stick up and was flush with the screen it was perfect minus the back button not responding! BB qualty seems to be getting worse and worse. also my dislpay the whites look yellow as well as the bottom peice is bulging up in the middle.My sleep button up top is ressesed below the frame which makes it really hard to press. i didnt have that issue with my last 2 either. overall this device is a POS.
    Last edited by Noobie101; 08-30-11 at 02:21 PM.
    08-30-11 02:17 PM
    my verizon 9930 is flush, I haven't seen a sprint 9930 flush yet..
    08-30-11 02:23 PM
    mines raised ever so slightly now just above the back key. you can feel it with your finger. but im not overly concerned now, im just guessing the panel is only attached at the ends, and this is just it freeing up
    08-30-11 03:30 PM
    I've seen close to 20 units now and I would say 80% of them are not perfectly flush. Of the 80% defective only about 2-3 I would say were really horrendous i.e. a big gap and the rest were 'alright.'

I have one that is perfectly flush but it has other issues which makes me afraid of replacing it for fear of the replacement not being flush.
    08-30-11 04:30 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD