I was all set to buy the 8900, did a little poking around and found lots of varying info on the onyx, with little recent mention of possible release date. I have TMO and by MotoRokr E8 is killing me. If I knew I only had to wait until September, then I would wait for the new phone. If it is looking more like beginning of 2010, then I want the 8900 now.

I have an available upgrade and don't want to use it up, just to find in a week that the onyx/driftwood will be dropped in September.

I was looking at some older info on the Tour, and found that in the middle of June, when the announcement was being announced, there was still some skepticism as to whether or not the Tour even existed. What I am saying here is that we really could find nothing out until last minute.

I live in Utah, where there is no 3G right now. I am sure it will be rolled out there in the next 6 months or so. Are there enough other better features on the onyx that I should really wait for it? This is killing me!!
    07-16-09 02:18 PM
    If you're with T-Mobile then you would be getting the Driftwood.Very little confirmed info on it.I've seen alot more on the Onyx even though they are supposed to be sister-devices.How sure are you that T-Mobile's 3G is coming to your area soon? If you have it on good authority then I'd try to suffer thru with the ROKR,at least til' the fall.Otherwise I'd go with the 8900,even without 3G it's still a well-featured BB.
    07-16-09 03:11 PM
    I hear you the wait is hard sometimes. Get a 8900 it is a really good device you can't go wrong with it. I own two of them and I can tell you I'm not giving them up no matter what other device I buy. Good luck!
    07-16-09 03:18 PM
    If you're with T-Mobile then you would be getting the Driftwood.Very little confirmed info on it.I've seen alot more on the Onyx even though they are supposed to be sister-devices.How sure are you that T-Mobile's 3G is coming to your area soon? If you have it on good authority then I'd try to suffer thru with the ROKR,at least til' the fall.Otherwise I'd go with the 8900,even without 3G it's still a well-featured BB.
    OK, I got some more information from the local TMO store today. Apparently TMO has a cruddy new policy that doesn't allow you to upgrade say your wifes phone line with a BB and use it on your own line. Whatever line has the upgrade available is the one that has to have the BB data plan if you want the upgrade price.

So, I either need to wait until Aug 2010 to upgrade my phone (which by they the Driftwood will be out), or buy an 8900 from E-bay to put it on my line. This really $ucks.
    07-16-09 04:10 PM
    I hear you the wait is hard sometimes. Get a 8900 it is a really good device you can't go wrong with it. I own two of them and I can tell you I'm not giving them up no matter what other device I buy. Good luck!
    Two? Greedy.... Could you loan me one until the onyx is out?
    07-20-09 10:22 AM
    Go with the 8900 now, get rid of that Rokr! Regardless of when it comes out you can always switch devices by buying one out right. Obviously getting one with new service is much cheaper but I wouldn't wait, you never know what may happen. Also, they roll out new models all the time so there's always those options.
    07-20-09 11:46 AM
    OK, well I found a good deal on a used (but newer) 8900 and bought it. Considering I don't have an upgrade available on the line that I use, I guess I will wait until the Driftwood/Onyx comes out and I have my upgrade on my line.
    07-20-09 02:18 PM
    Get the 8900, you can get one on walmart.com for next to nothing
    07-20-09 07:20 PM
    you can get an 8900 on Amazon for a penny, I think the carrier stores will match that price if you qualify
    07-20-09 07:34 PM
    i have the same problem as you do. get 8900 or onyx. i actually like tour too. but no wifi =(
    07-31-09 12:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD