View Poll Results: With all things considered which is the better device?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bold

46 56.79%
  • Javelin

35 43.21%
    I'm really kinda getting over the bold hype at this point. It's been built up for so long I don't think it can live up to the expectations we've set for it now. Is 3g going to be such a big deal when wifi is so readily available at this point? ****, where I live there are free wifi hotspots all over the place but no 3g coverage. at&t says 3g is coming to my area soon, but no word on how soon. So does 3g make the Bold worth it over the Javelin? Or is the Javelin an otherwise superior device?
    08-05-08 10:25 AM
    This is gonna spark a debate filled with personal opinion and preference...

It all depends what you want and need in your device. Obviously, if your coverage area does not support 3G, one of the main factors the Bold has going for it is knocked out. For many people, 3G will be a critical selling point.

This is the same as asking Curve or 88xx. Everyone has an opinion.

*I voted Javelin, just to be different. And, honestly... I like the form of the Javelin more than the Bold*
    08-05-08 10:28 AM
    I do think the javelin is a better looking device. It's opinions that i'm looking for, I know no one can answer definitively whether one device is better than another. I much prefer the look of the javelin to the bold and I like that it has a better camera. I don't want this to start any arguments, just hoping to see various opinions from both sides, maybe it'll help me make my decision.
    08-05-08 10:32 AM
    At the end of the day, "you pays your money, and you makes your choice"... only you don't, as of course neither model is actually available yet anyway.

As has already ben said, different features, or functions are more important to some people than others, so I don't really think that one can be said to be really 'better' than the other.

Personally I have voted for the Bold, but that is just my personal taste, and I know that others will have different thoughts and opinions... good luck!
    08-05-08 11:07 AM
    They're both vaporware to me right now, but once they come out I'm leaning towards the Bold while my girl towards the Javelin. Chances are I'll give in soon and just pick up 8320's though, patience is not a virtue of mine.
    08-05-08 12:11 PM
    I would like to have my choice of both! But since i am on verizon it looks like i will be waiting another 6-8 months since it takes longer to get the device on there network. I would lean towards the javelin though.
    08-05-08 12:34 PM
    Personally I like the way the Javelin looks over the Bold big time but Bold just has more to offer.
    08-05-08 03:33 PM
    i also like the looks of the javelin a bit better than the bold. just my opinion i would wait it out.
    08-05-08 03:45 PM
    The Javelin will probably be released before the BOLD anyway the way it looks HA!!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-08 07:13 PM
    The javelin looks a little more sleek and sexy than the bold, but honestly I haven't really sat down and completed a side-by-side comparison of the two...

... Maybe I should get on that
    08-05-08 07:19 PM
    I like the Javelin very much.. I was kinda hoping no one else would think it was haRd so I woulda been the only dude wit it. I'm chilling wit my sCurve for now and will wait for it to be release long after the BOLD and I'm willing to do the waiting....

08-05-08 08:38 PM
    We've waited this long... I have confidence you can wait another 1 1/2 for the Javelin...
    08-05-08 09:54 PM
    bold for sure..
    08-05-08 10:09 PM
    I'm opting for the bold: 3G is enough incentive for me.
    08-05-08 10:27 PM
    Thanks for your opinions guys. Looks like the bold is winning the popular vote so far...I guess we'll see what happens.
    08-06-08 04:04 AM
    I am going for Bold as I desperately need the 3G web browsing speed (for work) and 3G in London UK is widespread (or so I understand!)
    + I could do with a wider keyboard

But it really ticks me off that:

a) the camera on it will be crappy
    b) the size of it will make my BB addition more conspicuous with the wife and will get me in deeper trouble than I already am
    c) the disallowed transfer of Itunes store purchased music scares me (surely there will be a work around?)

Javelin is more elegant for sure - but I cant be dealing with EDGE browsing any longer..
    08-21-08 08:21 AM
    Looking at some pictures taken with a Bold in another thread, I would hardly call the camera 'crappy'... maybe not the best around, but not that bad nevertheless!

... and I think we can all sympathise with your second comment!

Hopefull in time they will sort out your third point also... so a Bold it is then!
    08-21-08 09:14 AM
    hehe..

Yes I shouldn't pre judge the camera.. just being a grump.

Dang! I want one bad! Sept 8th o2 was the last I heard, oh the misery of waiting!

08-21-08 09:23 AM
    I saw a Bold in a shop. Don't like the size of it (all dimensions - it reminds me of the older BB devices) and I hate that leatherette back to it. Wasn't too keen on the keyboard either. Saving grace was the screen. I'll probably have a Javelin when I come to replace my 8300. Or maybe *consider* the touchscreen one then, depending on how/when that one pans out.

Like GPRS, I've seen 3G phones pause sometimes before loading pages on a web browser. It's not all perfect on 3G, but once it's going, it's of course a lot faster than GPRS or even Edge. Though I have to say when GPRS is actually running at 40Kbps (remember modems ;-)) I find it very usable on a small screen device...

The bigger problem with RIMs current browser (including in 4.5 firmware) is their dreadful cache management. I can reliably and significantly improve the perceived browser experience by manually deleting the cache as soom as it gets to > a few 100KB's. Why oh why RIM bother with the cache is beyond me, as it makes the browser performance "pants". Maybe it saves some data. Still pants though.

That RIM isn't doing 3G (or HSxPA even better) on the Javelin will probably hurt it more in terms of perception by potential buyers than so much in the usability stakes.
    Last edited by wibblyw; 08-21-08 at 09:35 AM.
    08-21-08 09:26 AM
    Bold

1. 3G on the Bold.
    2. Javelin is not coming out for a while. No date even set, but estimates point to the very end of the year, maybe even next year.
    3. 3G. Did I mention that yet?
    08-21-08 10:11 AM
    3g won't be in my neck-o-the woods for some time so Javelin hopefully at a better price break as well.
    08-21-08 10:13 AM
    If 3G shaves time off EDGE browser load speeds - I have to jump for it.
    Even with no images, Opera Mini and Mobile View - EDGE is still too slow (to visit forums for example) its like slow motion..

OK I am being boring now - I need to see a doctor about my Bold craving issues..
    08-21-08 10:42 AM
    3G is worthless for me right now. And javelin may not be coming out til next year, but from the looks of things the bold may not be either.

08-21-08 11:12 AM
    I would wait for the Javelin, it looks sleeker and thinner like the Curve.
    08-21-08 11:17 AM
    I'm goin with the bold...

08-21-08 01:59 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD