On June 5th, I was walking down some stairs when my foot slipped off one of the steps. In an effort to prevent a spinal injury, I threw back my hands to catch myself. Unfortunately, my Bold just so happened to be in my hand, and went flying onto the corner of one of the steps. I thought this wouldn't be an issue as I had purchased and installed the "Invisible Shield" by ZAGG (zagg.com) but apparently ZAGG tested those for scratches and not deep impacts. The aftermath is as follows...

As you can see, the screen didn't scratch, but the LCD cracked resulting in the etch-e-sketch look I have going right now. I called AT&T (on a different phone) to see what they could do, they referred me to the insurance company, who charged me $125 for a replacement (refurbished) phone and I then have to send this broken phone back.

I'm incredibly pissed at the fact I'll be receiving a refurbished phone. That's like if I went to the hospital for a shot and they administered one with a needle that had been used before. Ridiculous!

Also, I had numerous passwords and information saved in the password keeper within the phone. Since i'm never going to be able to use this phone again, is there a way to wipe everything clean from the hard drive of the phone. Please let me know.

Thanks guys...and don't drop your phones.

***Update***
    Since you guys are on Team Zagg, I have changed the post so now you only think i'm mad at the refurb situation. And thanks for the help so far, i'll try out that program
    Last edited by SirBeef; 06-07-09 at 06:15 PM. Reason: because
    06-07-09 06:00 PM
    you can still dock your phone to DM and back it up.

cnn.cn sells the screens but they are currently sold out. For $86 bucks and you're back in business.

BlackBerry Bold 9000 OEM LCD screen w/ lens- LG, NEC, 3G, Nokia, Alcatel, BenQ-Siemens, Samsung, Dopod/O2, Motorola, BlackBer
    06-07-09 06:03 PM
    Why are you pissed at ZAGG? Did they advertise anywhere on their site that their invisibleSHIELD would protect against impacts? That's not what it was made for at all.

Refurbed models aren't bad btw. Infact, my refurb was better than my brand new Bold, and this goes for my Storm as well.

To get rid of all the information, download a program called Jl_Cmder. Once installed on your computer, hook up your phone to the computer, and select the resettofactory option. It'll erase everything on your phone.
    06-07-09 06:07 PM
    Sorry for your situation but I do not see how you can be upset with Zagg over this, after all it is a screen protector to prevent scratches not hard direct screen impacts.
    06-07-09 06:09 PM
    zagg doesn't prevent clumsiness... I don't believe they have that in their terms of use

that sucks though about your bold... you can get a LCD screen for around 70 bucks, or installed for 125. really not the end of the world

and a note about refurbs, you absolutely can't tell the difference between a refurb and a brand new one, as they have brand new housings and are thoroughly tested internally.
    06-07-09 06:16 PM
    I aggree with the post about refurbs. They get repaired by a technician. And rehoused. You're just heartbroken that you hurt your phone. Ask me how many bezels I've put on my phone. And finally put the black one on, so I can't see the constant nicks and scratches.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-07-09 10:54 PM
    You shouldn't be upset at Zagg, or the fact you received a refurb. It nowhere advertised that Zagg protects against drops. Plus, its just common sense: how could a 1mm film of plastic protect against impacts?
    06-07-09 11:07 PM
    its sad what happened be careful next time man.
    06-08-09 12:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD