I put in a iphone 4 micro sim in the 9900 using an adapter and when i placed it inside the phone the micro sim didn't go in properly and then when i tried to remove the adapter it got stuck and i pulled it out as i knew it is going to break anyway. So then when it came out one of the golden pins bended upwards and then it wouldn't read the sim from then.

Please advice on what i should do, i bought the phone 2nd hand, but like new (was about 3 weeks old) so there is no warranty

Any ideas on how much it might cost from a shop to get it repaired? Im not willing to try repair myself as i know i will probably break something else.

And also any ideas on what the phone is worth now, its in like new condition, no scratches except light ones on the silver trim?

Any replies appreciated.
    09-12-12 03:39 PM
    Down here in South Africa, if we buy a 3 week old phone like you and so technically the warranty still holds, we never mention that we are now the new owners. But rather say to retailer who sold the phone " hey I'm just dropping this phone of for the owner and here's the proof of purchase (the original receipt taken from the person who sold you the phone) please fix it".

I've done this many times in the past and will do so in the future......out f0xx them.
    09-12-12 07:32 PM
    Believe it or not, I did the same thing yesterday, the SIM tray adapter is about $8 on eBay but I found a place that will do the complete repair for $45. The SIM tray is now an actual part of the PCB, just to let everyone know, DON'T USE A MICRO SIM AND ADAPTER IN A 9900.

I put in a iphone 4 micro sim in the 9900 using an adapter and when i placed it inside the phone the micro sim didn't go in properly and then when i tried to remove the adapter it got stuck and i pulled it out as i knew it is going to break anyway. So then when it came out one of the golden pins bended upwards and then it wouldn't read the sim from then.

Please advice on what i should do, i bought the phone 2nd hand, but like new (was about 3 weeks old) so there is no warranty

Any ideas on how much it might cost from a shop to get it repaired? Im not willing to try repair myself as i know i will probably break something else.

And also any ideas on what the phone is worth now, its in like new condition, no scratches except light ones on the silver trim?

Any replies appreciated.
    09-12-12 09:55 PM
    DON'T USE A MICRO SIM AND ADAPTER IN A 9900.
    I broke my previous BB (9780) that way, i.e., pulled the adapter by force.
    I became a bit wiser after that.
    Do not pull the adapter with no SIM card in as it will hook pins without the SIM card.
    When you want to remove/change the SIM card, make sure to pull the adapter with the SIM card firmly in, as the card will align (flush) with the adapter and push down pins.
    09-12-12 11:18 PM
    It will not be cheap. The SIM reader/contacts are actaully part of the circuit board
    09-13-12 06:48 AM
    I did this to my 9810 thinking I would be able to swap the sim between the 9810 and the dev alpha. My loss, I am currenly using my older 9700. (Which I still love but miss the touch screen)

I purchaed a new SIM holder and will pull out ye ol' souldering iron. If I decide it is too risky, I will need to shell out the cash to a repair shop.

I feel for you; I learned NEVER use SIM adapters!

S
    09-13-12 07:16 AM
    What I strongly suggest is... Use a bit of glue to keep the miniSIM in place. It's not a microSIM, it's not small enough to be called that. :P

The glue should keep it in place, even if it's firmly held. Then, there shouldn't be a problem of it coming loose in the SIM slot of your current blackberry or other smart/feature/simple phone.

Sent from The Root's Crackberry @ wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-13-12 03:46 PM
    Got back my 9900 today, it cost $45 but I have learned a lesson...no micro SIM in an adapter in a 9900.
    09-13-12 07:33 PM
    I have been using a micro sim with my 9900! but i was pretty careful to make sure that the sim were pushing down all the pins. Same thing as when taking it out.

I once slotted in a micro sim adapter without a micro sim in a 9810. (genius) Needless to say, it got stuck. But luckily i figured it was stuck due to the pins. Used a piece of thin hard plastic and slot it in between the pins and the adapter. Pulled out both and the pin still worked.
    09-13-12 08:36 PM
    Got back my 9900 today, it cost $45 but I have learned a lesson...no micro SIM in an adapter in a 9900.
    Yeah, after the incident with my 9810, I learned my lesson, and i just use double sided tape to secure the micro-sim to the adapter if need be. Same as the 9860.

The good thing about the 9900 and 9790, is that you can simply just use the micro sim without an adapter. Just have to align it properly.
    09-13-12 10:33 PM
    I always thought that the best way to use one of those pesky and often flimsy adapter is to cut off the bottom part which always picks up pins if they were not pressed down by SIM card. Card should only be positioned properly and once the card and the adapter are pushed to the bottom, then the card could be moved up to hit the top part of the adapter. The adapter does not have to have a closed end.
    09-13-12 10:57 PM
    Where did you get your sim reader repaired. I'm in the US.
    07-24-13 03:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD