Searching the crackberry forums, I can't really see any reference to this.

Perhaps this is something new to the bold, but on my Bold I have a 'branding version'. I've gone through several OSs for the Bold, and I've never had the 'branding version' change. I'm thinking that perhaps the branding version is not linked to the OS. Even when wiping my Bold of an OS (white screen with NO OS error), a branding version still remains no matter what OS I install. Even after initiating the no OS white screen error, my operator logo is still present on start-up too.

Could the branding version be responsible for some operators being able to make Blackberry Maps unavailable? Is there anyway to remove this so the device will operator like a generic SIM free device?

Be interested in your thoughts.
    08-24-08 04:13 AM
    No, your service provider could have the so call push configuration. Once you turn on your bb to a network, the network itself is going to push all application into your bb! They also change some setting of your device. But will do nothing to the firmware.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-24-08 10:29 AM
    I don't think I understand what I read in the OP. On the help me screen on my 8330 I have a vender ID number. But if there is some sort of work around to get BB functionality that is locked out or missing on certain carriers a lot of people would be very happy.

08-25-08 02:44 AM
    If what infomax says is correct I will be interested to see what operator logos the unlocked SIM free models from RIM have.

If your theory is right, as soon as they log onto a network it'll display that network's logo.

08-25-08 04:17 AM
    I don't think they will actually display a logo as such... just an indication of whatever operators network the Bold is currently connected to.

Or am I wrong there?
    08-25-08 04:20 AM
    My gut feeling is that the unlocked SIM free Bolds will just display a generic BlackBerry logo where others display a carrier's logo.

But like the original poster says, wiping the OS doesn't reset this so is probably stored at a deeper level.

Also, I want to know when I upgraded to 4.6.0.126 why my default Precision Zen theme still has the Orange wallpaper and not the default RIM one like you see in the preview. It's like Orange managed to "hard code" it somehow?!

08-25-08 04:26 AM
    I think it is a bit like Windows , where there is probably a sort of 'OEM' area where carriers can 'hide' certain aspects which can't then easily be changed by the end user.
    08-25-08 04:32 AM
    A friend of mine who is on Orange (I am also), has a different branding version than I do, so I think it's safe to say this is not something which is pushed to the device by the network, but something which is actually coded onto the device. I'd be interested to see if there's anyway to remove this 'branding version' entirely, or to change it to an alternative branding version. I suspect, the branding version is able to dictate any software restrictions and also the boot-up images etc. Certainly something which if cracked, would help some members of the community out with getting Blackberry maps back etc.
    08-25-08 06:36 AM
    Can a few people please post their "Branding Version" from Options | About please?

Me & a friend have Bolds on Orange however our branding versions are different, and was wondering what it meant, and what was most common.

Mine says: 1.0.142.91

Cheers
    08-29-08 09:33 AM
    Isn't the Branding version OS specific... or have I got that wrong?

Are you and your friends all on the same OS?

Perhaps someone else can give us some more details as to the implications here... it could mean a different hardware revision for example, I suppose?
    Last edited by Montala; 08-29-08 at 10:11 AM.
    08-29-08 10:09 AM
    Nope Branding Version is not OS specific - it has stayed the same through 3 different OS versions.

Mine is 1.0.142.91 and my friends is 1.0.142.90. They have never changed on either device despite different OS versions and the same carrier (Orange).

We're beginning to think it is possibly a hardware revision.
    08-29-08 10:13 AM
    The service provider is able to manage your device by remote
    control. They can install software uninstall software. Just like BES.
    If you do not believe this, ty it out yourself. Wipe your bold clean. Install a new ROM from other provider. Do not put the sim in. Turn on the phone. Play around. Do not connect to wifi.
    Remember what you had seen.
    Now put your sim in. The phone will take a long time to reboot. But no worries. After the phone turn on you will supprise what you see.

08-29-08 10:16 AM
    confirm. wipe the Bold, reinstall ROM. Brand # stay the same. Will post some Photo later
    08-29-08 05:42 PM
    Hi all,

Well i didn't make a note of my previous branding version on my previous firmwares but mine is also from Orange UK and i am now running v4.6.0.134 and my branding version is 1.0.142.85.

I have to say although it has only been a few hours since i upgraded to this firmware it does seem to be getting an even better 3G signal then before with more Bars showing i also now have 31.3mb of free Ram.

Marc
    08-29-08 06:36 PM
    If what infomax says is correct I will be interested to see what operator logos the unlocked SIM free models from RIM have.

If your theory is right, as soon as they log onto a network it'll display that network's logo.

A phone purchased from Rogers or Best Buy or wherever in Canada you go, will get a STAMPED logo from Rogers on the device and a Rogers theme.

You will have what ever OS was installed based on Rogers requests to RIM.

You can change the theme to anything you want, the OS to what is available but the hard stamp on the device stays unless you take it apart and add a new device cover.
    Last edited by gr8wheelss; 08-29-08 at 11:28 PM.
    08-29-08 11:24 PM
    No. I meant event I wipe the device clean, rogers theme still stay win the phone. Plus the welcome message.

08-30-08 06:37 AM
    You can remove carrier themes if I recall correctly from reading the memory optimization guide in the howto forum section.
    08-30-08 07:40 AM
    You can remove carrier themes if I recall correctly from reading the memory optimization guide in the howto forum section.
    I've looked in the ALX file and for my vendor ID (142) there is no specific theme related to my carrier, so it must just be loading the default themes (Zen & Silver).

However I still have the carrier specific wallpaper when I wipe the device and clean load an OS on there.

Wierd.
    08-30-08 09:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD