Hi everyone,

I just bought a white 9780. I had a black 9700 for quite some time. I loved the black battery cover because the sides are rubberized giving it a much better grip. The white one is plastic and I'm having a hard time gripping the phone. I love the white colour and want to keep it. I don't want to use a silicone skin all the time, especially when I'm at home. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do so I don't send my 9780 flying to orbit?

I had the Torch when it first came out but just sold it. I was so used to the touchscreen. It made things easier to navigate throught the menu. I'm trying to get used to using the trackpad to navigate. I know I can use a theme and make it appear like the 9700. But I love the shortcuts for manage connections, sms, calls, and calendar. I sold the Torch because of a right wrist injury and the weight and reaching to type made it worse.

I'm hoping for some suggestions. Thank you.
    07-13-11 02:27 PM
    Its a longshot, but electronic stores used to sell small (usually silicone) stick on buttons/circles/squares/strips. They come in different thicknesses. You could see if you could find a real thin strip, and then using an exacto or some scissors, cut them to a small discreet shape to stick on the phone where you would grip it to stop it from slipping out of your hand. And at ~1mm thick, it wouldnt interfere with a slip=on skin.

Just an idea. I've done it with other things that I've had similar problems with.
    07-13-11 04:37 PM
    you can actually use the 9700 door on the back if you want, will give you the grip needed, and ads contrast to the phone.
    07-13-11 04:43 PM
    you can actually use the 9700 door on the back if you want, will give you the grip needed, and ads contrast to the phone.

I no longer have the 9700. Do you think I should buy a 9780 battery door or exchange the white 9780 for a black one?
    07-13-11 07:56 PM
    I thought the white version would have the same "leather" back as the black version...

I am not sure how good a white 9780 would look on a black battery door.

If you go for the buy option, check these out.
    07-13-11 08:19 PM
    I thought the white version would have the same "leather" back as the black version...

I am not sure how good a white 9780 would look on a black battery door.

If you go for the buy option, check these out.

The white 9780 does have the same "pleather" back as the black one. What I'm referring to is the outer side where it's rubberized. The black 9700 I had was rubberized so I had a nice grip everytime I used the phone. The white is a glossy finish so it's very slippery. So either I buy a black 9780 battery door cover which would probably look odd. Or I exchange it for a black one. I just bought the white 9780 yesterday.
    07-13-11 08:32 PM
    you can buy a 9700 door if you wish to have that one, its what I would do, as mentioned above, it has a nice contract.

If not get a nice gel skin that feels good in your hands.
    07-13-11 08:42 PM
    I miss the Bold line.
    07-13-11 09:02 PM
    I would recommend getting a full InvisibleShield. The protection would add extra grip.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-13-11 11:02 PM
    What are you doing with the phone practicing javlin throughing? I don't find that the phone is slippery at all, but sincee you just bought it couldn't you exchange it for a black one?

07-13-11 11:15 PM
    The white 9780 does have the same "pleather" back as the black one. What I'm referring to is the outer side where it's rubberized. The black 9700 I had was rubberized so I had a nice grip everytime I used the phone. The white is a glossy finish so it's very slippery. So either I buy a black 9780 battery door cover which would probably look odd. Or I exchange it for a black one. I just bought the white 9780 yesterday.
    I've owned both a white 9780 and currently a black 9780 and I can confirm the black rubberized outer side you speak of. I highly recommend you switch to the black one for a number of reasons (why I switched myself):

The white paint chips and is VERY noticeable all around the handset (especially the keyboard).

The back gets HELLA dirty really fast and looks terrible. Also the chrome displays scratches very prominently unlike the muted black "chrome".

I switched to the black one for purely aesthetic reasons after owning the white one for 6 months. It just couldn't hold up to the daily wear and tear unlike my black 9700 and seemingly the black 9780 also.
    wirelessgal and MangeMerde like this.
    07-14-11 12:31 AM
    I've owned both a white 9780 and currently a black 9780 and I can confirm the black rubberized outer side you speak of. I highly recommend you switch to the black one for a number of reasons (why I switched myself):

The white paint chips and is VERY noticeable all around the handset (especially the keyboard).

The back gets HELLA dirty really fast and looks terrible. Also the chrome displays scratches very prominently unlike the muted black "chrome".

I switched to the black one for purely aesthetic reasons after owning the white one for 6 months. It just couldn't hold up to the daily wear and tear unlike my black 9700 and seemingly the black 9780 also.

Thanks for sharing your experience with both the black and white 9780. I guess it doesn't matter how often you clean the white one, it's going to get dirty no matter what. It's a real shame the white one deteriorates so fast. I really like the colour. I'm going to exchange it for the black one.

Thanks again.
    07-14-11 12:46 AM
    I had the same issue. The phone does feel a lot slipperier than the 9700. I picked up the black Blackberry silicone skin. Works good. More secure in hand.

07-14-11 04:18 PM
    I rock the black 9700 back with my white phone because I hate the 9780 leather. Works well for me grip wise, the leather is a bit softer

07-15-11 07:30 PM

I have a white bold and I have to agree about the white paint chipping Hence getting a different housing. Looks like crap in a hurry... bah.
    07-15-11 09:49 PM
    I'm disappointed to hear the white one is like that. I'm guessing that's the reason why Rogers discontinued the white Torch.

Nevertheless, I exchanged it for a black one today. I'm happy with it so far.
    Thanks for everyone's feedback.
    07-16-11 12:39 AM
    I'm a bit torn now. The Bold 9900 is going to be coming out in white also and I wonder if they've resolved the paint chipping issue. What do you guys think?
    07-16-11 03:03 PM
    I have a black 9700, then got the white 9780 the day it came out in November, and got a black 9780 about a month ago. The white one looks amazing for a while. I kept the black sticker on the back of the white one for a few days, literally maybe 3, and when I removed it, I could already see the change in color.

I switched the whole phone for another white one, because of the double input keyboard issue, and just decided to remove the sticker on day 1, and try to just use it with clean hands haha. I would periodically wash it with rubbing alcohol and an old white shirt, but then I found that the Mr. Clean Magic Erasers REALLY help.

I've been trying to find an OEM white battery door for my white 9780, with the newer, "tighter" leather looking material (as opposed to the older white battery doors of the 9700), but the ones I've bought online have a finish on the BlackBerry logo that chips easily, leaving the 7 dots rusty looking. I really do love the white 9780, but I have to say, I feel more relaxed(?) using the black one, because I don't have to worry about if my hands are super clean (I wouldn't even use my white one after pumping gas and touching the pump).
    07-16-11 07:45 PM
    I'm a bit torn now. The Bold 9900 is going to be coming out in white also and I wonder if they've resolved the paint chipping issue. What do you guys think?

I doubt they fixed the paint chipping issue. I'm getting the black 9900. With that particular style, I think it looks better in black. Gives it a more professional look. I don't know what the white one looks like. I'm basing it on the white 9000.
    07-16-11 08:12 PM
    SK122387, I know what you mean about being more "relaxed" now. I'm a clean freak. I clean my BlackBerry everyday. I only had the white one for less than 24 yrs and there was a bit of dirt on the side. And I'm ALWAYS washing my hands! It may have picked up some surface dirt or something. Now that I have the black one, I am very happy and not obsessed with keeping it clean all the time. The black battery door of the 9700 is more rubberized. I might get a black 9700 battery door so it feels more grippy.
    07-16-11 08:17 PM
    haha relaxed is the only way I can describe it (I guess I can say that on these forums, where you all might be more understanding of it than people without a BlackBerry). I never even noticed that the white battery door to the white 9780 wasn't rubberized. I'm kind of glad that it's not, who knows how dirty it would get. I'm sure the black ones get dirty too, but we can't see the dirt, so as they say.. "ignorance is bliss"!
    07-16-11 09:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD