07-30-09 03:21 AM
26 12
tools
    Hey been having a Bold now for about 5 months now and am fustrated about how difficult (not really but in terms of physically opening the device) is has been to clean/change the trackball. I personally think it is flawed but my friends think it is perfect. Don't get me wrong I love the feel but in terms of accessability its furstrating.

What do you think?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-23-09 11:58 PM
    Some days I love the trackball, some days i DESPISE it.

It's by no means perfect, though.

For my Bold, the whole press-down-the-ball-and-roll thing works when the ball gets stuck.

One can only dream of a hybrid touchsreen Bold
    07-24-09 12:02 AM
    get the g1 trackball from ebay. best trackball ever.does not collect any dust
    07-24-09 12:05 AM
    I personally hate the trackball. It goes through phases where it will stick for a day or two (I can't scroll to the left sometimes, for example lol) and cleaning it is a pain in the rear. I'm thinking about buying a black trackball for it, but dread having to take the phone apart to install it. Love my Bold, though.
    07-24-09 12:18 AM
    i like the trackball, then i hate it when scrolling threw webpages >.>
    07-24-09 02:11 AM
    i like the trackball, then i hate it when scrolling threw webpages >.>
    Space button for the win.
    07-24-09 02:21 AM
    Having had a Bold for the last 6 months or so - the trackball was, at first, a new experience for me. I'm used to it now, but there are some things I don't like about it.

1. The way the white ball gets dirty and discolored after heavy use.

2. The way mine makes an audible noise and I have it set to "mute" in options.

3. The difficulty of the simple cleaning process.

Soon - I will change it (the trackball) and I'm totally not looking forward to that.

BUT! I love my Bold and wouldn't take nuthin for my Blackberry now!

Peace...
    07-24-09 02:30 AM
    i hate the trackball mine is so dirty.

i ordered the G1 trackball.
    07-24-09 03:19 AM
    The trackball itself isn't flawed the need to dissamble the whole phone just to get it out to clean it is stupid but with the onyx will fix everything.

07-24-09 03:39 AM
    It is absolutely a bad design.

BTW, Blackberry phones have the worst build materials -- except the screen -- among all cell manufacturers.

Look at Nokia, Palm, Samsung and mant others they have a very durable materials. But if you through a Bold or 8900 the whole device gets disassembled and many scratches.

Hopefully, RIM one day changes their policy becuase we love BB phones
    07-24-09 05:27 AM
    The trackball's functionality is excellent and a good idea but I agree with the others that dont like it because it gets dirty, sticks from time to time and gets discolored. I was so fed up with my last device trackball that I made a warranty replacement for this very reason. My trackball was to a point where it didn't respond anymore.
    07-24-09 06:38 AM
    Hey JD when you called ATT warranty what did you tell them so that they could replace your Bold????
    07-24-09 09:24 PM
    Flawed, the thing gets dirty pretty quickly. Its sad that the Bold was one of the last blackberries to actually use the white trackball. They've all moved on now -_-
    07-24-09 09:39 PM
    Hm. I don't know. I kinda like it.
    07-24-09 09:45 PM
    Hate it. My son's stopped working 2 weeks ago (we have 3 in my family all purchased Nov. 2) and his was warranty replaced and mine stopped working two days ago and I am waiting for my warranty replacement. I have tried all suggestions to get it to unstick and clean to no avail this time.
    07-24-09 10:02 PM
    Mine was getting a little dingy, so I replaced it with a G1 black trackball. The new one seems to have a little different texture to it, I'm thinking it will last for awhile.
    07-24-09 10:23 PM
    I really don't have a problem with it. It isn't the best way to navigate a phone, especially compared to an iPhone and its amazing responsiveness, but it is still very good in my opinion.

07-25-09 12:18 AM
    Its ok but nothing beats the old thumbwheel from earlier BBs
    07-25-09 05:00 AM
    personally think trackpad will be way better
    07-25-09 10:36 PM
    I like the trackball...having used it since I got the Bold getting close to a year ago: my first BB and first trackball.

However I think it's not perfect for sure. My main problem, if anything, is that on my home screen sometimes I want it to be quicker, like when moving from the top left (profiles) to the bottom right of my L-Theme w/7 calendar entries. Unfortunately, once I travel the "distance" on the home screen with the trackball, I need it to be more precise to select the correct icon. I find I have to use a sensitivity setting that is a compromise of the two...and thus not optimal.

So while I find it a tiny bit slow and requiring several flicks of the trackball to get from one side to the other, I also will sometimes click the wrong icon when going too quickly.

Still...it's better than my large fingers mis-pressing on a touchscreen and hitting the wrong icon constantly like I did on my AT&T Tilt.
    Last edited by jeffreii; 07-25-09 at 10:46 PM.
    07-25-09 10:43 PM
    I just got my replacement bold and the trackball is different from my original phone. This phone is made in Mexico and my orig was made in Hungry. This trackball is slightly smaller and is raised up just a little higher. It feels completely different from the orig one I had. I like it a lot better and think it will last longer (at least I hope).
    07-29-09 05:56 PM
    after reading this post you guys have frightened to get a bold...
    Is it only a problem with the bolds or do all blackberrys including the new 8900 have the same problem?
    07-29-09 06:13 PM
    Hate the trackball. Too small, too shallow, too prone to malfunction... Oh, and it gets dirty.
    07-29-09 06:15 PM
    Also was searching on ebay for G1 Trackball and only saw some that said 8900 9300 will these work for the bold?
    07-29-09 07:10 PM
    The trackball is flawed in general. On newer BB's even moreso since you have to disassemble the device (voiding the warranty) to thoroughly clean or replace it. I like the concept (never having had the best luck with touchscreen devices), but the implementation all around leaves a lot to be desired.

07-29-09 08:58 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD