Just needed some clarification..

I received my Bold this morning - it came in a retail box with all of the accessories/materials, etc.

however, it has a BLUE DOT sticker on the side as well as a sticker that reads FRUBB9650.

does this mean I have a refurbished Bold; although, it came in a new retail box?
    06-22-10 09:38 AM
    The blue dot has nothing to do with FRUBB9650. Its your OS. Theres probably a sticker confirming that your OS is now .732.

All this has been discussed already at http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?p=5267979
    06-22-10 09:44 AM
    If it works great. I wouldn't worry to much about the FRU. You have a 1 year warranty
    06-22-10 09:45 AM
    If it works great. I wouldn't worry to much about the FRU. You have a 1 year warranty
    thanks man..just noticed that some users have received new ones, etc.. - although some have theories that the refurbished models have received a closer look...eh, i guess we'll see..

thanks for the info regarding the blue dot..it does, in fact, have .732 running...should i trust the installation or wipe and reload the official verizon .732 myself??
    06-22-10 10:00 AM
    thanks man..just noticed that some users have received new ones, etc.. - although some have theories that the refurbished models have received a closer look...eh, i guess we'll see..

thanks for the info regarding the blue dot..it does, in fact, have .732 running...should i trust the installation or wipe and reload the official verizon .732 myself??
    Nah, it's coming directly from Verizon, no need to not trust the already pre-installed .732. You should be just fine my friend!
    06-22-10 10:04 AM
    Nah, it's coming directly from Verizon, no need to not trust the already pre-installed .732. You should be just fine my friend!
    I had assumed that - but, thought that someone may know better than I do or even know from experience..and problems, i guess I could always dot that later on anyway..

thanks!
    06-22-10 10:17 AM
    It would make sense, since a FRU device is most likely one that someone returned for some unknown problem. The phone gets send to a facility they repair the issue, hopefully go through it to see if anything else is wrong, replace any worn parts and repackage it. Honestly probably 9 times out of 10 a Refurb is probably better than new.
    06-22-10 10:55 AM
    Just needed some clarification..

I received my Bold this morning - it came in a retail box with all of the accessories/materials, etc.

however, it has a BLUE DOT sticker on the side as well as a sticker that reads FRUBB9650.

does this mean I have a refurbished Bold; although, it came in a new retail box?
    So question- mine just came in today too. Did the rep when you ordered it tell you to keep your battery and back cover and send everything else back?

Are you just sending your Tour back in the Bold box with all the new accessories, battery and paperwork?
    06-22-10 11:01 AM
    So question- mine just came in today too. Did the rep when you ordered it tell you to keep your battery and back cover and send everything else back?

Are you just sending your Tour back in the Bold box with all the new accessories, battery and paperwork?
    I don't think (and i've read elsewhere where others have said the same) that the rep had any idea what I would get...he told me that I would receive a bare 9650 with no battery, memory card, or battery door..however; i received a retail box with everything...I was told to simply return my bare phone..so, I'm going to do like others have posted and simply return the bare 9630 with nothing attached to it - if Verizon has an issue, they'll contact me i presume.
    06-22-10 11:08 AM
    I went into VZW BIS and am looking to send the service books for my emails accounts to my new device and it says, "To detect your new device, insert your SIM card into your new device and ensure that your device is connected to the wireless network."

was i supposed to take the SIM card from my tour and put it into my new bold before i activated it?

If i've messed this up, what do I need to do in order to reconcile it?
    06-22-10 11:14 AM
    I went into VZW BIS and am looking to send the service books for my emails accounts to my new device and it says, "To detect your new device, insert your SIM card into your new device and ensure that your device is connected to the wireless network."

was i supposed to take the SIM card from my tour and put it into my new bold before i activated it?

If i've messed this up, what do I need to do in order to reconcile it?
    Theres already a SIM card in the Bold. There is no need to take the SIM card out of your Tour.

You can resend service books directly from the phone itself

Google

Go to options advanced options, Host Routing Tables, click to enter. DO NOT click on any listing.
    Press menu key, and Select Register Now.
    You will get a verification message. Then go to email settings and send service books.

Locate the email settings icon, click on it, login to the BIS site with your user name and password.
    (select remember me on this device, you won't have to login again.)

Once logged in you will see your email account ('s). Press the menu key, select Send Service Books.
    You will get an email per account I would suggest a battery pull after you receive them.
    Then check and see if your icons return.
    06-22-10 11:22 AM
    Theres already a SIM card in the Bold. There is no need to take the SIM card out of your Tour.

You can resend service books directly from the phone itself

Google

Go to options advanced options, Host Routing Tables, click to enter. DO NOT click on any listing.
    Press menu key, and Select Register Now.
    You will get a verification message. Then go to email settings and send service books.

Locate the email settings icon, click on it, login to the BIS site with your user name and password.
    (select remember me on this device, you won't have to login again.)

Once logged in you will see your email account ('s). Press the menu key, select Send Service Books.
    You will get an email per account I would suggest a battery pull after you receive them.
    Then check and see if your icons return.
    a lady at Verizon already told me to take the sim card from my tour and put it into my bold..I'm currently waiting for the phone to boot back up.

more specifically, BIS told me that it cannot connect a new device and to make sure that i had transferred over my sim card or else it wouldnt be able to do so..I know that I can send them from the phone; however, I should also (and at time i might need to) be able to send them from the site..

thanks for the info !
    06-22-10 11:30 AM
    Of the replacements I got from my Storm and 9630, I never swapped SIM cards. Whatever came with the phone, stayed with the phone. Never had a problem.
    06-22-10 11:54 AM
    i have an unlocked tour being replaced with a bold tomorrow. i was told to transfer my sim from tour to bold to retain an unlocked bold. is this right? will my bold really be unlocked just by putting my tour sim into the bold?

I guess my question is: Is unlocking a phone something inside the phone, or is it unlocking the sim card?

thanks,
    mike.
    06-22-10 12:04 PM
    Mine just arrived. New In the Box. Physically, it all looks great. Track pad is flat, no lean. As mentioned in a couple of other posts, it sat in the FedEX sort facility all day yesterday. Was due for delivery today. Packing weight was 2 pounds out of Ontario CA. I need to take it home to make the switch, so later today.
    06-22-10 12:05 PM
    i have an unlocked tour being replaced with a bold tomorrow. i was told to transfer my sim from tour to bold to retain an unlocked bold. is this right? will my bold really be unlocked just by putting my tour sim into the bold?

I guess my question is: Is unlocking a phone something inside the phone, or is it unlocking the sim card?

thanks,
    mike.
    i don't know..but i do know that you are a pro thread-hijacker.
    06-22-10 12:06 PM
    Re: Warranty

I may be wrong but I've read that the warranty on these REPLACEMENT phones is the length of your remaining warranty (if you got the phone last month, the you would still have 11 months) or 90 days whichever is greater.

In other words, just because you got a brand-new retail box does not create a new 1 year warranty - although I would not mind being wrong.

Re: sim

I gather it is not really necessary in the States but I did move/copy a few phone contacts to the sim card so I will not return that to Verizon.

Re: Email

I don't recall, but I do not have to re-setup the accounts I've already established on my Tour when the Bold comes - just get the service books updated????
    06-22-10 01:35 PM
    Re: Warranty

In other words, just because you got a brand-new retail box does not create a new 1 year warranty - although I would not mind being wrong.
    The CS rep who processed my Bold replacement said the warranty does not start over with the new device, but continues on where I was.
    Last edited by plkcable; 06-22-10 at 01:42 PM. Reason: typo
    06-22-10 01:39 PM
    Switch your BIS info over and you should be good to go.
    06-22-10 01:40 PM
    I'm going to make an educated guess and say Verizon is not paying for replacement bolds that rim probably is because of all the problems with the tour. These units seems to be coming straight from rim so maybe Verizon gave them an ultimatum

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-10 01:50 PM
    I just received mine a couple of hours ago. It came from Verizon in Ontario California. RIM is in Canada. RIM will do the Rebuilds on units which are defective, but before they are turned over to a customer they are checked through a Verizon tech department. Mine was a brand new unit in a sealed box. I doubt that anyone has touched it since it left the RIM factory. It did come with the latest OS. However when I started it up to check that it showed a date in February which I imagine is closer to the manufacture date. I am at work, so I can't do the transfer until I get home. The initial boot was somewhat faster than the Tour. Other than that it seems sweet. I do like the feel of the track pad, far less jumpy than the ball. I didn't have a problem with the ball on my Tour. It worked as well as can be expected. My Tour had a problem with the BlueTooth software or hardware. This phone does appear to be a major improvement over the Tour, though. Am I happy?
    All of this stuff gives me the impression that the phones and operating systems are created well in advance of their release dates. There must be a lot of internal stuff that the carriers have to prepare before releasing a new phone. I suspect that reducing their stock of previous units fits into that as well. The recent talk this past weekend about a Verizon iPhone may affect a lot of people's decision as to whether they want to use their upgrade now or wait for the iPhone. I got my Tour in late February after deciding correctly that the new then Tour 2 was a ways off down the pike. I had gotten interested in it as early as October and November. The specs that were being touted for it at that time were far below what actually came out. Again, they were playing their cards close to their chests. This is an interesting business, but, no question, I would not be with any other carrier than Verizon. They have consistently been supportive and decent.
    Last edited by gitano1; 06-22-10 at 02:17 PM.
    06-22-10 02:10 PM
    I'm going to make an educated guess and say Verizon is not paying for replacement bolds that rim probably is because of all the problems with the tour. These units seems to be coming straight from rim so maybe Verizon gave them an ultimatum

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    What seems to be happening from everything I'm reading is that Verizon is simply out of Tours right now for whatever reason. If they are out of your particular phone they still have to replace it if your having a problem and they have to offer you a substitute device. Its that simple, when they get Tours back they will start giving out Tours again, we all know they sure just got a whole pile of them too. I don't think Verizon or RIM is trying to right any wrongs here or anything like that. Who knows though maybe they'll be "out" of Tours forever, but I think Ive already heard people getting told they were getting Tours again today. However I think I also have heard people that called today and are still getting Bolds. This is the internet by the way, everything with a grain of salt. Who really knows.
    06-22-10 02:24 PM
    What seems to be happening from everything I'm reading is that Verizon is simply out of Tours right now for whatever reason. If they are out of your particular phone they still have to replace it if your having a problem and they have to offer you a substitute device. Its that simple, when they get Tours back they will start giving out Tours again, we all know they sure just got a whole pile of them too. I don't think Verizon or RIM is trying to right any wrongs here or anything like that. Who knows though maybe they'll be "out" of Tours forever, but I think Ive already heard people getting told they were getting Tours again today. However I think I also have heard people that called today and are still getting Bolds. This is the internet by the way, everything with a grain of salt. Who really knows.
    Although true. Tours are given END OF LIFE
    06-22-10 02:25 PM
    Although true. Tours are given END OF LIFE
    Right but I don't think that means they have to replace the phone with a newer one. I think as long as they have Tours that's what people will get.

Now like I said maybe they are just "out" of them, being whats really happening is they aren't saying it, but any returns are just being done away with and somewhat quietly being replaced with a newer device and the OOS is just an excuse. Although from what Ive seen that would be setting a new precedent as I think it would be a first for something like that, think about Storm owners. I'm not sure that's been done with a phone at EOL or otherwise, but I really don't know.
    06-22-10 02:51 PM
    Kind of hard for a lot of Tour phones to be OOS.
    06-22-10 02:54 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD