So the onyx is comming out very soon most probably and i am only 1 year into my 8900 contract!
    I really like this phone especially the trackpad looks cool and the 3g and i am not eligible so i will have to dish out the 600-700$. Is this phone really worth it or should i wait for my contract to end and see what kind of new blackberys will come out in a year or two
    10-18-09 05:47 PM
    I'd wait if I were you. There are even better Berries than The 9700. The 9700 is a great phone, but for your buck, the 8900 should hold you over until the next awesome Berry comes along when you can upgrade.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-09 05:51 PM
    ya i agree the 600$ they should be asking is quite a bit...the only reason im springing for the 600$ is cuz i can still sell my 1.5 month old iphone 3g in perfect condition for like 500$ here in canada...otherwise i would wait if i had another berry like the 8900 BUT if you are looking for something with a little more and if 3G service is a big must for you then maybe you'll wanna get the 9700...cuz i know the 8900 doesn't have 3G
    10-18-09 06:14 PM
    My 22 months won't be up until Nov 2010 so I'm in the same boat. I'll be waiting for the next TMO upgrade- touch with Qwerty? It's gonna be hard tho.

10-18-09 07:16 PM
    My Pearl 8120 just isn't cutting it. I can upgrade to the 9700, but because it's through my boyfriend's plan, I'll have to shell out about $300 for this phone that I don't have. I'm gonna have to wait until the price comes down or I can save up for it, which will take awhile. An 8900 looks like a more afordable option for me.

10-18-09 08:22 PM
    Even though your still under contract. It wouldn't hurt to call customer service and ask for the subsidized price. Usually tmobile reps are really nice and if your a longtime customer most likey they will give it to you.

10-18-09 08:37 PM
    @Cohen11 and @gregerator I'd suggest having someone take over your contract. I want to ditch Rogers for WIND when it launches, so I put out ads on Craigslist and Kijiji to pay someone $50 to take over my contract that has <18mo remaining.

It's the easiest way to bypass ECFs and upgrade restrictions, because your carrier will want the extra customer and you want a new phone for cheapest!
    10-18-09 09:32 PM
    i'm upgrading at any cost
    10-18-09 10:33 PM
    Well, as luck would have it, my hubby's line is eligible in january so I may steal his upgrade. He doesn't care about this stuff nearly as much as I do and if he ever does want another phone, it probably won't cost as much and I'll just pay for that one out of pocket. Everyone wins (especially me!). I must admit though, this current 8900 I have is a very sweet phone. We'll see if the 9700 will draw me in. It won't be because of the 3G since I don't really have that where I live (close but no cigar as they say).
    10-19-09 11:31 AM
    I'd be careful about that. In fact, I'd avoid it. No carrier is going to transfer your contactual obligation to another party. So you remain on the hook even though someone else (some stranger) has told you he will pay your bills. How do you know the guy will follow through on that? If the guy you get to take over quits paying, you, not him, are going to be one who hears from the carrier. Not only that but the carrier is going to want payment for service THAT YOU DID NOT EVEN GET. Plus, they are going to expect you to continue to pay for the remainder of the contract which would leave you with payments on the old contact plus whatever new contract you enter into during the time that you thought that you had been released from the old one. In other words, a double-wammy.
    10-19-09 02:51 PM
    Only major differences between the Onyx and the 8900 are Processor, Trackpad, and 3G, honestly $600 is not worth it, I say wait...
    10-19-09 02:56 PM
    Faster processor and 3g is a huge improvement alone let alone the trackpad, depends on how important fast programs and fast internet are to you vs slower programs and slow as crap internet.
    10-19-09 07:43 PM
    Faster processor and 3g is a huge improvement alone let alone the trackpad, depends on how important fast programs and fast internet are to you vs slower programs and slow as crap internet.
    I like the last few words!
    10-19-09 07:52 PM
    Well, as luck would have it, my hubby's line is eligible in january so I may steal his upgrade. He doesn't care about this stuff nearly as much as I do and if he ever does want another phone, it probably won't cost as much and I'll just pay for that one out of pocket. Everyone wins (especially me!). I must admit though, this current 8900 I have is a very sweet phone. We'll see if the 9700 will draw me in. It won't be because of the 3G since I don't really have that where I live (close but no cigar as they say).
    Just gotta love the non-technical husbands. I just got my husband the 8300 without a data plan. I just love him...........
    10-19-09 08:27 PM
    I'd be careful about that. In fact, I'd avoid it. No carrier is going to transfer your contactual obligation to another party.
    I take it you've never heard of a change of responsibility? TMO does it for sure, and I'm pretty sure AT&T does it as well.

Basically, you provide an interested party, the carrier runs their credit, and if they qualify, they move responsibility of the contract over to that person. You remain liable for the charges generated up until that point and nothing after.
    10-19-09 08:52 PM
    Just gotta love the non-technical husbands. I just got my husband the 8300 without a data plan. I just love him...........
    Very sad. I got my husband a Dash (he seems to have taken a liking to them) as the new Dash is a vast improvement over the old one. I did get him a data plan but probably more because I insist. Why in the world have a phone like that without it. I just got tired of playing his personal organizer. He does fine with it but the phones abilities or short comings don't seem to faze him all that much (how much is a girl suppose to take )? Oh well, just means I get to expend more funds on the phone of my choice.
    10-20-09 07:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD