I am considering purchasing a Bold when they become available, but I am not a heavy data user, so I am iffy on buying a data plan. An AT&T rep told me yesterday that she thought that if I did not buy the data plan with the Bold, the WiFi would not be available to me: in other words, in order for the WiFi to work, there must be an active data plan associated with the phone.

I would like to be able to check my Gmail and surf Facebook, blogs, etc. on an occasional basis. I am a heavy texter and talker though.

Does anyone know if this is true? Are there hacks or ways around this?

I just don't see the point of paying for data when I am a light data user. My University campus is completely wireless too.

Please advise! Thanks!
    Last edited by mcadrenaline; 08-16-08 at 01:09 PM.
    08-16-08 01:04 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

I am using a Curve with Wifi for much the same application. Gmail, Facebook and WAP sites all work well without a data plan.

There is every reason to assume the same will be true of the Bold.

What the salesperson was telling you applies to BlackBerry pushed email service, and, unfortunatly, BIS infrastructure.

BIS infrastructure will be needed for almost all third party applications. Most will need to be initialized prior to use, that step fails without BIS.

It is a fantastic PDA and media player, Bold will be that much better.
    08-16-08 06:27 PM
    My data package isnt up and running yet but im connected to the wifi in my apartment and i have been at starbucks. works fine.
    08-17-08 03:52 AM
    Well considering you spoke to a salesperson what are the odds they telling you not to get a data plan. Everyone has to earn a living. LOL

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-08 04:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD