I bought a Bold handet from ebay locked to Vodafone.

I've unlocked the phone.

I try to setup email but see only one option to use a work email account with a BES.

How do I get the other BIS option to add yahoo mail etc.

I'm wondering if this is because Vodafone only made the Bold available to business customers?

Thanks
    10-18-08 04:12 AM
    Pretty sure it available for Personal customers too as I've been looking at switching from Orange to Vodafone as their tariff seems a bit better.
    10-18-08 04:31 AM
    Vodafone tariff seems better than orange ? Thats probabely the first time i've heard that sort of comparison.

How does the vodafone tariff compare to yours ?
    10-18-08 05:20 AM
    Vodafone tariff seems better than orange ? Thats probabely the first time i've heard that sort of comparison.

I was with Orange and was paying 70 for my tarriff and blackberry bundles etc, ive now got 1500 minutes, unlimited data etc and unlimited text for 40 a month, so am saving 30 a month!!!

If you call vodafone direct and say that you want this deal they should be able to do it as my pal got 600 minutes, unlimited data and text and free insurance for 35. Plus we both got free bolds too!!!
    10-18-08 05:24 AM
    why were you paying 70 on orange? mine is 37.50 and that is unlimited txts and data and lots of free mins i forget how many exactly.....
    10-18-08 05:26 AM
    I just got the bold on vodafone as an upgrade. I get data and email and 200 mins plus stop the clock for 30. Initiallty they said it was only available for business customers but I said I would leave and they gave it to me.
    10-18-08 05:29 AM
    I bought a Bold handet from ebay locked to Vodafone.

I've unlocked the phone.

I try to setup email but see only one option to use a work email account with a BES.

How do I get the other BIS option to add yahoo mail etc.

I'm wondering if this is because Vodafone only made the Bold available to business customers?

Thanks
    BlackBerrys default to BES out of the box. As soon as you go to the Voda BIS website and setup email the correct service books should be pushed out to you. I know the site exists... Looks like BlackBerry Internet Service

I recommend you do this from your pc before you try to get access from your BB - its much easier on the big screen.

Also read here http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/blac...e-series-4716/ for a guide on how to setup your device and what to expect. The BIS setup is in #4
    10-18-08 05:44 AM

I always thought Vodafone tariffs were dear but their calls and texts certainly for new customers seem to compare very well with oher companies now.
    I was more concerned with their data tariff which seems to be 500mb compared to the 250mb that Orange offer to customers.
    10-18-08 06:40 AM
    You can set up BIS on Vodafone. http:// www. mobileemail.vodafone.net/

I think yuo can have two tariffs, one for 5 pm for email only and the other 10 to inc internet browsing.

I pay around 33 pm +vat for 700 min 250 txts and internet browsing
    10-18-08 06:50 AM
    Thanks branta and phantom for the vodafone site.

I think I might have screwed up. I've recently left the UK for a year, and now my blackberry is registered on this foreign network.

When I try logging in, it tells me my imei and pin are registered on another provider.

Is there any way around this? Upgrading to a non-Vodafone OS?

Thanks..
    10-18-08 01:19 PM
    Your recent travel history is probably irrelevant, unless you used the Bold with BB email service overseas - but then you would know what you had done. However you bought it from ebay so it could have been registered by the previous owner. You need to get back to the seller and get him to release the PIN.

If the seller won't cooperate,
    Check the OS version, and make sure it is at least 4.6.0.92 because there are a number of pre-release demo models circulating on ebay, which can't be upgraded.
    Get in touch with Voda and ask them to have RIM release the PIN - you'll need proof of your ebay transaction.

If it does turn out to be a pre-release or beta device, RIM might have already killed the PIN so it will never work on data srvices. That is their privilege because they are the legal owner of all the pre release samples. If this happens you might want to consider disputing the ebay transaction - the phone could be considered as stolen property.
    10-18-08 02:21 PM
    branta
    CrackBerry Abuser
    Device Model: Bold
    Carrier: O2 Join Date: Aug 2008

Re: BIS registration on Vodafone bold

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why didn't you tell us this yesterday... it would have saved hours.

I'll do this one in PM but you will get better results in forum. More eyes, more brains to work while I go to the supermarket... coffee drought here.

First, go into Options/Advanced/Service Books and see what is there. If you are lucky it will be empty. Otherwise browse through and try to get some clues where the phone thinks it is active. Then DELETE as many service books as possible. (You can't delete Provisioning).

Now go to Host Routing Table, take a look to see what is supposed to be active then with the VODA SIM installed hit Menu, Register. If you are lucky this will bring it up on Vodafone.

If this doesn't fix it I suspect your real problem is that the Voda SIM is not correctly provisioned. Your account permissions don't allow you access to the Voda BIS server. Thet would be a call to Voda Customer Services, but make sure you use a free number (0800 is not free from your BB, only from landline)

I have a feeling all your problems will go away if you get the account setup correctly, and (if necessary) get deregistered from the overseas BB provider's BIS.

Good Luck

Originally Posted by be-bold
    Thanks for the above answer. The reason I talked about registering on the foreign network, is that every time I insert my foreign SIM, I get a text message from Blackberry saying my handheld has been registered with the wireless network. I'm wondering if this is why Vodafone doesn't allow me to log into the BIS website?

Also I have v4.6.0.126. Would upgrading this enable me to register BIS? I know there is an official vodafone upgrade on the blackberry website.

Thanks, I hope you don't mind me private messaging!
    Last edited by be-bold; 10-21-08 at 02:44 PM.
    10-21-08 02:41 PM
    branta
    CrackBerry Abuser
    Device Model: Bold
    Carrier: O2 Join Date: Aug 2008

Re: BIS registration on Vodafone bold

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I look forward to seeing the latest info. It might be better if it keeps the original thread, the history is all there and it is easier to keep the context.

You should be setting up the phone with <your choice airtime provider>. That will probably be a Dk phone company, because you want to avoid excess roaming charges while you are there. Maybe you already have the phone account, and a SIM which might work.

Notice I said 'might work' because there are at least 2 potential issues.

1. Some airtime suppliers use a different series of SIM serial numbers for 3G phones, others simply enable whatever SIM you have for 3G service. Lack of 3G won't impact the functionality, only the potential speed.

2. Your account services need to be correctly setup for voice, (etc... as any other phone) AND BlackBerry data service (BIS). The BIS service is specific to Blackberry but sometimes the provider clicks the wrong box and you get regular smartphone data instead - won't work.

At the back of my mind there is something about 'registered to another' on first setup. I don't remember the exact detail, but I think the same message can have several causes. IF (repeat if) I remember this right;
    (a) The phone is really already setup somewhere else.
    (b) The phone (or SIM) is not accepted by the BIS setup server.
    (c) The airtime provider has configured to force initial setup from the phone's browser, not from a PC.

There is a simple fix for (b) and (c) - do the setup online from the phone. Get the SIM into the phone and confirm it has a signal. Then go to Host Routing Table (menu) and select Register Now. This should refresh the HRT if things are working. You could also go into Service Books and View any which might give you a clue what is registered, and which service provider.

Next locate and execute the Email Setup icon which should take you direct to the BIS setup webserver, where you can either login with existing username, or create a new account. Do whichever applies and see if it lets you continue.

If this works you should be able to setup at least one email, and then look for an option to have the server Send your service books.

If option (a) applies and it is really setup and registered with another user's email, you have 2 choices.
    1. Get the other user to login to his BIS site and release the phone from his account.
    2. Have your airtime provider get in touch with RIM to unlock the PIN and IMEI from the server side.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by be-bold
    Hi,

Thanks again for the reply. I will copy my email and your reply into one note, and creat a new thread or so.

It was only the phone I bought from ebay, I do not have a vodafone uk sim.

I now live in Denmark, does this mean I should be looking to register my BIS on the Danish netowrk?

My host routing table gives me the Danish settings.

Thanks for your help.
    10-21-08 02:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD