hey guys,
    i was just wondering if someone could point out the major differences between the bold and 8900, both for AT&T. I use a tour, cause i'm on verizon, but my girlfriend wants a blackberry, and has AT&T. I know the biggest differences are the form factor and 3G, but what else varies?
    Thanks
    07-24-09 12:34 PM
    The Bold has a faster processor.
    The 8900 has more app memory.
    07-24-09 12:36 PM
    the bolds camera is 2 and 8900 3.2 megapixels.
    07-24-09 12:49 PM
    The 8900 also has a slightly larger display (480x360, Bold is 480x320).

BlackBerry - BlackBerry | Wireless Handheld Devices, Software & Services from Research In Motion (RIM)
    07-24-09 12:56 PM
    The 8900 also has a slightly larger display (480x360, Bold is 480x320).

BlackBerry - BlackBerry | Wireless Handheld Devices, Software & Services from Research In Motion (RIM)
    The 8900 does not have a larger display. It's smaller than the Bold's. It does have a higher pixel count. Combined with the smaller screen, it will look somewhat sharper than the Bold'ss.
    07-24-09 12:58 PM
    please lets not forget the keypad. 8900 keypad is terrible, but IMO the trackball is better on the 8900
    07-24-09 01:00 PM
    Oops, I left out the word resolution. I meant larger display resolution.
    07-24-09 01:01 PM
    please lets not forget the keypad. 8900 keypad is terrible, but IMO the trackball is better on the 8900
    personal opinion... as many prefer the slightly spaced out keys on the 8900 (me for one) - i would say the Bolds keypad is more like the Tours though if you're looking for a comparison.
    07-24-09 01:05 PM
    personal opinion... as many prefer the slightly spaced out keys on the 8900 (me for one) - i would say the Bolds keypad is more like the Tours though if you're looking for a comparison.
    if i am correct, this thread is about the differences and not the similarities. plus the tour has exactly the same keypad except for the buttons that are around the trackball. they're are slightly thinner.
    07-24-09 01:12 PM
    tell her go with the bold just for the 3G
    07-24-09 01:16 PM
    8900 has better battery life, uses a different charger input into the phone (dont know what its called).
    07-24-09 01:19 PM
    if i am correct, this thread is about the differences and not the similarities. plus the tour has exactly the same keypad except for the buttons that are around the trackball. they're are slightly thinner.
    Nah... incorrect thread title says Bold v 8900 nothing about similarities or differences.

You said the keypad on the 8900 was "terrible" and I pointed out this was your opinion and as many people prefer the spaces on the 8900 (is there an echo in here?).
    I also mentioned the Bolds keypad was more like the Tours - as the OP has a tour and so something to let his gf try...

What's the problem? Sorry for not agreeing with your opinion on the keypad
    07-24-09 01:36 PM
    Nah... incorrect thread title says Bold v 8900 nothing about similarities or differences.

You said the keypad on the 8900 was "terrible" and I pointed out this was your opinion and as many people prefer the spaces on the 8900 (is there an echo in here?).
    I also mentioned the Bolds keypad was more like the Tours - as the OP has a tour and so something to let his gf try...

hey guys,
    i was just wondering if someone could point out the major differences between the bold and 8900, both for AT&T. I use a tour, cause i'm on verizon, but my girlfriend wants a blackberry, and has AT&T. I know the biggest differences are the form factor and 3G, but what else varies?
    Thanks
    LOL... reading the whole thread and not just the title helps
    i'm not worried about my statement and you not agreeing with it. It's opinion at the end
    Last edited by jayred; 07-24-09 at 01:53 PM.
    07-24-09 01:51 PM

actually, if you reread my first sentence, i did ask for the major differences, so you're right the title says nothing about it, but i asked for differences. however, i still appreciate the input
    07-24-09 01:51 PM
    Bold:

Mini-USB

Larger Display, with a lower pixel count

3G Speeds (if on supported network in supported region.)

Faster Processor (624MHz) but less application memory

Larger Battery (1550mAH from the M-S1, rather then 1440 from the D-X1)

(Personal Opinion, Having used both devices) Better overall keyboard

(Personal Opinion, again, having used both.) More "luxurious feel" - Faux leather back, More chrome, Glowing white/blueish coloured trackball, heavier feel.

8900:

Higher pixel density, but smaller overall display size.

MicroUSB

(as mentioned by someone else who didn't know the name, MicroUSB has a disadvantage as its newer, and most phones don't use it yet.)

3.2MP Camera with AutoFocus and Flash, Better overall image quality, but slower due to having to wait for AutoFocus.

More Application Memory on-board, but slower processor (512MHz)

"Atomic" Trackball, Tends to work better for a longer period of time before needing to be cleaned or replaced.

Smaller overall form-factor then the Bold, which some may like, but some may not. Personally, I like the larger size of the Bold.

Hopefully I've helped and added some valuable information to this post. [:
    07-24-09 02:08 PM
    very helpful, xDAKx, thank you
    07-24-09 02:18 PM
    thank u mates for good classification... Its really usefull..
    07-24-09 02:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD