Hey Guys,

I just blacked out my Blackberry Bold 9000 with new buttons, a new G1 trackball and a black bezel. The problem: The G1 trackball seems to be letting some light through resulting in a slightly purple colour.

It's the result you would expect if say you coloured it in with a sharpy but that is not the case, It is 100% genuine G1 trackball obtained through T-Mobile.

Any help appreciated!
    06-26-09 01:49 PM
    Hey Guys,

I just blacked out my Blackberry Bold 9000 with new buttons, a new G1 trackball and a black bezel. The problem: The G1 trackball seems to be letting some light through resulting in a slightly purple colour.

It's the result you would expect if say you coloured it in with a sharpy but that is not the case, It is 100% genuine G1 trackball obtained through T-Mobile.

Any help appreciated!
    Your not alone I have a G1 trackball from cnn.cn and the
    same problem. I can only notice it at night. It gives off
    the same purple tone. I'm considering the 8900 trackball
    to see if its different.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-26-09 04:20 PM
    I see! Well it's nice to know I am not the only one, Eliminates the possibility that it could be a unofficial product.

I am also considering the 8900 trackball as it seems nicer to use when compared to the G1 and the original Bold trackball, also it seems to block the light out!

How does yours feel? Mine feels like more effort is needed when scrolling as opposed to the original trackball.

Cheers
    06-26-09 05:18 PM
    I see! Well it's nice to know I am not the only one, Eliminates the possibility that it could be a unofficial product.

I am also considering the 8900 trackball as it seems nicer to use when compared to the G1 and the original Bold trackball, also it seems to block the light out!

How does yours feel? Mine feels like more effort is needed when scrolling as opposed to the original trackball.

Cheers
    The same here my trackball felt real slippery before I
    Installed it now with it installed is a chore. The 8900 seems
    to be the way to go. I receive mine in a few days so we'll see.

06-26-09 07:18 PM
    I'm thinking of just buying the 8900 trackball from cnn.cn so hopefully that one performs
    better than that of the G1, don't know why the G1 feels so bad, maybe because
    the G1 phones hardware and software is differently designed to suit it.
    06-27-09 06:06 AM
    I've been using the g1 trackball for a couple of months now and I must say it's a joy to work with. Texture and feel is much better than the original white one. I haven't seen any light go through my ball as it the case with almost everyone else on this board that is using this trackball. Personally I haven't tried the 8900 trackball so I can't comment on that but hardly anyone on this board has anything bad to say about the g1 trackball

06-27-09 10:12 PM
    Yeah my g1 trackball was unusable, it wouldn't scroll in certain directions. The 8900 ball works perfectly though!
    06-27-09 10:24 PM
    It depends a lot on which way you put the trackball on the motherboard as well I think as the first time i put it in it was awful, I then rotated and it was fine.
    I don't find it that bad to use and I can live with it but seems more effort is needed to scroll, especially when navigating to the left.

Last edited by HarveyBB; 06-28-09 at 05:23 AM.
    06-28-09 05:20 AM
    Some light shines through mine too

06-28-09 05:46 AM
    I actually like the little light, *shrug. Curious to know what the 8900 one feels like.
    06-28-09 11:09 AM
    Hey guys, little update! Figured out how to fix the uncompfortable scrolling I actually took the ball out of its casing and swapped it with that of the casing from the original bolds trackball. I thought this would resolve the issue as the casing is actually what determines the behaviour and feel of the trackball.

Still having problem with the light but this seems to be a lesser worry now that the trackball is scrolling well.

Thanks!
    06-28-09 03:06 PM
    I had to do that too. The rollers where messed up so I had to do a switch of trackballs only.

06-28-09 03:09 PM
    Ye it was a bit of a pain, seemed to have messed up the G1's casing but the original casing is fine and working. Didn't realise the balls could physically be removed but I guess you can do anything with a Blackberry!!!
    06-28-09 03:15 PM
    Ye it was a bit of a pain, seemed to have messed up the G1's casing but the original casing is fine and working. Didn't realise the balls could physically be removed but I guess you can do anything with a Blackberry!!!
    How did u remove it? I'm gonna try that also. Still
    waiting on the 8900 trackball to arrive =(

06-28-09 04:00 PM
    My situation is the opposite,

My 8900 trackball lit up purple, and was a bit slippery feeling.

My G1 trackball is solid black, no light comes through, and feels much better than the 8900 trackball.

Who knows?
    06-28-09 08:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD