07-23-11 09:48 AM
45 12
tools
    When mine sticks, I get some type of rubber to get a better grip on the track ball. Usually it's a piece of a wide rubber band. I place this on the trackball and then roll with my finger. The rubber gives my finger a better grip so the tack ball can break loose the small peice of dirt that is stuck.

Or... use one of those large rubber erasers like we used to use in school. It grips the trackball better than your dry finger.
    10-07-09 03:09 PM
    That definitely sounds like a hardware problem. Defective unit perhaps. Try a battery pull and an os restore. If those fail then return

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Why after stating it's a hardware problem which it is would you advise to do a BP or OS reload that is not gonna dislodge whatever got stuck under the trackball. You're comparing hardware vs software. Anyways I had the same issue the other night I just took a lightly damp towel and ran the trackball up and down very fast til it started rolling againg has been working just fine since.

10-07-09 06:59 PM
    I am an expert almost on this issue by now, I lived with my first bold, second and third bold with that problem, and I think I might have found the resolution. This might sound disgusting but out of all methods tried, only this worked. Trust me, I've tried q-tips with alcohol, canned air, digging, everything..

But only licking the ball worked. Lick it on downwards once then lick it a couple times upwards and for some odd reasons it works.

I was skeptical initially when I saw a post on it.. Until I tried it.

LoL interesting... umm, btw... why is there black tape around your mouth?
    10-07-09 07:14 PM
    i've had won't scroll down issues the past month but seemed to of just resolved it following a few of the methods on here....

1) taking the battery out then face down rolling it about on a piece of paper vigorously on a solid table.
    2) using a stationery rubber and rubbing it like mad.
    3) canned air

i still think i am going to get an 8900 rubber trackball though as these first gen Bold trackballs are toilet.
    10-15-09 06:13 AM
    Licking it didn't work with my bold but it did work with my 8900!
    10-15-09 06:48 AM
    Licking it didn't work with my bold but it did work with my 8900!
    I threw this into one of the other threads but I'll toss it in here as well. I've had this problem a few times and have found a solution that works everytime. Just grab some alcohol-based hand sanitizer and put it on the pad of your finger. Roll your trackball around in all directions for a couple seconds. Leave it for another few and the alcohol will evaporate and leave your trackball cleaned right up and working like new. Drives me up the wall when my trackball stops scrolling in a direction and I've yet to have this not work.

10-15-09 10:21 AM
    I just replaced my track ball a couple days ago with a black ball from sw box.com and have been having this issue where would I order the 8900 rubber trackball. I can't have a white one because I work on cars all day and my white ball got so dirty that is was very dull

10-15-09 11:13 AM
    I used to lose ability to scroll from left to right and I tried all the tricks on my Bold. Everyone listed here. The hand sanitizer worked best but the problem kept recurring until eventually I couldn't move the ball at all or I'd manage to move it in one direction then lose the ability to scroll in the other. I got a replacement phone and I forgot just how nice it is to have a clean free scrolling trackball. Kill me but I still miss the trackwheel. Wouldn't it be cool if you had both options the way some laptops have a mouse pad and a pointer?
    10-15-09 11:24 AM
    "Honey what are you doing?"
    "I'm licking my ball"
    "You're WHAT.....???"

10-16-09 08:19 AM
    For the curve, I also removed the trackball then w/qtip wipped w/rubbing alcohol. Also sprayed can air where it sits. Be careful putting the little round plastic rim back in, i snapped a small piece of it. It works fine now.
    10-18-09 06:17 PM
    Yea so after my TB getting stuck when scrolling down and being able to recover. My TB ended up not being able to scroll down and no way to dislodge it. Sooo I You Tubed changing out the trackball and yes after a lil over a year and being out of warranty I am now rockin a G1 Black TB. So far so good! I am definitely gonna try to make sure my hands are clean as much as possible when I use my phone. I have heard that this is a fairly common issue with the 9000. Either way it's fixed, black and rockin!

01-17-10 11:17 PM
    wow i bullshi** you not this just worked for me even though it tasted funny but it worked
    LMAO!!!!! (Theres thats 10)
    01-18-10 05:15 AM
    Livie, can I send my ball to you for a lick?
    01-18-10 06:11 AM
    Tried battery pulls,cleaning with alcohol from above,pushing down and turning,up side down and turning,everything.....
    So..I was searching for the best thread and as many answers i can get for the exact same problem,and got this one,almost last!
    Interesting suggestions,just as I hoped,but I tried everything from above and nothing worked in my case...so I got my jacket on and went buying alcohol,screwdriver t-5,and stuff...and got ma` hands dirty!

After looking some of you tube clips,I disassemble ma` trackball and cleaned it from top to bottom,from left to right,all the tiny parts....
    This was my first time doing that after a year of having ma BB,and there was plenty of dust around those tiny wheels that trackball moves!
    Its working like a charm now!
    Thank you CrackBerry Minds for All da` suggestions and help!

P.S.I sincerely tought that licking will help! )))) ...but,unfortunately-didn`t!
    12-14-10 02:09 PM
    To be honest you'd be surprised in how much dust, link, dead skin cells and other things get lodged in there after a while. After putting a new housing on my Bold 9000 I decided to clean out the trackball, I literally took that thing apart and I was utterly surprised in what I found. To keep it simple it seemed like sawdust clump together in that little ball. Im considering to buy a new one just because next time I order parts for my phone or accessories.
    12-17-10 12:56 AM
    To be honest you'd be surprised in how much dust, link, dead skin cells and other things get lodged in there after a while.
    Yup. I've had my Bold since it was first released eons ago, and finally the TB went out. I know where my phone's been, so no chance in **** was I going to use the 'lick it' trick! After cleaning, I couldn't believe how much CRUD had gotten under the whole entire thing, even crusted up around the teeny magnetic roller pins (which I dropped one of into my plush carpet and had to run a giant fridge magnet over the floor for half an hour before I found it). Smooth rolling now, though
    12-17-10 08:20 PM
    (we can say damn, but we can't say h3ll?)
    Last edited by shanti.virus; 12-17-10 at 08:27 PM.
    12-17-10 08:24 PM
    Any wanna lick my Bold ball? LMFAO

12-18-10 01:42 PM
    I will refrain from licking my trackball, lol. q-tip and alcohol works fine for me.
    12-18-10 01:53 PM
    It WORKED for me too! I am ROTFLMAO! Thank you very much!!
    07-23-11 09:48 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD