After about seven weeks of use, the trackball on my Blackberry Bold suddenly stopped scrolling down. Unlike the other directions, scrolling down is silent, smooth, and doesn't move the cursor. I've tried cleaning the ball using a cloth, and I've tried scrolling vigorously, but to no effect.

Is the trackball cleaning/replacement process on the Bold the same as with previous models? If not, any pointers? Blackberrytrackballs.com doesn't list the Bold/9000 as one of their supported models, so I assume that the design has changed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    10-26-08 05:08 AM
    I would imagine this is covered under warranty and you should contact your phone carrier. My pearl did the same and I got a replacement at no cost to me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-26-08 07:01 AM
    quite simple
    watch BlackBerry Bold 9000 Repair Tutorial
    h**p://cnn.cn/shop/video_info.php?videos_id=26
    10-26-08 07:43 AM
    Thanks, guys. Some vigorous scrolling got the trackball working again. I'd hate to have to repair it after the warranty expires, though... That disassembly video doesn't look like fun!
    10-27-08 01:45 PM
    I suggest using the tutorial... I have the Pearl and have cleaned the trackball so many times that I no longer need the tutorial as a crutch...

I fear that if you go in to the store and get a replacement, it would likely be a refurbished phone.
    10-27-08 02:55 PM
    It's not too hard to disassemble the Bold...
    Just follow the video!
    10-27-08 08:42 PM
    I fear that if you go in to the store and get a replacement, it would likely be a refurbished phone.
    Refurbished can be a good thing. All it really means is it's left the factory once and thus can't be sold as "new". Within a factory, products that fail test get 'reworked' so they do finally work/look ok. Reworked or refurbished still means "fixed so it's like new".

Refurbished units are more(?) carefully looked at and tested to make sure they're "as good as new". Like most people I prefer 'new' product, but have never actually had a problems with anything "refurbished" I've ever had (either cosmetically or functionally, and I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist)...
    Last edited by wibblyw; 10-28-08 at 03:38 AM.
    10-28-08 03:35 AM
    mine does this from time to time. I find giving it a few good smacks against the palm of my other hand fixes it.

G
    10-29-08 09:04 AM
    hi guys,

My trackball doesn't scroll smoothly, it feels like there is a rock under there or something, compared to my father's Bold and my brother's Pearl.

If i take it apart to clean it, it will void my warranty correct? I'll probably bring it there to have it looked at..
    11-10-08 03:50 AM
    What a pain in the *** it is to change out the trackball on a bold. The curve was so easy, pop the little chrome do-dad off and the trackball comes out. With the bold you have to completely take apart the entire phone, and you need a special screwdriver to do it. My trackball is busted after about three months, can't scroll left at all. I'm trying to decide whether I want to go through the hassle of AT&T and getting it replaced or just getting a new trackball and doing it myself. Arg!
    05-21-09 10:51 AM
    which opening tool is better, the one that looks like a disc or the one that looks like a pen, or doesnt matter.
    07-22-09 06:13 PM
    What a pain in the *** it is to change out the trackball on a bold. The curve was so easy, pop the little chrome do-dad off and the trackball comes out. With the bold you have to completely take apart the entire phone, and you need a special screwdriver to do it. My trackball is busted after about three months, can't scroll left at all. I'm trying to decide whether I want to go through the hassle of AT&T and getting it replaced or just getting a new trackball and doing it myself. Arg!

It's not as bad as you think , I did mine so I can have the black ball.

And a foot note I suck at doing this kinda stuff.

And it took me about 20 min to do it. Just take it nice and slow and all shall work out.
    07-22-09 08:05 PM
    which opening tool is better, the one that looks like a disc or the one that looks like a pen, or doesnt matter.
    I don't know if its true but I heard your credit card should be good also as the opening tool

07-22-09 08:23 PM
    'feels like there are rocks' under the trackball bring me back to the pre optical sensor mouse days, when my university labs only had mouseballs. You'd go in there to use a mouse and the rollers would be CAKED ON with dirt and lint. I'd always clean the rollers before settling in for an afternoon of surfing lol.

I do get the occasional rollerball stalling. I usually take an alcohol swab and gently dab it over the ball. I find that allows just enough alcohol to seep down on the rollers and dissolve any deposit that has accumulated.

It's funny though. It is exclusively in the downward direction that I lose maneuverability. What's up with that?

As for the actual process...yeah...it's a doozey. Taking it apart, replacing the Bezel which is what I did (didn't need to do the ball, though for experience I opened it took the ball out and replaced while I was there) was fun. The hardest part was getting the lcd to reseat flush properly. That was a ROYAL PITA.
    07-23-09 05:45 AM
    I want to replace my trackball, where is the best placement to buy one? Deal Extreme? And do I need a another ring too?

Thanks
    12-09-09 07:26 AM
    I like the one that looks like the pen myself...

and trust me its not even remotely as hard as you think!!!

I did it myself...in about 5 min. Watching a video. The only hard part is getting that darn silver clip off the trackball....the rest is really common sense...

Make sure you put a towel down before you start. and just take your time and be organized.
    12-09-09 07:31 AM
    The link to the repair video is no longer good. My Bold 9000 trackball stopped going down. I was going to take it apart and replace the trackball. The Bold trackball does not remove from the front (does not snap out with a screw driver) like prior versions of the blackberries. Before I did that, I took alcohol on a Q Tip swab and wetted down the ball and kept moving it around to clean it. It worked in less than 10 seconds.
    03-03-10 09:42 AM
    Mine has quit scrolling down many times. Take a drinking straw and cut it down the middle lengthways so that you have a curved piece similar to this ")". Then stick it down in beside the trackball and run it around different ways. It works great, and gets a lot of junk out of it! Try it, you'll be amazed!

03-03-10 01:07 PM
    cnn.cn and truesupplier.com

they both have good items and good shipping.

03-16-10 10:49 PM
    My Bold 9000 is out of warranty and my trackball was stuck. It was jumpy, would only work side to side and wouldn't scroll down. Wiping it didn't work, aggressive scrolling didn't get it anywhere, so I took a plastic straw, split it in half with a exacto knife about 2" up the shaft, and then gently stuck the semiscircle straw into the gap between the trackball and the housing. I then pulled it up and down a bit and rotated it around the ball to get things moving and dislodge any dirt or buildup. IT WORKED! Brand as new! Be careful not to be too rough once you get it in there as you don;t want to damage the sensors, but if you take care, this is an easy and effective solution.
    03-25-10 03:54 PM
    I'll have to give that a try.. now if I can only find a straw here at work.. haha...
    03-25-10 04:21 PM
    Seriously though, do I need to remove my sim card and the lcd screen to change the bezel and the trackball? I am seriously scared to mess up the lcd.
    04-07-10 11:24 AM
    Seriously though, do I need to remove my sim card and the lcd screen to change the bezel and the trackball? I am seriously scared to mess up the lcd.
    it really isn't hard to replace a trackball.
    The simcard does not need to be removed and neither does the screen.
    Remove the back of the phone.
    Remove the battery
    There are 6 screws which uses a star screwdriver size t6 remove those screws.
    The black housing should now come out.
    No gently prize the silver bezel off paying special attention around the usb and headphone jack no tools are needed for this just a little patience.
    Your keyboard and outer will be removed and you will be left with a your screen and your trackball in a metal housing.
    To remove the trackball a small precision screwdriver or even a pair of tweezers can remove the metal housing.
    From there you just pop the ball out and change/clean it using alcohol.

Like I said there is no need to touch anything to do with the screen despite what the video says.

To put it all back together just do the removal procedure in reverse!
    Be careful when putting the screen back in as there is a lip at the top of the screen which just needs a little careful precision and time to put in.

This was all done from memory but I have take my blackberry apart so many times I can't remember and even soldered on a new headphone jack so if any help is needed then pm me I am more than welcome to help.

Cheers.

04-07-10 04:38 PM
    I have problem with the dome button, no more tactile response

04-08-10 06:00 AM
    it really isn't hard to replace a trackball.
    The simcard does not need to be removed and neither does the screen.
    Remove the back of the phone.
    Remove the battery
    There are 6 screws which uses a star screwdriver size t6 remove those screws.
    The black housing should now come out.
    No gently prize the silver bezel off paying special attention around the usb and headphone jack no tools are needed for this just a little patience.
    Your keyboard and outer will be removed and you will be left with a your screen and your trackball in a metal housing.
    To remove the trackball a small precision screwdriver or even a pair of tweezers can remove the metal housing.
    From there you just pop the ball out and change/clean it using alcohol.

Like I said there is no need to touch anything to do with the screen despite what the video says.

To put it all back together just do the removal procedure in reverse!
    Be careful when putting the screen back in as there is a lip at the top of the screen which just needs a little careful precision and time to put in.

This was all done from memory but I have take my blackberry apart so many times I can't remember and even soldered on a new headphone jack so if any help is needed then pm me I am more than welcome to help.

Cheers.

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank u!!! Still waiting for everything from CNN.CN appreciate your help
    04-08-10 11:06 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD