07-16-09 09:48 PM
129 ... 23456
tools
    Ok...still waiting on the company to price out the screws for me. They are going to most likely order the rod stock from some friends of mine at alpha knife supply. I do not have any pics of anything as none of it has been made yet. A prototype for the housing will take a bit of time as I mentioned before to make sure the tolerances are perfect. With the Ti being so thin for the bezel and door, once it is protoyped and tested the final design should not be too expensive.

For those that asked about designs, if/when this gets done I can put you in touch with my engineerand you can work something out with him. I hadn't really thout about that aspect, but he has a laser engraver that he uses for the logo on the clip and blades of the knives that he could do it with. The only problem with this would be the design. While writing a name or similar would be easy because it is only lettering, there would have to be a consensus and enough interest to warrant creating and programming a couple designs to use. A design could not be personalized for each person, but if a couple were decided on I am sure we could do that. This however is putting the cart 2 miles ahead of the horse as we have not even begun the prototyping process for the housing yet, and this month is the busiest month of the year with Blade show(largest knife show in the world) at the end of the month and we have a couple booths there.

I will definitely have the screws either done or on the way by then.

Hopefully I can get this all done in a timely manner, that or the bold formfactor will stick aroundfor a while like the curve. It would really be useless if we did this and the bold didn't stick around for a while, or at least the same formfactor.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-16-09 10:54 AM
    I too would love to see the finished product
    05-16-09 02:48 PM
    One reason RIM uses a plastic bezel and back is to eliminate a problem with antenna interference for radio propagation and reception.
    mmmm why does the storm then have a steel/metal door?
    05-16-09 04:02 PM
    would be interested in battery door!
    especially if i can pay more to make it engravable or if in different colors etc?
    05-16-09 04:23 PM
    it'd be prety sweet if we had the option of adding the BB logo on the battery cover..

wouldn't that look slick? lol
    05-16-09 07:30 PM
    Little off topic, but...

Croe, I was/am in the market for some new knives. Just started looking seriously at them. Carrying and collecting. I was wondering which brand you are affiliated with? Site? Catalog? Thanks in advance.
    05-16-09 09:48 PM
    Thanks Croe for spearheading this side project. It's going to give our Bolds a Sexy edge over the upcoming models. I'll second the Laser engraving of the BB logo on the back! Would love to see it all in Ti: back, bezel, and screws.

Keep us posted and Best of Luck!

-Danny
    05-16-09 10:48 PM
    This sounds frickn' sweet! Waiting to see some results on this myself. Something I miss from my old RAZR, all that pretty black metal And I think we could all agree on having the CB logo on that battery door!
    05-20-09 11:28 PM
    Bump. I'm still interested in this. What's the progress?

05-23-09 12:50 PM
    I would like to see some pics.
    05-23-09 12:56 PM
    Hi Croe,

I'm also interested in the complete set if and when available. I work in the carbide manufacturing industry. Having my Bold covered in Ti as well would be awesome. I'd also like the slightly darker than gunmetal color if the option becomes available in the future. Good luck on what will prove to be painful, but rewarding project if you can pull it off. You may just have a winning idea that needs to be nurtured beyond the "hobby" stage. It might be just the thing to ride you through slow times in the knife industry if they were to materialize. Who knows?

Bryan
    05-23-09 05:30 PM
    gunmetal rocks!
    05-23-09 06:28 PM
    Hey guys,

Sorry for the long time between posts. I have been getting prepped for the knife show this coming weekend and doing a $HIT load of home improvement work.

I will be meeting up with "Bubba", cad engineer, this Thursday and will have some updates by that night hopefully.

As for pics, again, this is a somewhat slower process than just molding or painting and existing cover.....has to be completely manufactured from scratch.

I have the first round of screws in and am testing them now as well as passing some along to Bubba to test out at the shop......don't want to pass along anything I don't think is quality. I only have a small batch (30 Ti 30 Steel) to test, and then will be ordering around 200-300 of each if they meet the standards...if not then I will reorder in a better material. The Ti is 6al4v so I have no problem saying that these will be what I will be using from here on out.

As far as the bezel and battery door, I am also looking at some options I've been discussing with Bubba on getting more than just the Bold done. We are also talking about adding a rubber ring around the inside of the battery door (think O-ring) to make the battery door feel more solid when it clicks into place.

Again, my main concern is that with the number of new phones RIM seems to have planned and coming this could be a complete waste of time for all those, like me, that get the latest and greatest to play with when they come out. If we can figure out a process that will allow for a shorter prototyping/testing/production time then it will be nice to offer these up.

And yes....the CB logo and, if I can pay for a trademark right to use the BB logo I will add that into the line up. If not then I think the CB logo would do nicely.

And Gun-Metal is the best damn color for Ti I have ever handled....I have many custom knives with Ti Gun-Metal Orange-peeled handles.

Updates soon hopefully, but again.....have the big knife show as well as heading to Mississippi for a friends engagement party for a couple days after.

Thanks all.
    05-25-09 12:29 PM
    Sweet! Thanks for the update and good luck at the show! As far as people getting new Berry's goes, I personally don't plan on getting anything until the Magnum comes out
    Something I've been thinking about, if the battery door is made out of metal, how's it going to affect the sound quality?

05-25-09 05:31 PM
    Updates???
    05-31-09 11:41 PM
    I would be interested in a bezel, battery door and screws. My hubby works outside and he needs as many indestructable parts as possible. This is one of the reasons he still uses his curve and hasn't upgraded to the bold yet. He loves my bold, bu doesn't want chance getting one for himself and messing it up. If I could convince him we could make the bold more user friendly for him to use while working outside, he just might let me upgrade him!LOL!
    06-01-09 10:42 AM
    considering I just snapped off a screw in my bold, and have to order a new Bezel...

I'm highly interested in some Ti screws
    06-01-09 04:03 PM
    Those stock screws are really made for one time use, screwing it on and nothing else. Having stronger screws would help us out immensely.
    06-01-09 05:58 PM
    my broken screw thread... with pics.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/broke-screw-239455/
    Last edited by ebedoun; 06-01-09 at 07:36 PM.
    06-01-09 07:32 PM
    I am headed to a local bolt and screw shop to get a run of Titanium and possibly Stainless screws made for the Bold...I have 4 Bolds and doubt I will ever want a different phone as I don't see how any of the upcoming releases can come close.

Anyways...I am getting about 1-200 of each and wanted to see if anyone was interested. I will be selling them in 12 packs, and may have both Ti and stainless option depending on cost. I will also only ship to the US or canada, or if worth my while and a larger order is placed I will ship out of those areas as well. If anyone is interested please PM AND post here in this thread.

I will have an update on pricing tonight.

I am also planning a run of a full machined Titanium and Aluminum Bezels and Battery doors for the Bold, and if the intereyst is there I will do them for the 8900 as well. If this goes into production I will also be able to offer anodizing for a few select colors. I am working with my CNC guy on the CAD that I use for my production knife company and he says it can be done, but the price for materials, either Ti or aluminum is higher than usual.

Again, if there is enough interest here I will do it, if not I will show mine off when done! Please post about interest and I will check it out, reply back and get it done if wanted.

Thanks all!

Are you saying you could make a metal battery cover? If so, I might be really interested

EDIT: You are now seeing my inner stupidity. Yes, I picked that up from reading a few pages back in the thread, and yes, I might still be really interested.
    Last edited by techluvr1234; 06-01-09 at 10:40 PM.
    06-01-09 09:28 PM
    i can use a new set of screws. Since one of mine broke in half when i was changing my bezel.
    06-01-09 09:54 PM
    I am also interested in the whole set. Any updates on price or availability?
    06-02-09 08:16 AM
    ....timing on photos and approximate pricing of battery door and bezel?
    06-02-09 08:38 AM
    Hey guys.....finally got done with Blade Show. I am still waiting on pricing for the screws and from the word I am getting I may have to order around 15 thousand to make it worth their while. No matter though as I spoke with a bunch of custom and production makers at the show and they are in for quite a bit of the stock for standoff screws and scale screws, so I shouldn't have a problem getting my money back out of them for an order that size.

Gave Bubba one of my Bolds to take back with him and scan, cad, and begin prototyping it out. He will be letting me know in the next 2 weeks how it is going....trial and error to make sure the fit is correct. He said there will most like need to be some sort of liner inside to allow the Ti to be nice and thin while holding the battery in place if jarred which is no big deal but just wanted to let you guys know.

Will keep you updated as I get them myself.
    06-02-09 09:57 PM
    Thanks Croe! Tell Bubba we're rooting for him!

06-02-09 11:21 PM
129 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD