I am headed to a local bolt and screw shop to get a run of Titanium and possibly Stainless screws made for the Bold...I have 4 Bolds and doubt I will ever want a different phone as I don't see how any of the upcoming releases can come close.

Anyways...I am getting about 1-200 of each and wanted to see if anyone was interested. I will be selling them in 12 packs, and may have both Ti and stainless option depending on cost. I will also only ship to the US or canada, or if worth my while and a larger order is placed I will ship out of those areas as well. If anyone is interested please PM AND post here in this thread.

I will have an update on pricing tonight.

I am also planning a run of a full machined Titanium and Aluminum Bezels and Battery doors for the Bold, and if the intereyst is there I will do them for the 8900 as well. If this goes into production I will also be able to offer anodizing for a few select colors. I am working with my CNC guy on the CAD that I use for my production knife company and he says it can be done, but the price for materials, either Ti or aluminum is higher than usual.

Again, if there is enough interest here I will do it, if not I will show mine off when done! Please post about interest and I will check it out, reply back and get it done if wanted.

Thanks all!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-13-09 03:46 PM
    i would be interested in a bezel!
    05-13-09 03:51 PM
    Might want to check how much interference you get with a metal bezel.
    05-13-09 04:08 PM
    Might want to check how much interference you get with a metal bezel.
    Good point. I'll wrap my Bold in tinfoil and giver a try!
    05-13-09 04:37 PM
    One reason RIM uses a plastic bezel and back is to eliminate a problem with antenna interference for radio propagation and reception.
    05-13-09 05:06 PM
    Good point. I'll wrap my Bold in tinfoil and giver a try!

Can you hear me now?
    05-13-09 05:07 PM
    That and your metal bezel will probably damage a lot easier than plastic =P.

You better coat it with something, because it's gonna scratch pretty easy, not to mention dents and expansion/contraction from heat...

Ah yes, and let's not forget that metal conducts. Does the bezel have conductive contact with the motherboard? I think it does... Maybe if you insulate the contact points you can get around that issue.
    Last edited by papped; 05-13-09 at 05:10 PM.
    05-13-09 05:08 PM
    I am headed to a local bolt and screw shop to get a run of Titanium and possibly Stainless screws made for the Bold...I have 4 Bolds and doubt I will ever want a different phone as I don't see how any of the upcoming releases can come close.

Anyways...I am getting about 1-200 of each and wanted to see if anyone was interested. I will be selling them in 12 packs, and may have both Ti and stainless option depending on cost. I will also only ship to the US or canada, or if worth my while and a larger order is placed I will ship out of those areas as well. If anyone is interested please PM AND post here in this thread.

I am also planning a run of a full machined Titanium and Aluminum Bezels and Battery doors for the Bold, and if the intereyst is there I will do them for the 8900 as well. If this goes into production I will also be able to offer anodizing for a few select colors. I am working with my CNC guy on the CAD that I use for my production knife company and he says it can be done, but the price for materials, either Ti or aluminum is higher than usual.

Again, if there is enough interest here I will do it, if not I will show mine off when done! Please post about interest and I will check it out, reply back and get it done if wanted.

Thanks all!

LOLOL your changing the screws why?
    05-13-09 05:09 PM

Thanks all!

Yeah... I'm not really sure about this. I don't need any extra screws. I think the ones I have work fine unless there is more information you have that we may need to know.

Also, as previous posts have eluded to, I'm pretty sure a metal bezel would mess with reception, especially considering the Bold was designed for a plastic one, unlike for example the iPhone... Not to mention it's lighter.
    05-13-09 05:16 PM
    Ok...let me clarify as it seems nobody here has any clue about what titanium is as evidenced by the posts about "metal" and interference problems. Titanium has absolutely no metallic signature or properties. If it did then there would be a lot of dead mine sweepers as they used to have to poke around to find them with a titanium knife. No metallic signature = no interference. Not sure about aluminum, but I would guess it would probably reduce signal a bit...how much I do not know.

Now...on to the screws...it would also appear that most who answered here have never taken their bold apart, nor understand the fragility of the steel screws used. They are 1/4" 1mm diameter screws...very small and very thin, and the probablility of having manufacturing issues causing failure of said steel screw is very high due to the precision they must be cut. Go ahead...try to find that exact screw size online and IF you find them take a look at how expensive they are. That is for steel screws, which even if made of hardened steel, because of size and threading they will always fail after multiple uses(if you take your phone apart as often as some one here.

Titanium on the other hand is much stronger, and even if cracked is much less likely to sheer off as the steel screws will and have done to myself and others that have posted here. I think one post even said the guy dropped his phone and one sheered from impact. That won't happen with Ti. I have ruined 3 bezels because of faulty screws or the screws wore out from replacing the bezels...either way, it shouldn't have happened.

The only reason RIM probably doesn't use Ti is because of cost. Just like any company that supplies a manufactured product they want the cheapest cost with the highest returns...****...look at where they are manufactured.

Now, back to the metal causing interference thing. I am not positive about this, but isn't the 8900 battery door metal covered over plastic? And doesn't the iphone have a metal housing, and as far as wifi...**** I have a brand new completely aluminum macbook that gets better wifi signal than anything I have ever used. Same with my iTouch which has a, you guessed it, metal backing.

I would figure the Bold, percentage wise, has about as much metal on or around the radio as does your car. Do you ever get interference from driving in your car, or those of you who have the high end ceramic/titanium window tint..any issues? Nope...only time I have problems is when I go swimming with it, climb mount Everest, fly my jet above 10000 feet, turn it off, or am in between towers.

So after our tiny lesson on layman's metallurgy, which if anyone needs I can go much more in depth about, do we all understand that Titanium is not metal and therfore will not cause interference? If so then please quit the griping. If you don't want any then don't post. I am simply offering to get more if anyone else happens to be interested since I am getting them for myself...not trying to make a business out of it, nor do I really care what people who are uneducated on the properties of metal vs titanium think. That and for convenience reasons I will also be using this same size screw on some other custom work I do for a hobby(not on blackberries).

Everyone happy and cheerful now, or are there still some that think titanium is metal? If so, then PM me and I will be more than happy to post a properties sheet up for you to read.

05-13-09 05:52 PM
    Oh, and Ti would be just as if not lighter than the plastic bezel, as well as the screws.

05-13-09 05:54 PM
    well, im done being insulted in this thread... since you don't want to speak like an adult i don't have any furthur opinions...
    05-13-09 05:56 PM
    well, im done being insulted in this thread... since you don't want to speak like an adult i don't have any furthur opinions...
    Sounds good to me. If you don't want to speak as an educated adult and go from speculation without research or knowledge then don't clutter my thread with ignorance.

If you post in a thread started by someone else offering something that is solely for the modders out there that may appreciate the idea or offering then I would hope you are adult enough to handle a response.

05-13-09 06:04 PM
    If thats how you feel you should preface all your threads with "No jokes... Only serious replies"
    05-13-09 06:06 PM
    Now...on to the screws...it would also appear that most who answered here have never taken their bold apart, nor understand the fragility of the steel screws used. They are 1/4" 1mm diameter screws...very small and very thin, and the probablility of having manufacturing issues causing failure of said steel screw is very high due to the precision they must be cut. Go ahead...try to find that exact screw size online and IF you find them take a look at how expensive they are. That is for steel screws, which even if made of hardened steel, because of size and threading they will always fail after multiple uses(if you take your phone apart as often as some one here.
    I've taken my Bold apart 6 times at least. Not to mention 1 out of the 2 options is a big "i don't know" on radio interference (which was only one of the possible problems)...

But I doubt this is even necessary as I wager hardly anyone is going to go for this without me having to say anything. I know the condescending attitude makes all you out there want to buy from this guy real badly too =P. Please send him your money...

So if I can take the phone apart without any stripping issues at least 6 times on the stock screws, that 0.05% of you who take it apart more than that, feel free to replace your screws...
    Last edited by papped; 05-13-09 at 06:17 PM.
    05-13-09 06:09 PM
    Ok...let me clarify as it seems nobody here has any clue about what titanium is as evidenced by the posts about "metal" and interference problems. Titanium has absolutely no metallic signature or properties. If it did then there would be a lot of dead mine sweepers as they used to have to poke around to find them with a titanium knife. No metallic signature = no interference. Not sure about aluminum, but I would guess it would probably reduce signal a bit...how much I do not know.

Titanium on the other hand is much stronger, and even if cracked is much less likely to sheer off as the steel screws will and have done to myself and others that have posted here. I think one post even said the guy dropped his phone and one sheered from impact. That won't happen with Ti. I have ruined 3 bezels because of faulty screws or the screws wore out from replacing the bezels...either way, it shouldn't have happened.

The only reason RIM probably doesn't use Ti is because of cost. Just like any company that supplies a manufactured product they want the cheapest cost with the highest returns...****...look at where they are manufactured.

Now, back to the metal causing interference thing. I am not positive about this, but isn't the 8900 battery door metal covered over plastic? And doesn't the iphone have a metal housing, and as far as wifi...**** I have a brand new completely aluminum macbook that gets better wifi signal than anything I have ever used. Same with my iTouch which has a, you guessed it, metal backing.

I would figure the Bold, percentage wise, has about as much metal on or around the radio as does your car. Do you ever get interference from driving in your car, or those of you who have the high end ceramic/titanium window tint..any issues? Nope...only time I have problems is when I go swimming with it, climb mount Everest, fly my jet above 10000 feet, turn it off, or am in between towers.

So after our tiny lesson on layman's metallurgy, which if anyone needs I can go much more in depth about, do we all understand that Titanium is not metal and therfore will not cause interference? If so then please quit the griping. If you don't want any then don't post. I am simply offering to get more if anyone else happens to be interested since I am getting them for myself...not trying to make a business out of it, nor do I really care what people who are uneducated on the properties of metal vs titanium think. That and for convenience reasons I will also be using this same size screw on some other custom work I do for a hobby(not on blackberries).

Everyone happy and cheerful now, or are there still some that think titanium is metal? If so, then PM me and I will be more than happy to post a properties sheet up for you to read.

LOL listen to how ridiculous you sound. RIM didnt use Ti screws because they dont need to.

Your talking about modding a cell phone save your $$ so Obama doesnt have to give you mine that I earned.
    05-13-09 06:34 PM
    do these screws strip?
    05-13-09 06:37 PM
    I'd definitely be interested in getting a couple bezels.
    Would the part be anodized?

edit: was so excited, i didn't read the whole post.. :S
    haha.

Let us know on pricing. I'd like to get two bezels
    05-13-09 06:37 PM
    I'd be interested in a Ti bezel.
    05-13-09 06:43 PM
    I've taken my Bold apart 6 times at least. Not to mention 1 out of the 2 options is a big "i don't know" on radio interference (which was only one of the possible problems)...

But I doubt this is even necessary as I wager hardly anyone is going to go for this without me having to say anything. I know the condescending attitude makes all you out there want to buy from this guy real badly too =P. Please send him your money...

So if I can take the phone apart without any stripping issues at least 6 times on the stock screws, that 0.05% of you who take it apart more than that, feel free to replace your screws...
    While I am very happy you have had no issues there are some that have. This post was for those that have had screws that snapped due to defective or cheap materials.

As far as your comment about wanting to buy from me "real badly"...maybe you too should read over the post again. I am not starting a business out of this nor do I need anyone to buy these from me as I use the screws for other purposes than blackberry parts. I am simply offering them to anyone who wants them and will have more made if there is a want. Not charging any more than what I pay plus shipping to whomever wants them. Does it really matter if anyone wants them...no it doesn't, but I thought there might be some out there that HAVE had this problem that may want a be all end all solution.

When you do sheer one of yours off one day they are about $13 plus $9 or $10 for shipping and you only get 2. I think some dude has some on ebay as well, but I don't know what his cost or what the quality of materials is.

So...again, if you are going to post without reading in an ignorant manner than I am happy to respond in kind. I am very happy that you have had no issues and have no interest in any other parts than the OEM ones that came with your phone.

Oh...and there were actually 4 options, not 2 as you posted. Ti screws, bezel, battery door, or aluminum bezel and door. I am also getting some hardened steel screws, but doubt anyone would want those...I use them for other hobbies where Ti is not needed.

05-13-09 06:46 PM
    05-13-09 06:49 PM
    LOL listen to how ridiculous you sound. RIM didnt use Ti screws because they dont need to.

Your talking about modding a cell phone save your $$ so Obama doesnt have to give you mine that I earned.
    No worries on my end. And unless you make $250K or more per year you have nothing to worry about. I do unfortunately fall in the bracket that has to give back, so I will make sure to send a note to the Obama camp asking not to distribute MY hard earned money to some guy on crackberry that has an issue about someone spending a few bucks on modding a phone. Now, if you do fall in that bracket then I would be willing to bet that you have bought something that was a bit higher in price because of quality, or are you just talking out of your a$$ and working as a walmart greeter who has no idea of what Obama's plan actually is?

Damn...for offering up something I figured would be a nice gesture there sure are a lot of a$$holes here that just seem to have nothing positive to say.

For those that have said they would like something...the bezels are going to be a bit longer to get the pricing on, but the screws I should have tomorrow afternoon since I have to bring one in and get it properly mic'd for manufacturing.

05-13-09 06:57 PM

So let me get this straight... You post a question here asking us if we'd like to buy something from you. We point out our issues / questions and you proceed to berate us because we don't understand the "metalology." Here's an idea **** face... Why not present your product's benefits and uses before going for the close; this way you prevent 2 things from happening 1. you don't get a bunch of responses like: "what is this now?" 2. you don't set yourself up to look like a ****** rocket, tool shed by responding like you're talking to the "peasants."

So to answer your OP, no I will not buy your screws or bezels. If either of mine fail, I will happily buy from another source at a higher cost because your sales force just isn't up to snuff. Sorry.
    05-13-09 06:58 PM
    Like I said...someone on ebay has them, but if there is no need for them as mentioned before then why does anyone have them for sale?

05-13-09 07:01 PM
    FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
    05-13-09 07:01 PM
129 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD