I think a titanium bezel with a carbon fiber battery cover would be pretty sweet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-03-09 01:22 PM
    I'd be very interested just want to see a finished product.
    06-03-09 01:26 PM
    hey i would love to get the battery door, bezel and screws if and when they become available. Also would love a satin finish similar to the finish on the stock bezel around the cam lens.
    06-07-09 11:43 AM
    wow, all that over screws lol

sounds cool though
    06-07-09 02:39 PM
    can anyone tell me whats the screw size we use on the bold?
    06-07-09 04:23 PM
    For standard screw sizes with T5 capscrew it should be either M1.4 or M1.6 - these will be ISO coarse thread. I'll try to remember and measure one tomorrow but it won't be high on my todo list.

There is a very remote possibility it will be a US inch or number size, but highly unlikely with canadian design and international manufacture.
    06-07-09 06:18 PM
    For standard screw sizes with T5 capscrew it should be either M1.4 or M1.6 - these will be ISO coarse thread. I'll try to remember and measure one tomorrow but it won't be high on my todo list.

There is a very remote possibility it will be a US inch or number size, but highly unlikely with canadian design and international manufacture.
    Thank you Branta, I tried to search T5 screws on McMaster-Carr where I usually order parts for my school project, but I don't know which screw I have to use because I dont have T5 drive around me..
    06-07-09 08:20 PM
    I'm interested, any clue as to price for bezel, buttons, and screws?

06-07-09 10:37 PM
    OK, I got some screws from ACE hardware, its not torx head, it is Philip head.
    the size is 0-80 1/4. if any of you guys want to replace your screws, you can get this size. BTW, it is stainless steel.
    if you want to get torx head, try mcmaster-carr, they carry stainless head 0-80 1/4.
    $5.30 for a pack of 50. it is stainless steel
    Last edited by ronan_zj; 06-08-09 at 04:45 PM.
    06-08-09 04:39 PM
    Yeah most of the ebay replacement screws aren't torx either.
    06-08-09 04:42 PM
    I'm all up for it I'd pay for a bezel

06-08-09 04:46 PM
    it werid, the screw I bought does not fit into the phone.
    but 0-80 is the smallest size i have seen from the chart...
    06-08-09 04:53 PM
    I would absolutely love some titanium screws. may be in on the rest as well pending price and pics.
    06-08-09 05:18 PM

I think it is M1.4, coz I just tried M1.6 which is 0-80 1/4, its still too big.
    From Mcmaster-carr, The werid thing is the one I bought is machine screw, M1.6/0-80 1/4. But when I check the socket screw, size 0-80 is M1.4 , so I am really confused about the two different screw.
    Last edited by ronan_zj; 06-08-09 at 08:19 PM.
    06-08-09 08:15 PM
    I just bought a bag of 50 T5 stainless steel screws with 1/4 inch length from a store, so I will see if it fits the phone
    06-08-09 09:12 PM
    Just wanted to say that I'm definitely interested in a titanium battery cover if it's high quality. And if you can get the BB logo laser engraved on there, all the better.
    06-22-09 02:36 AM
    Any word from Bubba, Croe?
    06-24-09 04:03 AM
    Any word from Bubba, Croe?
    +1

I'd be interested in some screws, if not a bezel depending on the price/quality.
    06-24-09 04:30 AM
    definantly will follow this thread. very interested in Ti bezel and batt. cover.
    06-24-09 04:39 AM
    I will also buy a bezel and back cover made from Ti

would pay for it...
    06-24-09 06:10 AM
    OKay, so I'm definately interested more now.

Titanium Bezel, Screws and ****, if you can make a titanium Battery Cover including battery latch, why not, ets go crazy!

Just let me know the pricing beforehand so I can confirm.

I'm not being sarcastic either, I would love a titanium everything. I'm gonna see if I can get the Leather backing made here, glue it on myself if I have to =)
    06-24-09 10:00 AM
    I would be interested in both titanium bezel and screws. Getting the bold in just a couple weeks now! Gotta make sure it's tricked out, of course.
    06-24-09 10:11 AM
    i like the idea of an adonised back and bezel, could look sweet if the colors are right, i would have questioned the metal/reception thing, but then i did not know titanium was not metal ('you learn something new everyday' so they say.) not too fussed for the screws, but then im not planning on taking my bold apart. i get my bold tomorrow so will check with you then, would be interesting to see tho.
    06-24-09 11:32 AM
    sounds good !
    06-24-09 12:58 PM
    Sounds like an awesome idea....only I don't have the Bold.

The only real drawback to this is going to be the cost.

Titanium is difficult to machine due to it's strength. So the cost of tools is gong to be greater due to this fact.

Also, are you looking at having a few one offs? Or are you looking to have these mass produced in a certain quantity?That is somethign else that needs too be looked at.

In addition to the above, what specs? CAD/Technical Drawing? The machinist is going to need all of that info prior to starting.

So far as I know, I don't believe that you can melt Titanium down and pour it into a mold. I'm not saying that you can't, I have just never seen it done on a small scale. Machining would still need to be done to clean it up but not as much due to only having to do clean up work as opposed to taking a whole block of Titanium and milling it down.

But definitely consider the above as it is going to cost quite a bit. Titanium in and of itself as a material is expensive. I is currently at like $9.15USD an ounce......
    06-24-09 01:29 PM
129 ... 3456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD