Maybe there is a time frame for when they go wrong I was very miffed at why my phone behaved in this sense and when they sent it off for repair it took 3weeks but I must say when they sent the refurb out to me I was happy to have my phone back but when it devoloped more problems I wasnt happy but the way o2 complaints handled the situation very well and decided as I have 2 contracts with them they would give me a brand new one that is work fantastic touch wood lol :-p

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

I guess O2 handles warranty in a different way. With Rogers if it's under 30 days, they send you a brand new replacement. If it's over 31 days, they send you a refurb. We're never left without a phone. The refurb gets sent out and we are suppose to send back the defective unit right away. In my case it was different because they sent me a not so great refurb. The problem is, they have too many refurbs and I will always end up with a refurb. I highly doubt I will ever get a brand new replacement. So you are very lucky!

I'm not trying to sound too picky about refurbs. I just don't like how they package them. The refurb box moves all over the place. I shake the box abit and I can hear all this clunking noise. They can't afford bubble wrap or something! Gesh!
    04-18-09 03:00 PM
    I have to say that this wasn't my experience on .162
    Fair enough. Perhaps I should reword my statement. Instead of ".162 was a bad OS" I should have said "there a many documented issues that many users experience using .162." It's strange how much an OS install seems to vary from phone to phone, even after a complete device wipe. About all I have to go on with my statements about .162 is the myriad posts from CB and other forum users who have seen problems they were having go away upon upgrading. My Bold came with .167 on it, and I did a bunch of reading on the forums and decided to upgrade it the day I brought it home for the first time.

My biggest point though was simply that upgrading the OS is no harder than reloading it, and even when you completely wipe it in between versions, the process is well documented here and there is nothing to worry about. Debranding and more advanced phone hacking can be a little dangerous if you're not careful, but I don't think I've ever seen a case where a user completely could not get his/her phone working again after a standard upgrade to a trusted OS version. Upgrading is a common procedure that even the phone companies recommend from time to time, and the phone comes with the sowftware for doing it. CB comes with even better tools for doing it!

But I digress. Wirelessgal, take advantage of having a backup phone on the way to try the upgrade, and if you don't like the results, send it back and you've lost nothing. Hopefully you'll soon have a phone that performs the way you think it should.
    04-18-09 03:11 PM
    Just to let you know, I got myself an extra Bold yesterday which is a refurb. I've been using it since I got it yesterday and it's working flawlessly on .247 OS.

So how do you decide between your two phones now? Or do you use them both?
    04-18-09 03:13 PM
    So how do you decide between your two phones now? Or do you use them both?
    Don't really decide. I'm just going to use this refurb. The way I see it I still have a warranty until November on the original one and 90 days on this one.

Something goes wrong with this I get another one, and the 90 days is renewed. This can happen for up to a year.

The original one will most likely be excahnged before november anyway since I'm having left side key trouble with it.

04-18-09 03:22 PM
    Don't really decide. I'm just going to use this refurb. The way I see it I still have a warranty until November on the original one and 90 days on this one.

Something goes wrong with this I get another one, and the 90 days is renewed. This can happen for up to a year.

The original one will most likely be excahnged before november anyway since I'm having left side key trouble with it.

Got all the angles covered....

I dropped my phone today for the 5th time - just on hardwood floor, not too bad - and thought about the luxury of having a back-up.
    04-18-09 03:24 PM

I dropped my phone today for the 5th time - just on hardwood floor, not too bad - and thought about the luxury of having a back-up.
    After I dropped my phone last week and had a close call between carpet and tile, I figured since I already pay an extra $10 a month for another line, I might as well take advantage of the refurb deal.

You never know.

04-18-09 03:30 PM
    But I digress. Wirelessgal, take advantage of having a backup phone on the way to try the upgrade, and if you don't like the results, send it back and you've lost nothing. Hopefully you'll soon have a phone that performs the way you think it should.

Yeah hopefully the next refurb doesn't have the build quality issues like the first refurb I got. It wasn't on par with my original Bold so I wasn't going to keep it. It might take over a week before I get the next refurb. So that's enough time for me to test out my original Bold and see if I still get those error messages.
    04-18-09 03:47 PM

That's a smart idea. Definitely use the refurb because of the 90 day warranty and if something goes wrong, you get another one. You're pimpin' with 2 Bold's!
    04-18-09 03:48 PM

The 5th. time?? Are you going for a record??
    04-18-09 03:49 PM
    The 5th. time?? Are you going for a record??
    Yah it's a talent I could live without. I tend to do things quickly, so mayhem can ensue.
    04-18-09 04:39 PM
    Yah it's a talent I could live without. I tend to do things quickly, so mayhem can ensue.

I must say, your Bold is doing great even after the 5th drop.
    04-18-09 05:00 PM
    I must say, your Bold is doing great even after the 5th drop.
    My Bold is a champ. And I love every ding and scratch.
    04-18-09 05:37 PM
    My Bold is a champ. And I love every ding and scratch.

Can you post some pics?
    04-18-09 07:09 PM
    I'm beginning to think that I'm jinxed with Blackberries. First my ordeal with the Curve and now my Bold. I'm still using my original Bold and I didn't call about the refurb because I wanted to see if my Bold would run ok without any apps. Well, I found out this evening that I had 4 new voicemails and none of those calls came through. I had my Bold with me when these calls occured. There was no VM indicator. It was just this evening that I received a VM alert and when I called to check my messages, I was surprised there was 4 new VM's, 2 from yesterday. I called Rogers and asked them if there were any outages in my area and they said no. This has never happened to me before. Has this happened to anyone else?

Rogers is sending me a replacement. But the tech rep. told me if RIM doesn't find anything wrong with my phone, I will be charged for this phone. I never heard that before. I told the rep. to write down that they have to test out my phone for atleast a month to see the issues occur. There's no way I'm going to pay for a defective phone that works whenever it feels like it. This is a nightmare.
    04-22-09 12:51 AM
    I'm beginning to think that I'm jinxed with Blackberries. First my ordeal with the Curve and now my Bold. I'm still using my original Bold and I didn't call about the refurb because I wanted to see if my Bold would run ok without any apps. Well, I found out this evening that I had 4 new voicemails and none of those calls came through. I had my Bold with me when these calls occured. There was no VM indicator. It was just this evening that I received a VM alert and when I called to check my messages, I was surprised there was 4 new VM's, 2 from yesterday. I called Rogers and asked them if there were any outages in my area and they said no. This has never happened to me before. Has this happened to anyone else?

Rogers is sending me a replacement. But the tech rep. told me if RIM doesn't find anything wrong with my phone, I will be charged for this phone. I never heard that before. I told the rep. to write down that they have to test out my phone for atleast a month to see the issues occur. There's no way I'm going to pay for a defective phone that works whenever it feels like it. This is a nightmare.
    did you ever upgrade your device from .162?
    if you choose to stay on .162 with its known issues then i dont know what to tell you
    04-22-09 01:05 AM
    did you recently install anything on your Bold that's getting the white screen? If your answer is yes, and that thing is a theme, I bet that's your real issue...
    04-22-09 01:25 AM
    I hate to hear that you're still having so many problems.

HOWEVER

A full device wipe and upgraded OS really could solve everything I've seen mentioned in this thread. If you're getting so frustrated and are truly worried that the phone is broken anyway, what do you have to lose at this point? The worst thing that could happen is you make a phone that already doesn't work well for you continue not to work well.

There's never to my knowledge been a single CB poster who did a standand OS upgrade and caused any permanent damage. You can get them into all kinds of scary states of not being able to boot or even turn on, and you can STILL force new software onto them. They are extremely well designed in that respect and it always makes me laugh to see people throw the term "bricked" around on here. On most device forums I've ever followed, "bricked" means it never comes back up. And so far, the only thing I've ever read about a user doing to truly brick a BlackBerry wasto improperly use the MFI multiloader software to unbrand.

OS changes are NOT dangerous. They are well documented, there are TONS of potential performance boosts, and your phone isn't working as well as you'd like. It would have been the first thing I tried were I in your shoes, but now that you've tried everyting else, I really don't see how there's much else to recommend.
    04-22-09 01:32 AM
    My latest problem is not the phone shutting off on it's own. Although it's a matter of time that it will happen. The problem that I stated in my last post is calls are not coming through to my Bold. It doesn't happen all the time. But I had 4 new VM's since Monday and yesterday. I don't know if I missed more calls because some people don't leave a message. I thought it was a network issue but Rogers said there were no outages in my area. So I'm baffled as to why some of my call are going straight to VM.
    04-22-09 10:50 AM
    Well, I'm not going to disagree that it sounds like hardware. But I've also seen that same thing happen on my Wife's BB, as she's still using a Curve and there's lousy EDGE coverage in our area. I'll call her when I'm minutes away from our house, and get her VM, then when I arrive I see her phone sitting right next to her, and she'll say it never rang and show me that my call isn't in the call log. She'll have a couple bars of service and everything looks hunky dory. I've called AT&T about this and they tell me there's not been a problem with their service, but all they can really check from their end is that all the towers are up and whether anyone else has called to report a problem.

In my wife's case, her Curve works all over town, but reception is still spotty at our house. It fluctuates enough that even if she sees a few bars one second, I don't trust the carrier to have accurate enough tools to be able to tell her with certainty that she should have had coverage a few seconds earlier. My point is that the symptom you're currently experience COULD be hardware, like you are guessing. But missing an incoming call here and there doesn't mean your hardware is defective for sure, whether Rogers thinks your service was interrupted or not.

When does your replacement refurb arrive? And what would an OS upgrade hurt at this point? I mean, let's say your totally right and upgrading won't help because you're phone is malfunctioning at the hardware level... even if the new OS didn't fix it, it sure couldn't make anything worse. If the phone's broken, look at it as your opportunity to learn about upgrading on a phone that doesn't matter anymore because it's probably going back when you get the replacement. That's not too bad, is it?

04-23-09 12:53 PM
    I get excellent 3G coverage in my area. The only time I lose 3G is if there's a storm or if Rogers is doing something to the network. Having said that, it was 2 days of calls that I missed, not one. Also, the other night my Bold switched from 3G to 2G, meanwhile I have my Motorola v3xx beside it and it was still on 3G. I know Motorola's RF is topnotch so it's probably not even a fair comparison.

You are right. At this point I have nothing to lose by trying to update the f/w to maybe .247. The refurb should arrive either later today or tomorrow so I don't have a lot of time to play around with a new f/w on this Bold.

Thanks for the advice.
    04-23-09 01:10 PM
    At this point I have nothing to lose by trying to update the f/w to maybe .247
    That's all we've been trying to get you to do dear.

Let us know how it goes. I have a refurb coming tomorrow for my originally purchased Bold from November. Had a hardware issue and I expect the refurb to be fine. We'll see how that goes...
    04-23-09 01:38 PM
    That's all we've been trying to get you to do dear.

Let us know how it goes. I have a refurb coming tomorrow for my originally purchased Bold from November. Had a hardware issue and I expect the refurb to be fine. We'll see how that goes...

I know.

I'll keep you guys posted. There was more reasons why I returned the first refurb due to build quality issues, not just the memory leak. I think I fixed the memory leak by reinstalling the OS. But one of the issues was the sim card slot which was on a slant. It was not straight like my Bold. When I put my sim card in it, my sim would move. So there was no way I was going to keep that because the sim card was not snug. That was just one of the flaws, but a big one, IMO.

Keep us posted with your refurb.
    04-23-09 01:44 PM
    I know.

I'll keep you guys posted. There was more reasons why I returned the first refurb due to build quality issues, not just the memory leak. I think I fixed the memory leak by reinstalling the OS. But one of the issues was the sim card slot which was on a slant. It was not straight like my Bold. When I put my sim card in it, my sim would move. So there was no way I was going to keep that because the sim card was not snug. That was just one of the flaws, but a big one, IMO.

Keep us posted with your refurb.
    I sure will.

By the way, the refurb Bold that I got for my other line works pretty good too. The only build issue is that the right side convenience key doesn't have the "click" to it that it should, but it does its job. I used it for a few days and other than that it was working flawlessly. And yes, first thing I did was put .247 on it.
    04-23-09 01:48 PM
    I sure will.

By the way, the refurb Bold that I got for my other line works pretty good too. The only build issue is that the right side convenience key doesn't have the "click" to it that it should, but it does its job. I used it for a few days and other than that it was working flawlessly. And yes, first thing I did was put .247 on it.

The build quality issues the first refurb had were:

1. slanted sim card slot which caused the sim card to move
    2. battery cover comes off to easily
    3. return button kept making a creaking noise
    4. lighting on the return button and hangup button was not as bright as my Bold.
    5. trackball was not as responsive even when I kept playing with it for awhile.

I think those were it. It was enough for me to not keep it. My Bold is flawless when it comes to build quality. I haven't received my other refurb yet. But I'll be checking for these and make sure all buttons are working.

Anything else I should test out in terms of the physical aspect of the phone?
    04-23-09 08:36 PM
    I think you got it covered Dub-G.

04-24-09 12:17 AM
143 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD