I am late gettng to this party - but I for sure don't think you have a memory issue on a phone when the mem drops 10 MB from reboot to general use later on. That's normal.

Also, we know from these forums that all Bolds are not alike - even those with the same OS and apps seem to act differently from each other. Somehow, that's also normal.

Anyway, you are getitng a new refurb, so you'll see how that works. But I wouldn't worry if the memory isn't exactly what it was on your first Bold. So long as you have lots to use and the phone works, all is well.

Let us know how the new phone works out.
    04-17-09 06:51 PM
    whoever is going to check that Bold before they turn it around and send it out again from the refurb location will have an easy job since there is nothing wrong with it
    04-17-09 08:06 PM
    I am late gettng to this party - but I for sure don't think you have a memory issue on a phone when the mem drops 10 MB from reboot to general use later on. That's normal.

Also, we know from these forums that all Bolds are not alike - even those with the same OS and apps seem to act differently from each other. Somehow, that's also normal.

Anyway, you are getitng a new refurb, so you'll see how that works. But I wouldn't worry if the memory isn't exactly what it was on your first Bold. So long as you have lots to use and the phone works, all is well.

Let us know how the new phone works out.

I know not all Bold's are going to be the same and that applies to the memory as well. I was comparing it to mine that had 3rd party apps and still had more memory than the refurb that I turned on while not connect to the network. But the next refurb I get, I'll keep that in mind. I'll keep testing out my current Bold and see if I continue to have the same issues. I deleted all 3rd party apps, so I have a naked Bold.

I'll keep you guys posted.
    04-17-09 11:23 PM
    whoever is going to check that Bold before they turn it around and send it out again from the refurb location will have an easy job since there is nothing wrong with it

I was instructed by Rogers to return the refurb. You are entitled to your own opinion, even though you are wrong.
    04-17-09 11:24 PM
    I was instructed by Rogers to return the refurb. You are entitled to your own opinion, even though you are wrong.
    Nice. I just hope that you get this whole fiasco taken care of soon. I'm so glad that I don't have to deal with Robbers, I mean Rogers...

The memory lead on the refurb means that something piece of software is bad on it and I would have returned that one too.

Chris
    04-18-09 12:08 AM
    you should really consider an OS that rogers isn't pushing to you. As someone stated earlier .247 seems to work very nice.
    04-18-09 12:13 AM
    Nice. I just hope that you get this whole fiasco taken care of soon. I'm so glad that I don't have to deal with Robbers, I mean Rogers...

The memory lead on the refurb means that something piece of software is bad on it and I would have returned that one too.

Chris

Thanks Chris. You've been so helpful to me. I really appreciate it. It's really hard to find people that are willing to go the extra mile to help another person out. You are a true asset to this forum.

Thanks for agreeing! Everywhere I read they always say refurbs are tested to the fullest. If that's the case then there was no reason why I had to reinstall the OS on the refurb they sent me. Even Rogers preferred I send back the refurb first. Although they did ask if my current Bold was still working before I send the refurb back.
    04-18-09 12:19 AM
    you should really consider an OS that rogers isn't pushing to you. As someone stated earlier .247 seems to work very nice.

I know...I know.....I had quite a few apps on my Bold. So there could've been a number of things that were causing the shut downs and the Uncaught exception.java.lang.Nullpointer Exception errors. Currently I do not have any 3rd party apps on my Bold. I'm going to see if I get anymore shut downs and those error messages.
    04-18-09 12:22 AM
    I know...I know.....I had quite a few apps on my Bold. So there could've been a number of things that were causing the shut downs and the Uncaught exception.java.lang.Nullpointer Exception errors. Currently I do not have any 3rd party apps on my Bold. I'm going to see if I get anymore shut downs and those error messages.
    As I've told you before and I'm sure many others have as well, upgrading the OS is a MAJOR performance booster for the Bold. You know how to get in touch with me and I will gladly get on the phone and walk you through the upgrade process if you would like.

Thank you for your kind words too WirelessGal, they are greatly appreciated.

Chris
    04-18-09 12:37 AM
    As I've told you before and I'm sure many others have as well, upgrading the OS is a MAJOR performance booster for the Bold. You know how to get in touch with me and I will gladly get on the phone and walk you through the upgrade process if you would like.

Thank you for your kind words too WirelessGal, they are greatly appreciated.

Chris

I'm still a chicken and I'm being stubborn. LOL But I know upgrading the OS will make a big difference. I will wait for the next refurb and make sure physically everything is ok with it. There were a couple of minor cosmetic flaws with the refurb I sent back. Thanks for the offer. I will take you up on that!

You're most welcome.
    04-18-09 12:57 AM
    I'm still a chicken and I'm being stubborn. LOL But I know upgrading the OS will make a big difference. I will wait for the next refurb and make sure physically everything is ok with it. There were a couple of minor cosmetic flaws with the refurb I sent back. Thanks for the offer. I will take you up on that!

You're most welcome.
    Sounds good. Just let me know.

Chris
    04-18-09 01:15 AM
    I can certainly understand wanting your phone to work the way it should the second you get it from Rogers. The problem is, .162 was a bad OS. No way around it. As long as they send you a phone with that OS on it, it will be a phone that handles memory poorly.

I certainly don't want to sound like I'm being argumentative here, I know you don't want to do something Rogers doesn't recommend, but you said you reloaded the OS on the refurb right? That's the same process, with the same (non)risks as upgrading, only in your case you put the same bad version on it instead of moving to one that's known to have fixed the problems in the one you're using. Since you know that memory leaks are software-related and not hardware, and you know that the only software that the refurb was running was the device software, doesn't it seem like a good strategy to change that and see if your memory problem goes away (like it did for everyone else that left .162)?

Here's my advice if you want to stay as cautious with upgrading as you have been. Wait until you get your second refurb Bold, and as soon as you take it out of the box, have Chris or some others around her walk you through the process of wiping it entirely and put a newer, stable OS on it like .247. That will eliminate the possibility of the OS being a problem.

If that works and you like the results, try it on your original Bold before deciding which one to keep. If you don't like the results, downgrade or send the replacement back again. With a backup phone in the equation, you really don't have anything to lose. This plan also gives you the ability to perform the steps and get comfortable before doing anything to your original device, AND you could find out that a new OS eliminates the problems you were having on the original as well. You could then decide whether to keep it or the replacement.

Best of luck, and let me know if I can assist in any step of the process (though you're in good hands with Chris and having him on the phone might be more comfort than having the rest of us in a forum).
    04-18-09 02:45 AM
    I never said a memory leak was a hardware problem. Do not put words in my mouth. I simply stated that when I got the refurb, I noticed the app. memory was lower than my original Bold. There are NO APPS. in the refurb. It is completely stock, with no emails set up or even BBM at that time. Upon setting up my emails not to long ago, the app. memory dropped from 51mb to
    41mb in a matter of 20 mins. It never went back up. Again there are no 3rd party apps in the refurb. Rogers advised me to return the refurb and they will send out another one.
    I never tried to put words in your mouth. I just re-stated the facts to help clarify in your mind where you should be looking for the problems. We see so many users here who reject hardware on a software issue...

Your memory drop after restart is probably normal as the resident apps start to settle. Maybe the initial uptake was a little quicker than I've noticed here but if it stays around 41 over the rest of the day you're probably seeing designed operation.

However I see you rejected refurb #1 on cosmetics anyway. Fair enough.
    04-18-09 08:01 AM
    Gal, send back the original one first and foremost. If the refurb gives you problems, just call them back and they'll send you another one.
    That sounds like the right thing to do.
    04-18-09 08:42 AM
    Gal I had the same problem with my first bold I had I'm from the uk and my carrier is o2 when I had the 1st bold it was lovlly run like a gem then 5months down the line I had a number of problems so I spoke to o2 bout the problem they sent it off for repair due to software failure is what I was told and it came back with a new os which was 247 and I had the same problem so they sent a refurb out to me and I have that java null problem so I went thought to o2 complaints dept and they sent me a brand new one and touch wood I haven't had a single problem with it I really do hope you get your phone sorted

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-18-09 08:48 AM
    I don't understand everyones hate for refurbs. If you weren't told, you wouldn't know.

They are like new, and repackaged after testing. Send back the broken one, and keep the one that works. If the memory is only a little lower, who cares?

04-18-09 09:34 AM
    I don't understand everyones hate for refurbs. If you weren't told, you wouldn't know.

They are like new, and repackaged after testing. Send back the broken one, and keep the one that works. If the memory is only a little lower, who cares?

I wouldn't say I hated refurbs that's a strong work I just think in my opinion why should you be given a refurb at the prices they charge you for ur tariff plus if you paid for the phone you should have new one in my eyes.

04-18-09 10:05 AM
    I can certainly understand wanting your phone to work the way it should the second you get it from Rogers. The problem is, .162 was a bad OS. No way around it. As long as they send you a phone with that OS on it, it will be a phone that handles memory poorly.

I certainly don't want to sound like I'm being argumentative here, I know you don't want to do something Rogers doesn't recommend, but you said you reloaded the OS on the refurb right? That's the same process, with the same (non)risks as upgrading, only in your case you put the same bad version on it instead of moving to one that's known to have fixed the problems in the one you're using. Since you know that memory leaks are software-related and not hardware, and you know that the only software that the refurb was running was the device software, doesn't it seem like a good strategy to change that and see if your memory problem goes away (like it did for everyone else that left .162)?

Here's my advice if you want to stay as cautious with upgrading as you have been. Wait until you get your second refurb Bold, and as soon as you take it out of the box, have Chris or some others around her walk you through the process of wiping it entirely and put a newer, stable OS on it like .247. That will eliminate the possibility of the OS being a problem.

If that works and you like the results, try it on your original Bold before deciding which one to keep. If you don't like the results, downgrade or send the replacement back again. With a backup phone in the equation, you really don't have anything to lose. This plan also gives you the ability to perform the steps and get comfortable before doing anything to your original device, AND you could find out that a new OS eliminates the problems you were having on the original as well. You could then decide whether to keep it or the replacement.

Best of luck, and let me know if I can assist in any step of the process (though you're in good hands with Chris and having him on the phone might be more comfort than having the rest of us in a forum).

Thanks for the wonderful advice and offering to help me if I need it. The way you put does make sense. Weird thing is that I don't have a memory leak on my original Bold and it's still running on .162. I did at first but reinstalled the old OS and it seems to be fine. Well except for those errors. I haven't seen those errors yet. But I have some time before the next refurb arrives and I should know by then.

Anyway, thanks again for your response.
    04-18-09 11:44 AM
    Gal I had the same problem with my first bold I had I'm from the uk and my carrier is o2 when I had the 1st bold it was lovlly run like a gem then 5months down the line I had a number of problems so I spoke to o2 bout the problem they sent it off for repair due to software failure is what I was told and it came back with a new os which was 247 and I had the same problem so they sent a refurb out to me and I have that java null problem so I went thought to o2 complaints dept and they sent me a brand new one and touch wood I haven't had a single problem with it I really do hope you get your phone sorted

Wow, I had the phone for 5 months and the problems were getting worse. Maybe there's a timeframe of when the Bold's start to have problems or something. LOL. You're very lucky they sent you a brand new one as oppose to a refurb. I hope this one works out for you. Thank you. I'll keep everyone posted.
    04-18-09 11:47 AM

Actually I do know the difference because it's put in a special Rogers refurb box with no protection. If you shake the parcel abit, you can hear the phone and battery moving around. So can you imagine how UPS handles their parcels? Also when I told Rogers about the memory leak, the guy told me to reinstall the OS. I asked him why should I because refurbs have been tested thoroughly. His response was, anything could've happened to the device during the delivery. The box might've been dropped and caused the OS to malfunction. At that point I just wanted to hang up on him because he wasn't helpful at all. Plus, there were cosmetic flaws on the refurb which was more reason to return it.
    04-18-09 11:52 AM
    I never tried to put words in your mouth. I just re-stated the facts to help clarify in your mind where you should be looking for the problems. We see so many users here who reject hardware on a software issue...

Your memory drop after restart is probably normal as the resident apps start to settle. Maybe the initial uptake was a little quicker than I've noticed here but if it stays around 41 over the rest of the day you're probably seeing designed operation.

However I see you rejected refurb #1 on cosmetics anyway. Fair enough.

Yeah I was too caught up in explaining the symptoms that I forgot to mention about the cosmetic flaws. It's something I definitely couldn't live with so that was another reason to return it.

I only turned on the refurb with no sim to see if it actually turned on. The memory was already dropping by then. But anyway, it's sent back so hopefully the next refurb is cosmetically better and I'll install the latest OS.
    04-18-09 11:55 AM
    I have to say that this wasn't my experience on .162 and also Wireless has not had phone issues before this whole episode. My memory held steady at about 32-35MB on .162. When I upgraded to .216, I got about 10 MB more, but I never had issues on .162. For sure, it was nice to free up the memory, but I don't really use it.

I think this is why Wireless is reluctant to upgrade, though your advice is excellent. The phone has always worked fine. And mine always did too - never a problem.
    04-18-09 01:57 PM
    Wow, I had the phone for 5 months and the problems were getting worse. Maybe there's a timeframe of when the Bold's start to have problems or something. LOL. You're very lucky they sent you a brand new one as oppose to a refurb. I hope this one works out for you. Thank you. I'll keep everyone posted.
    Maybe there is a time frame for when they go wrong I was very miffed at why my phone behaved in this sense and when they sent it off for repair it took 3weeks but I must say when they sent the refurb out to me I was happy to have my phone back but when it devoloped more problems I wasnt happy but the way o2 complaints handled the situation very well and decided as I have 2 contracts with them they would give me a brand new one that is work fantastic touch wood lol :-p

04-18-09 02:42 PM
    I have to say that this wasn't my experience on .162 and also Wireless has not had phone issues before this whole episode. My memory held steady at about 32-35MB on .162. When I upgraded to .216, I got about 10 MB more, but I never had issues on .162. For sure, it was nice to free up the memory, but I don't really use it.

I think this is why Wireless is reluctant to upgrade, though your advice is excellent. The phone has always worked fine. And mine always did too - never a problem.

Yeah actually my memory improved on my Bold for some strange reason. That was after doing a handheld wipe and reinstalling the OS .162. It was over a month ago when I did the first reinstall and my app. memory has been steady between 36-38mb with 11 3rd party apps. I deleted all my 3rd party apps and it's been steady at 45mb on .162. So I wasn't complaining about a memory issue on my Bold. It was the other issues as you already know.
    I really don't have any complaints about .162. But if that OS is the cause of the shut downs and the error messages then I will have to upgrade to a newer OS. If one or more of the apps were causing the problems, then that's a different story. The problem is, I don't know which app that was causing the problems because I deleted them all at once. LOL I just downloaded the "iVista 2" theme and my memory is dropping. haha

You know me well KB. Everything was working perfecting fine up until a month ago or so. I'll wait for the refurb and take it from there.
    04-18-09 02:50 PM
    Just to let you know, I got myself an extra Bold yesterday which is a refurb. I've been using it since I got it yesterday and it's working flawlessly on .247 OS.

04-18-09 02:53 PM
143 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD