Hey everyone,

I need some advice. I've been having problems with my Bold for over a month. It started off with random shut downs and a battery pull will start it back up. I reinstalled the OS a week ago. I downloaded BBalerts again and got this error message "Uncaught exception java.lang.NullPointer Exception". I deleted BBalerts thinking that was the problem. I did a battery pull after that. When I tried to browse the web, the clock kept stayed on for awhile and I was able to exit the browser. My Bold was frozen. After a couple of minutes it was ok. I decided to call Rogers and they issued a refurb to me. I received the refurb on Tuesday and noticed there was a memory leak upon turning on the phone. There are no apps or anything on that Bold. I was told to reinstall the OS. So far the app. memory appears to be ok, but my Bold's app. memory remains better with 3 apps still installed. I tested out the refurb for a day and the app. memory was fine, but slightly lower than my Bold. I decided to put the sim back into my Bold to test that out again. When the Bold was trying to boot up, I got the "uncaught exception..." error message again. I did a battery pull and got a white screen that said "app error 202".

What should I do? Return the refurb and ask for another one because it had a memory leak? But it appears to be ok after I reinstalled the OS.

Or

Return my Bold because of the "uncaught exception....error messages" and the white screen "app error 202"?

Sorry for the long message. I really could use some advice right now. I need to decide today on which Bold to keep.

Thanks
    04-17-09 12:25 PM
    Gal, send back the original one first and foremost. If the refurb gives you problems, just call them back and they'll send you another one.
    04-17-09 12:36 PM
    Hmmm bit of a dilemma there wireless..sorry to hear your troubles with your Bold.

So if im understanding the correctly you have 2 Bolds now??...one is a refurb and the other is your original one??. So if you return the refurb, does that mean you keep your old one?? or do you still have to send it back??.

I guess if i was in your shoes id return the refurb and see if you get a better one...but then im not a fan of refurb stuff as theres a reason why its a refurb. If anything id be asking them to send me a new Bold rather than a refurb, thats if you bought your Bold brand new...id also return your Bold for the uncaught exception error messages and ask them to replace it with a new one.

All i can say is good luck and hopefully you will be sorted out with a Bold that works properly.
    04-17-09 12:39 PM
    F29, yeah I was leaning towards that today. Last night I was determined to keep my Bold. But that white screen app error kind of freaked me out.

Thanks for your advice.
    04-17-09 12:39 PM
    Hmmm bit of a dilemma there wireless..sorry to hear your troubles with your Bold.

So if im understanding the correctly you have 2 Bolds now??...one is a refurb and the other is your original one??. So if you return the refurb, does that mean you keep your old one?? or do you still have to send it back??.

I guess if i was in your shoes id return the refurb and see if you get a better one...but then im not a fan of refurb stuff as theres a reason why its a refurb. If anything id be asking them to send me a new Bold rather than a refurb, thats if you bought your Bold brand new...id also return your Bold for the uncaught exception error messages and ask them to replace it with a new one.

All i can say is good luck and hopefully you will be sorted out with a Bold that works properly.

Hey Spawn, I've been enjoying my Bold up until the last few weeks. It's been such an ordeal dealing with Rogers. If I return the refurb, I get to keep my original one. If the problem presists with my original one, I can call in for a replacement. But they will not send out a new one because I'm well past the 30 days. I had my Bold for 5 months now, so regardless it will be another refurb. They will not replace it with a new one no matter what I tell them.

So, what do you think now?
    04-17-09 12:42 PM
    Hey Spawn, I've been enjoying my Bold up until the last few weeks. It's been such an ordeal dealing with Rogers. If I return the refurb, I get to keep my original one. If the problem presists with my original one, I can call in for a replacement. But they will not send out a new one because I'm well past the 30 days. I had my Bold for 5 months now, so regardless it will be another refurb. They will not replace it with a new one no matter what I tell them.

It's a roll of the dice with refurbs gal. But after all you've posted about the original one, send that sucker back.

I'm getting a free refurb today with a new line that I opened with AT&T and I'll let everyone know how it's working out for me. I don't expect any problems, and if I do I'll just get a replacement.
    04-17-09 12:49 PM
    Gal, send back the original one first and foremost. If the refurb gives you problems, just call them back and they'll send you another one.
    I'm with Mike.
    04-17-09 12:56 PM
    Gee I don't understand the fear of refurbed phones.

Yes they did infact at one time have a problem, and they are not immuned to having additional problems . The improtant part to note though, is a refurbed phone is 100% quality inspected since it needs to be test completely to diagnose what was causing the original problem. The quality checks that a refurb goes through are far more extensive that a new phone recieves going through the normal production cycle.

I am a quality engineer in a manufacturing profession. Give me the refurb every time! I know it has been tested and burned-in far more extensively that any new product comming off the assembly line.
    04-17-09 12:59 PM

Yes they did infact at one time have a problem, and they are not immuned to having additional problems . The improtant part to note though, is a refurbed phone is 100% quality inspected since it needs to be test completely to diagnose what was causing the original problem. The quality checks that a refurb goes through are far more extensive that a new phone recieves going through the normal production cycle.

I am a quality engineer in a manufacturing profession. Give me the refurb every time! I know it has been tested and burned-in far more extensively that any new product comming off the assembly line.
    And most of the time they're given new housings and lcd's.
    04-17-09 01:00 PM

Well thats sucks pretty hard...mind u my bro from Canada came over last week and had a Bold with Rogers...his company gave him a free upgrade. Now he mentioned he had to get it replaced as it kept rebooting on him...i think his was a refurb but it looked brand new...hes had his for about 6 mths as well.

Id go with forever29 advice..u might get lucky with a new refurb...fi u dont just keep telling them to replace it till your truly satisfied.
    04-17-09 01:05 PM

Well I guess the refurb they sent me was probably a return from a customer. Like I said, when I received the refurb, it already had a memory leak. I had to reinstall the OS and it appears to be ok right now. But I haven't used it long enough to know if the app. memory will continue to leak.
    04-17-09 01:05 PM
    Well thats sucks pretty hard...mind u my bro from Canada came over last week and had a Bold with Rogers...his company gave him a free upgrade. Now he mentioned he had to get it replaced as it kept rebooting on him...i think his was a refurb but it looked brand new...hes had his for about 6 mths as well.

Id go with forever29 advice..u might get lucky with a new refurb...fi u dont just keep telling them to replace it till your truly satisfied.

Worse comes to worse, if the refurb continues to have the memory leak, I'll just ask for another replacement. It's a pain, but forever29 has a very good point. He's been helping me for awhile now.

Tronyx was very helpful last night. He found out the "uncaught exception" errors has to do with the phonebook. And when I went to one of my contacts and saw the activity log, the error appeared really quickly and went away. Very strange why the phonebook would cause the java.lang error.
    04-17-09 01:11 PM
    Worse comes to worse, if the refurb continues to have the memory leak, I'll just ask for another replacement. It's a pain, but forever29 has a very good point. He's been helping me for awhile now.

Tronyx was very helpful last night. He found out the "uncaught exception" errors has to do with the phonebook. And when I went to one of my contacts and saw the activity log, the error appeared really quickly and went away. Very strange why the phonebook would cause the java.lang error.
    Hmmm interesting as i had that error come up once before...think it had to do with the appworld but when i rebooted the Bold, it was fine and i havent seen that error pop up again.

Just keep an eye on the refurb you have now..if i was in your shoes i wouldnt put any apps on it for a few days and see how much mem it continues to leak if any at all. If it does then you know you have a problem and id get it replaced with another one. If it doesnt leak any mem then its a case of finding out which app is causing the mem leakage.

At the moment im sitting at 35mb free and its been a day and half since i last did a battery pull...im running it as long as i can to see how much longer i can go without a battery pull as i normally have quickpull schedule a batt pull at 4am in the morning. Should be interesting if anything, so far havent had any major slow downs yet.
    04-17-09 01:21 PM
    [QUOTE=wirelessgal;2309026]Worse comes to worse, if the refurb continues to have the memory leak, I'll just ask for another replacement. It's a pain, but forever29 has a very good point. He's been helping me for awhile now.

Tronyx was very helpful last night. He found out the "uncaught exception" errors has to do with the phonebook. And when I went to one of my contacts and saw the activity log, the error appeared really quickly and went away. Very strange why the phonebook would cause the java.lang error. [/QUOTE

what OS are you running on these devices?
    i'm not sold on the fact that a memory leak is a hardware problem ...
    04-17-09 01:26 PM
    [QUOTE=giantfan30;2309154]

Tronyx was very helpful last night. He found out the "uncaught exception" errors has to do with the phonebook. And when I went to one of my contacts and saw the activity log, the error appeared really quickly and went away. Very strange why the phonebook would cause the java.lang error. [/QUOTE

The memory leak is on the refurb I just recieved not on my original Bold. It's running on .162 when it arrived.
    04-17-09 01:30 PM
    [QUOTE=wirelessgal;2309191]

The memory leak is on the refurb I just recieved not on my original Bold. It's running on .162 when it arrived.
    .162 is why you have a memory leak.....more than likely there is nothing wrong with the refurb
    why not upgrade to .247 which pretty much stabilized the OS memory management problem??
    04-17-09 01:46 PM
    [QUOTE=giantfan30;2309318]

.162 is why you have a memory leak.....more than likely there is nothing wrong with the refurb
    why not upgrade to .247 which pretty much stabilized the OS memory management problem??

I'm still using .162 on my original Bold and I don't have any memory leaks. It stays around 46mb throughout the week.

I'm setting up the refurb now and I notice it lags more than my original Bold. The clock shows up many times.
    04-17-09 01:49 PM
    For what it is worth memory leaks have nothing to do with hardware. New or refurbished. It is really funny watching people throw around terms. If there is a memory leak it would be from the software that is loaded on your phone. That has nothing to do with it being refurbished.

A "memory leak" is when a poorly written or designed application mismanages memory allocation either by not reusing memory properly or not freeing memory back to the system for reuse. I don't know how that has anything to do with a refurbished phone.

Also a customer return that is resold is not necessarily a refurbished pone. A refurb is a defective phone that was repaired and test by the factory or repair facility back to factory specification. A customer return that is resold is simply that. Most reputable dealers will not sell a customer return or floor sample stock as a refurb since they know they have not been re-certified to factory specifications.
    04-17-09 01:50 PM
    [QUOTE=wirelessgal;2309348]

I'm still using .162 on my original Bold and I don't have any memory leaks. It stays around 46mb throughout the week.

I'm setting up the refurb now and I notice it lags more than my original Bold. The clock shows up many times.
    ooo k i have nothing good to say about .162 ( i have a rogers bold and dealt with it for a short period) i had a whole host of null javascript errors and so on...anyway send your original back and keep exchanging refurbs till you're satisfied i guess
    04-17-09 01:52 PM
    i'm gonna call it how i see it.... .162 is garbage, all your problems refurb or original bold can be traced to .162..upgrade your phone to .247 i dont get why you would want to keep .162
    in fact i think a simple upgrade would have solved the problems you were having with .null errors on your original Bold
    thats my opinion
    04-17-09 01:58 PM
    A memory leak can NEVER be a hardware issue. Always sloppy programming in the software.

Toss .162, get it onto .247 and run with barebones OS for a few days to prove the basic phone. Then cautiously add one third party app at a time and check for leaks.

Note to OP -
    A memory leak is a persistent and gradual reduction in available memory which is only recovered by rebooting. For resident apps you might have to test over 24 hours. For load-terminate apps put it through multiple load and use, terminate cycles and check after each run.

You can expect the Free Memory to decline slowly (usually about -10 megabytes) over 24 hours following reboot as the resident apps settle and the memory manager "learns". Then it will become more or less stable with a small variation up and down. This is normal behavior and is NOT a memory leak. I can watch my Bold cycling between 39-43 Megs Free over a day or two, and its been doing that for about 1 month now without rebooting.
    04-17-09 02:10 PM
    I never said a memory leak was a hardware problem. Do not put words in my mouth. I simply stated that when I got the refurb, I noticed the app. memory was lower than my original Bold. There are NO APPS. in the refurb. It is completely stock, with no emails set up or even BBM at that time. Upon setting up my emails not to long ago, the app. memory dropped from 51mb to
    41mb in a matter of 20 mins. It never went back up. Again there are no 3rd party apps in the refurb. Rogers advised me to return the refurb and they will send out another one.
    04-17-09 02:33 PM
    i dont know about rogers but with att as soon as my bold has a problem there is a store that all they do is deal with warranty issues, i can get 100 refurbs and they have to keep replacing by law its in contract. but its only for 1 year after that no more. then you have to replace it yourself
    04-17-09 02:38 PM
    There are NO APPS. in the refurb. It is completely stock, with no emails set up or even BBM at that time. Upon setting up my emails not to long ago, the app. memory dropped from 51mb to
    41mb in a matter of 20 mins. It never went back up. Again there are no 3rd party apps in the refurb.
    After setting up your emails, even with no 3rd party apps installed yet, going from 51MB down to 41MB within 20 minutes is pretty normal. I thought .162 would go lower than that.
    04-17-09 02:41 PM
    After setting up your emails, even with no 3rd party apps installed yet, going from 51MB down to 41MB within 20 minutes is pretty normal. I thought .162 would go lower than that.

Sorry. I meant I did a restore so all the email addys have already been set up. I just had to send the service books again. It was initially set up on Tuesday with switching the PIN. I didn't use it long enough to see how much further it will drop. But the clock kept occuring almost everytime I tried to do something. So I asked Rogers which device should I send back and they told me the refurb. They said they will send out another refurb as soon as they receive this one back.
    04-17-09 03:19 PM
143 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD