06-27-09 03:57 PM
45 12
tools
    The keyboard is the best part of the device most definately...I sometimes fear the keyboard will lose its responsiveness over time but I trust rim that it won't.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-26-09 03:14 AM
    I'm curious as to where your phone was made. I've had my bold since november and the only problems I've had were caused by my carelessness, the reason my phone is blacked out now, and the trackball, its way to damn hard to keep it clean in my line of work. A trackpad would make my life so much easier, yay Onyx!

06-26-09 03:18 AM
    Same here.
    But if you (OP) hate it then yeah, just replace it or go get a different phone.
    Jonneh

is that POISON OAK your biting
    06-26-09 03:28 AM
    I'm a little stumped by the comment about the Curve. I've handled many of them and in no way has any of them felt superior in build quality to the Bold. The Bold certainly isn't bulletproof but compared to the Curve, it's an oak.

06-26-09 03:37 AM
    common guys, u mean to say that those batter doors are structurally sound? lets be real here. they are weak. its thin plastic tabs holding the battery door down. but thats just how blackberry wanted to do it.
    on a positive note, the phone drops, it breaks apart easily, instead of cracking or breaking something. its to be expected that they can get loosened.
    i use electric tape. works fine. i cant complain anymore.
    Last edited by trixnrice; 06-26-09 at 04:52 AM.
    06-26-09 04:49 AM
    Yup... Loose battery doors are quite common. I have the same prob too. Just dropped mine n the battery door n battery came out of place. However, overall the bold is still a solid piece of device

06-26-09 05:22 AM
    If one of the problems is the battery door, why not replace the battery door or talk to AT&T about it.
    06-26-09 05:28 AM
    It can be prob though...there had been a few times that my batt cover would just open up and I leave it somewhere; but only twice.

06-26-09 06:12 AM
    If it's such a piece of junk then the one to blame is yourself. I'm sick of people complaining and whining about this or that, and bashing the Bold.

The bottom line is and always will be, if the phone is such a piece of junk then you should've done your homework and bought the right phone for you. It's not RIMs fault that you were too inept or lazy to do the legwork. They built this device exactly how they wanted to and there are more than enough satisfied customers.

06-26-09 06:43 AM
    The back is loose and I have to put a business card over the battery to keep the cover from coming off.
    I did the same thing with a Post-it.
    Yesterday, I was thinking of create this thread.
    Even the top silver plastic is making some noise.
    What about the white trackball, that I had to replace with a black one ?!

If it's such a piece of junk then the one to blame is yourself. I'm sick of people complaining and whining about this or that, and bashing the Bold.
    I don't get it, but damn, some of us have issues with the BOLD, so what ?!
    We are blamin' it, our cellulars, because we were expecting something quite better.

Crazy to see that the author of the thread has to apologize to everybody for posting his thinkings...
    Last edited by chazoul; 06-26-09 at 07:50 AM.
    06-26-09 07:46 AM
    I am extremely anal about my mobile phones...and little glitches, especially those having to do with build quality and construction soundness drive me absolutely bananas!

While I don't have the same extreme issues with the Bold build quality that the OP seems to...I have to say that compared to the vault-like build of competing smartphones like the Nokia E-series lineup, RIM has certainly cheaped-out on build quality with the 8xxx series Curve and 9000 Bold as well. Why can't they and other manufacturers learn from Nokias use of metal for the main parts of the phone housing that fit tightly and securely. Their (Nokias) E-series phones feel like high-end mobile devices and there is none of the hollow looseness that plagues many with the latest BlackBerry offerings. I'm not a Nokia fan, but have been amazed at how well their E-series phones are built.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Bold...but I have also been disappointed by the looseness of the battery cover, how amazingly easy the "chrome" plastic bezel scratches, and the hit-and-miss flushness of the screen on the Bolds I have owned. I know RIM is not a non-profit organization...but if they keep cutting corners in the build quality department, it will be harder for them to command the high price of their product.
    06-26-09 08:17 AM
    RIM had profits of 643 million $ last year due in part to the incredibly high build quality of all their products...it's unfortunate when one of the few poor quality products gets sold to a user incapable of correcting the problem and instead finds it a benefit to human-kind to bash...
    06-26-09 09:49 AM
    I dropped mine onto an aspault parking 3 days after I got it
    The battery door and battery popped off and I
    Put a scuff on the bezel but zero other issues
    For the OP I am sorry for your problems seems like they
    Are atypical (but real none the less)

06-26-09 03:20 PM
    Posting this from my low quality piece of junk that has a swell keyboard and no need for business cards to get the job done.

06-27-09 01:11 AM

The bottom line is and always will be, if the phone is such a piece of junk then you should've done your homework and bought the right phone for you. It's not RIMs fault that you were too inept or lazy to do the legwork. They built this device exactly how they wanted to and there are more than enough satisfied customers.

just wanted to say what this guy said......thumbs up
    06-27-09 02:22 AM
    I don't see how you can compare the build quality to other phones? Some of these comments are typical western thinking - "everything has to absolutely perfect the first time and it has to be the fastest and I want it for free right now!"

Every mobile company is making the best device they know how and still have to keep the cost low enough to compete in the market place. You have absolutely NO idea how much money RIM spent developing other areas of this device in order to make it fall in line with the overall company vision.

Let me ask you this... Can other devices, say the E series Nokias, be hacked like WinMo devices can? Well my Bold cannot. You think it is cheap developing firmware that offers that kind of security? The very security that you are taking for granted.

Until you take the broom out of your *** and realize that nothing on this earth is ever going to exceed all of your impossibly perfect expectations, and finally come to the realization that YOU have to conceed your own standards to be satisfied, then you'll always be a little whiner that gets on everyone's nerves.

But my original point still stands... If you are unhappy with the build quality of your device, then you bought the wrong device.

06-27-09 08:33 AM
    Good grief!!

Yes, it's an entirely common topic that there appears to be a bit of extra room in the Bold's rear cover. Grip it in some way during your dealing with it, and you'll find a bit of flex. Indeed, the common solution given is "stick a business card in there." But not until now have I ever seen someone lift the topic into a "quality" issue.

Crimony!

Talk of "returning" it or getting a "refurb" is utter nonsense! Tell you what -- you can actually BUY replacement back covers -- in all sorts of different colors and textures. Of course, it's just some kind of covering over the exact same piece of plastic -- go buy a dozen of them, and see if any fit any better than the original!! And then comprehend what any "replacement" Bold would be like, "refurb" or not!

Crimony!

Again, there's just some extra space in there. It can cause a bit of a "creak" or a "flex" if you hit it just right. So, fill it up with something! Since batteries create heat, I find the business card trick just a bit too close to the concept of tossing a blanket over a space heater -- I would recommend something just a bit more elegant than that.

I'd recommend a trip to Lowe's or Wal-Mart or your favorite hardware shop, and look in the "little rubber bumper" department. For stuff like this:

Waxman at Lowe's: Oatmeal Felt Pads

These are little felt pads; I'd be looking more for the same king of thing in "clear plastic" form. That's what I did -- I just stuck four little clear plastic bumpers on my battery -- END OF STORY. My Bold is now as solid as a rock.

Moral of the story: Spend a couple of bucks and fix it. Or just keep a business card or two in there, and spend nothing.
    06-27-09 02:56 PM
    The battery door creak can be easily fixed with some electric tape on the inside of the door cover. For mine, the creak/give was on one side.. I placed some tape on the side the creak was in 3 spots and it's gone now. In 1 corner I have 2 pieces on top of each other for a slightly greater thickness.

As for build quality, the build quality is fine.. now the OS quality.. holy crap, talk about bugware. Never again will I buy a BB that hasn't been on the market for at least a year already.
    06-27-09 03:09 PM
    want some cheese to go with your whine?
    06-27-09 03:15 PM
    The battery door creak can be easily fixed with some electric tape on the inside of the door cover. For mine, the creak/give was on one side.. I placed some tape on the side the creak was in 3 spots and it's gone now. In 1 corner I have 2 pieces on top of each other for a slightly greater thickness.

As for build quality, the build quality is fine.. now the OS quality.. holy crap, talk about bugware. Never again will I buy a BB that hasn't been on the market for at least a year already.
    I have to agree with the OS issues. Personally I have not found any bugs that hinder or complicate my mobile activity, but OS issues should be kept minimal by RIM. But that's exactly why the keep developing new versions. I've never been involved with a company that updates it's core systems as much as RIM does. Of course waiting a year for your carrier to approve the new OS is completely idiotic, at least RIM is doing their part.

But if the OS is too buggy, then you simply bought the wrong device.

And if you have tried every device in the known universe and nothing works the way you want it to, then your expectations are too high.

06-27-09 03:57 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD