I want start off stating that I enjoy the Bold as a blackberry device.

The quality of build of the device is low. The back is loose and I have to put a business card over the battery to keep the cover from coming off. This is unacceptable for a $600 phone. I would guess that RIM was in a rush to get this device to market and let the quality in the factory slip to make their production numbers. I am considering going back to a curve. The curve was a much stronger built device and I did not have the issues with a loose battery cover and squeaky keyboard as I do with the bold.

So before you start defending this phone, keep in mind that these are my personal statements. The reason I am posting this thread is to see if others have the same issues or feel the same about the quality of their phone.

I expected more out RIM than this low quality piece of junk.
    06-25-09 08:19 AM
    Mine's rock solid, but if you are unhappy, vote with your wallet.
    06-25-09 08:23 AM
    Seriously, I have two BOLD devices (long story), with no issues like what you're stating here. But, I say yours needs to be changed, stat, while under warranty...
    06-25-09 08:24 AM
    I have a loose batt cover too but it really doesn't bother me...the phone overall I think is of great quality!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-25-09 08:26 AM
    I love my bold..haven't had anyrhing wrong yet..nothing to complain about. Atleast you got your bold cheap mine is over $1000 on a 2 year contract.

06-25-09 08:43 AM
    I can relate to the loose battery cover, but nowhere close to as bad as you make yours sound. Sorry to hear you're having such issues.
    06-25-09 08:45 AM
    My battery cover moves occasionally but it seems like yours is very loose.

06-25-09 08:56 AM
    my back was only loose when i put a new bezel on from cnn.cn, but then i got another one from the same, and it is solid as a rock.
    06-25-09 09:02 AM
    Sorry to hear of your troubles...you should bring your issue to the place of purchase...ATT has a 30 day no questions asked return policy which would be my first step if I were unhappy with my Bold.
    just out of curiosity...if you bought a hamburger and it smelled funny would you post on the BK website or go back to the counter immediately and get the situation straightened out? show your Bold the same respect you would a BK Broiler.
    06-25-09 09:06 AM
    I love my bold..haven't had anyrhing wrong yet..nothing to complain about. Atleast you got your bold cheap mine is over $1000 on a 2 year contract.

at $1000 on a 2 yr contract you BETTER love your bold haha

That's incredulous... $1000!? I bought mine a week after release and I paid 299.99 + 13% tax on a 3 yr with unltd data.
    06-25-09 10:22 AM
    Sorry to hear of your troubles...you should bring your issue to the place of purchase...ATT has a 30 day no questions asked return policy which would be my first step if I were unhappy with my Bold.
    just out of curiosity...if you bought a hamburger and it smelled funny would you post on the BK website or go back to the counter immediately and get the situation straightened out? show your Bold the same respect you would a BK Broiler.
    The issue did not appear for about two months, thus the 30 day return is of no good to me. Turn it in for a warranty repair and get a refurbished unit? No thank you.

At least a BK broiler is worth the money you spend on it.

My comments were directed that I feel the quality of the mechanical build of phone is low.
    06-25-09 10:26 AM
    oooh, someone doesnt sound happy!! it appears you may have got one that slipped under the quality net, i have had mine for over a year, no issues at all.

I find it very solid and quality is pretty good.
    06-25-09 10:43 AM
    I haven't had any problems with mine either, solid as a rock and the best device I've ever owned. Sorry to hear about your probs.

Seriously though, refurb phones are often better due to all the testing they have to go through to be rereleased. Many, many people get them and have less problems than the people with new phones. It's like buying a certified pre-owned car, treated like new, but for a cheaper price and all the kinks worked out.
    06-25-09 10:44 AM
    My opinion of the Bold build quality is that it is very good, for a non-iPhone device. Meaning that the iPhone with it's glass front gives a feel that nothing else matches. The Bold doesn't keep pace with that.

Apart from that one device though the Bold is the highest quality build of my last several devices.

To the original poster, the one weakness is the battery cover. I guess this is the price you pay for a user swappable battery. And why Apple went with a sealed device back cover.

My batter cover has some "push" to it only on one corner. Just a tiny bit.

Otherwise I can squeeze the device in my hand and it feels pretty solid. Great keyboard. Does it feel like a $600 device. Nah. But very little of that $600 represents parts cost.
    06-25-09 10:51 AM
    Order a new battery door. Problem solved. Mine's absolutely rock solid. Absolutely.
    06-25-09 10:53 AM
    I have zero problems, but if I was having those issues, I would be at AT&t's counter saying take it or leave it. I have never had an issue getting a new phone when I have had issues with a device.
    06-25-09 11:06 AM
    If I tap on the battery cover with my finger I can feel/hear a slight looseness, but I actually had to go looking for it to find it. Not even noticable othewise.
    06-25-09 11:08 AM
    I would say there is some "give" when I push on it, but not loose.
    No squeaky keyboard.
    And feels about 100 times more "solid" than my 8320 which I still have fond memories of,
    Even though it felt like a tiny plastic hollow toy by comparison.

Last edited by BastetBB; 06-25-09 at 11:43 AM.
    06-25-09 11:40 AM
    I can relate to the loose battery cover, but nowhere close to as bad as you make yours sound. Sorry to hear you're having such issues.
    Same here.
    But if you (OP) hate it then yeah, just replace it or go get a different phone.
    06-25-09 05:05 PM
    The loose battery door is so easy to fix... Yeah it shouldn't be like that, but:
    1) Not every single battery door has the same issue
    2) It's easy to fix anyways...

All of these phones are plastic.
    06-25-09 05:19 PM
    That's it? A loose battery cover and a conclusion that the phone is a low quality piece of junk?

Sounds like you should switch to another phone.
    06-25-09 07:36 PM
    i just got an insurance replacement phone today and it was brand new with no defects im quite suprised because my last one had a creeky battery door.
    06-25-09 09:58 PM
    Mine is rock solid too, it does have a loose battery door but that is only because I dropped it like 6 times in 1 night and all that happened to it was that the bezel got a little bit scratched and the battery door became a tad loose, nothing else, goes to show just how solid this phone is
    06-25-09 10:01 PM
    My original bold had battery cover problems which I found very annoying. I stopped in at the local att store and they gladly switched it out for me. Bingo! That fixed the problem. Aside from that the phone has been rock solid.

06-26-09 12:13 AM
    Turn it in for a warranty repair and get a refurbished unit?
    Refurbs are (by general account) superior to new in that they receive individual inspection, re-fitting and attention...whereas new phones are batch inspected; one phone is pulled off the production line for inspection and if it passes the whole batch of phones in that run are passed as well. My refurb Bold cost me $99 with a 2 year contract through ATT and after 3 months of 12 hour a day work it is still rock solid. The last BK Broiler I ate is long gone.
    06-26-09 02:05 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD