Hey, I had my bold on my desk yesterday, and when i picked it up it had like 4 paperclips stocked to it. I believe there is a magnetic thing (above the camera spot on the back).

Since theres a magnetic thing, can it harm my phone/credit card/bus pass/other electronic devices if I put all those stuff in the same pocket?
    12-12-09 08:53 PM
    Washington DC Metro fare cards, the paper ones with the magnetic strip, are easily destroyed by cellphones. The plastic SmarTrip cards are not vulnerable, or at least, not so much. I had more than one fare card disabled when I lived there. I never had a problem with SmarTrip cards. So I think there is reason for you to be concerned for your bus pass, if it's paper. I wouldn't worry about credit cards or other devices.
    12-12-09 09:57 PM
    I have not been able to duplicate this issue yet. I would advise keeping your 9700 in a different pocket at the very least. It would be more practical to keep it in a holster. Electronic deivces don't do well with dust and lint in your pocket just as credit cards don't do well with magnets.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-12-09 10:02 PM
    i have had hotel room cards destroyed by all kinds of cell phones
    12-12-09 10:08 PM
    Insanity is trying the same thing repeatedly expecting a different result. Dust and lint are not good for phones. Holster it.
    12-12-09 10:12 PM
    Insanity is trying the same thing repeatedly expecting a different result. Dust and lint are not good for phones. Holster it.
    To the OP, if you still want to carry it in your pocket, you can use one of these if you don't want to use a holster on your belt. http://shop.crackberry.com/blackberry-bold-9700-pocket-pouches.htm
    12-12-09 10:16 PM
    I get new hotel keys allllllllllll the time.
    12-12-09 10:18 PM
    Pouches are a good alternative. Had not thought of that since I have always holstered my phones. No annoying posterior calls.
    12-12-09 10:21 PM
    I found out about the magnet a few days after I got my Bold when I had put it in my pocket for a few minutes one day. There was a hairpin in my pocket and I hadn't realized it. When I pulled my phone out the pin was stuck to it.

If you are that worried about the magnet affecting your cards, don't put the phone in your pocket with them.
    12-12-09 10:44 PM
    the magnet is on the speaker.
    12-13-09 12:32 AM
    I am not worried, I have the curve8900 oem pouch, I also have BSE skin on it. I was just curious about the effects this kind of magnet can do. I've never had a phone that held paperclips before, so i was just wondering if, in general, magnet phones can cause some trouble to other electronic devices. Its not only for a pants pocket, it could be just holding your phone with your wallet in your hands at the same time, or in a bag, etc.
    12-13-09 01:15 AM
    I had the oem pouch for my old 8310 wipe my CAC ID card (common access card) we use it to log into our PCs and laptops. I made the mistake of laying the pouch on top of my wallet and I couldn't log in after that. I had to get a new ID card.

12-13-09 03:12 AM
    Funny, over the past 15 years I never had a cell phone damaged by the dust or lint in my pocket. The only slight annoyance was the dust buildup on the inside screen cover of my old curve. But now with a sealed screen on the bold 9700 there are no worries of that.

Who has actually experienced a cell phone damaged by the dust and/or lint in their pocket? lol

12-13-09 04:45 AM
    I guess that it would be impossible for dust to get in the USB port, the earphone jack or the speakerphone. Granted the risks are extremely minimal but to imply that dust is not harmful to electronics is na�ve. IMO, the pouch or the holster is the way to go.

12-13-09 07:21 AM
    Dust won't harm the electronic components, and the Bold's screen is bonded to its front cover (lens) so dust can't get inside. However, dust and lint can get into a trackball and cause problems. (Any cat owners ever looked inside the mouse on a PC?) even on the trackpad devices there is a mechanical movement for the click.
    12-13-09 07:53 AM
    I go through plenty of hotel room keys myself.

12-13-09 08:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD