I have a good friend that wants to go from cell phone to Bold. He is in medical field so needs a pager. To consolidate into one device, is there a way to use a BB as a pager? Can't be any trick solutions, patients just have to dial the number and he sees their number as on a standard pager. I realize if they were to dial his # his phone would ring, so I guess you might have to put a symbol such as # or such to indicate it was a page. I might be pipedreaming this one, but never hurts to humbly ask the members, always get a good solution. Thanks.
    05-31-09 09:24 AM
    Hmm, any cellphone is a pager...

When you call in to ones VM it asks you if you want to leave a page. When I get pages from my wife it comes in as an SMS, PLEASE CALL 555 555 5555
    05-31-09 09:40 AM
    But wouldn't you have to give all the patients the password to the vm?
    05-31-09 10:00 AM
    Hmm, any cellphone is a pager...

When you call in to ones VM it asks you if you want to leave a page. When I get pages from my wife it comes in as an SMS, PLEASE CALL 555 555 5555
    Never mind the dumb question. You get the request to leave a vm or page when you dial the number, don't need password except to retrieve vm's. Thanks.
    05-31-09 10:11 AM
    You cannot use a cel phone as a pager in a hospital... The pager is autorised cause it's a one way communication... A cel phone will always be two ways... Especially a BB that go by itself on the web for updates...
    05-31-09 10:13 AM
    You cannot use a cel phone as a pager in a hospital... The pager is autorised cause it's a one way communication... A cel phone will always be two ways... Especially a BB that go by itself on the web for updates...
    That isnt true. My aunt is a doctor and she uses her Blackberry as her primary means for patient and hospital communication. We talked about this very topic at Thanksgiving last year.
    05-31-09 10:33 AM
    That's half true, radio waves cause high interference when within the right distance, it could potentially be hazardous to those under those working conditions. Your aunt is probably not near anything where her phone can cause interfernce.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-31-09 12:42 PM
    I use my BB all the time in and around patients. Most older telemetry systems recieved interference from wireless transmitters but as that technology has eveolved and improved this is nolonger a significant problem. Most hostipals keep the No Cell phone because of medical equipment signs up because they don't want 50 family members sitting around in the halls making lots of noise on their cell phones. Older hospitals with older telemetry systems may also still be susceptible but otherwise there is no problem with usings cell phones or BB's around medical equipment.

One other caveat: the BB loud speaker has a magnet in it. Theoretically, if you directly placed the BB on someone's pacemaker or defibrilator, you could trigger or inactivate it. But that is a completely different scenario.
    06-12-09 09:54 AM
    Just like people still think a phone (or some other electronic device) can bring down a plane lol! They now offer wifi on flights, so what does that tell you?

Call the phone, when the vm kicks in hit 5 or whatever is says to leave a numeric message or page and done.
    Last edited by mookish; 06-12-09 at 12:23 PM.
    06-12-09 12:20 PM
    Maybe 15+ years ago when cell phones where analog and not digital it caused problems to medical equipment. I see hunderes of people that work in hospitals daily and i see them all with their 8800 on their belt. Blackberrys are more secure then most people think. Ever since Obama because president RIM has promissed to increase the security of their devices, and they have made quite a bit of progress in the past couple of months.
    06-12-09 12:40 PM
    Just like people still think a phone (or some other electronic device) can bring down a plane lol! They now offer wifi on flights, so what does that tell you?

Call the phone, when the vm kicks in hit 5 or whatever is says to leave a numeric message or page and done.
    was about to say the same thing...

In the military, they still dont allow us to use our cell phones in certain environments, such as "explosive" environments, but yet they have a full blown PC in the same room LMAO

I wanted to say the PC probably produces more of a hazard than my blackberry...but whatever.
    06-12-09 01:45 PM
    When I did clinical hours in the ER for my paramedic class, had my nextel strapped to my hip. But to answer the original question, they could technicaly send a text by calling your voicemail but the phone would still ring before sent to voicemail.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-12-09 02:14 PM
    Every one of our Dr's here use their cellphones as pagers. They will be in the ER, the OR, or in the hospital, etc. and we page them anytime on it. I don't see a problem. And yes, some of them even have blackberries.
    06-12-09 02:20 PM
    Maybe 15+ years ago when cell phones where analog and not digital it caused problems to medical equipment.
    The actual waves are still analog, they are merely processed digitally (squared off).

In the military, they still dont allow us to use our cell phones in certain environments, such as "explosive" environments, but yet they have a full blown PC in the same room LMAO
    The PC may, and likely is TEMPEST shielded, while the cell phone clearly is not (otherwise it would be unable to send or receive radio transmissions).
    06-12-09 04:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD