Well everyone I really screwed up this time. I had a big scratch on my screen and didn't want to replace the whole LCD since they are expensive. I found a replacement lens for the Bold that was only $10 and so purchased one. No instructions came with so I attempted to simply take the old lens off. Bad idea! I thought the lens was just stuck on around the edges but it appears the entire lens is glued directly over the screen which appears to be some sort of rubber like glue. So when I tried carefully to pry off the lens this is what happened. I have a new screen on order; I'll be using my old phone until then.
    04-01-09 03:54 PM
    Seems like a good gamble. You're only out 10 bucks more than you would have. If it worked, you would have saved $70. It was worth the try.
    04-01-09 03:55 PM
    very nice!!!!! Next time buy a 10 dollar screen protector.
    04-01-09 04:01 PM
    I had on a screen protector when it got scratched tyvm.
    04-01-09 04:04 PM
    Never noticed how you can only replace the lens on the bold anyway without replacing the entire screen.
    Last edited by DearFloyd; 04-01-09 at 04:18 PM.
    04-01-09 04:09 PM
    Sweet, it's like a bold on acid...
    04-01-09 04:15 PM
    wow, that's a really sad sight. I'm very sorry for your loss.
    04-01-09 04:34 PM
    Sweet, it's like a bold on acid...
    Is it bad that I thought the same thing when I first saw the pics? Lol.

Chris
    04-01-09 04:46 PM
    Is it bad that I thought the same thing when I first saw the pics? Lol.

Chris
    Throw on an Alice In Wonderland BG and you are good to go...
    04-01-09 04:51 PM
    Throw on an Alice In Wonderland BG and you are good to go...
    Haha, that or Yellow Submarine...

Chris
    04-01-09 04:53 PM
    Well guys I have to say it does look pretty damn cool and trippy, haha. One weird thing; at one point my screen rotated 90 degrees clockwise and then when I scrolled my mouse went back to normal. WTF

Anyway I don't feel so bad knowing I can replace the screen. Only sad part is I won't have my Bold for a few days.
    04-01-09 05:12 PM
    I had on a screen protector when it got scratched tyvm.
    Which one?
    04-01-09 05:52 PM
    BOLD is TIGHT! Gotta protect your neck. ANd your screen
    04-01-09 05:56 PM
    HAAHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAAHAH AHHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHHAHH AAHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAAHAHA HHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHA AHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAH HAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAA HAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHH AHHAAHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAAH AHAHHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHHA HHAAHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAAHA HAHHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHHAH HAAHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAAHAH AHHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHHAHH AAHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAAHAHA HHAH

Sorry. That's hillarious. I love you.
    04-01-09 11:08 PM
    On about the tenth time I took my phone apart I messed up the screen. I ordered one from Horizon but the rep said they got a bad shipment so he credited back my credit card. I've been reading that there are few different kinds of screens for the Bold. 001/004 002/004 and 003/004 I took apart my screen and lens as well to find those numbers listed above but cannot find them anywhere. I did notice a gooey substance between the screen and lens almost like a thin coat of oil. I think I'm just going to take it to dialnet in LA since I don't want to take the chance and get the wrong screen. It's been almost two weeks without my Bold and it's getting to me. I was going to try and return it to AT&T but I don't want a refurbished phone. I wish you luck tag824, keep us posted on if your replacement worked or if it gave you the white screen of death.
    Last edited by Tpony; 04-01-09 at 11:30 PM.
    04-01-09 11:26 PM
    I know my LCD type ends in 002/004 and that's the screen I ordered. It's hard to see the numbers, they are at the bottom of the screen on the back side etched into the metal and are very tiny. I had to hold it up by the light to get a good look.

I ordered my new screen from these guys...

https://www.gounlock.com/browse.php?groupId=180

Other members her reported they were a good seller and the LCD were top quality. They are also fairly less expensive than the other vendors I looked at. I got my screen for $60 + $15 for 2 day delivery, so $80 altogether. Shipping was a bit high but not bad considering others were charging $120 or more for just the LCD.

I should receive the new display by Friday so I'll let you know how it pans out.
    04-02-09 01:51 AM
    There was an article about this, they pryed the lens apart from the LCD and the same thing happened.
    04-02-09 01:56 AM
    Oh that is great, I will check my screen out when I get home. Thank you tag824 for the heads up. If I find the number I will just order it myself and try to figure it out. Woo hoo you just made my day.
    04-02-09 03:53 PM
    This is where to look on the back of your screen for the numbers depending on which type it is.

Good Luck

04-02-09 04:30 PM
    Haha, that or Yellow Submarine...

Chris
    ...or Jimi Hendrix

...or Jerry Garcia

...or Janis Joplin

...or
    04-02-09 06:24 PM
    Tag824 I love you. You seriously are the smartest man I know!! I found the numbers I have 002/004 so I'm going to use the link you posted and by a screen from there as well. I cannot thank you enough for helping me with this.
    I'm soo excited to get my phone working.
    04-02-09 11:37 PM
    Got my screen today, popped it in and viola! No dead pixles and looks awesome!

First couple of pics are of the old cracked screen. I preyed it apart and it had this thin sticky film on it that was gooey and stretch like rubber. As you can see, you cannot remove the lens from the screen without breaking it. The screen also had an oily substance on it as well.

The other pics are obviously my phone with the new screen back to her old glory. Best of all no more ugly scratch.
    04-03-09 03:56 PM
    Congratulations Tag!! That is great news. I ordered my screen this morning so hopefully early next week my phone will be up and running. I'm sure you are very happy being back in action. hehe
    04-03-09 09:02 PM
    Yes, I'm very happy that I was able to fix my phone and use it over the weekend. Good luck with yours.
    04-03-09 09:58 PM
    I was just about to start a new thread when i saw this one.
    For a long time i have used a metal polish designed for chrome-i buy it from an auto store. today i needed to polish a plastic glass for a clock and was too lazy to set up the machine so i thought i would give it a go.................magic!!!!! all the scratches are gone and no clouding.
    I cant tell you alot about the product cos everything is written in russian (i think) but the name on the tube is SONAX CHROME AND ALUPASTE.

i hope this can help someone to avoid a disaster such as this one
    04-03-09 10:24 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD