i've had my bold for 2 weeks now, and am very pleased with the device, its certainly a step up over my curve. The one thing is, the bold is described as the 'flagship' blackberry device, but do you really think this is true, with the much hyped storm around the corner?
    09-26-08 07:04 PM
    Storm is not yet available so the comparison is not valid. Who cares about hype and Marketing Slime?

Flagship? What's that - traditionally the biggest and most powerful ship in the fleet? On that basis I suppose Bold carries the flag, because it is significantly larger and has more crunching power than any of the other models.
    09-26-08 07:37 PM
    I've had a Bold for months and I'm using a 9500 now, and the 9500 is much better than the Bold, IMHO. I'm not a touch person, but they got it right. I would much rather use the 9500 than the Bold. It is the best Blackberry in the pipeline as of now.
    09-26-08 07:40 PM
    I've had a Bold for months and I'm using a 9500 now, and the 9500 is much better than the Bold, IMHO. I'm not a touch person, but they got it right. I would much rather use the 9500 than the Bold. It is the best Blackberry in the pipeline as of now.
    Why is that?
    09-26-08 07:56 PM
    IMHO touch screen technology is more prone to failure than tacticle feedback technology. The bold and storm alike are no mere boys in this smart phone race of men and giants. However as far as GUI, practicality, and simplicity go, apple got it right with toucj tech. That's why I keep my berry and that's why I keep it tactile.

It's another device to add to market share though. And that it will.

PD

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-26-08 08:14 PM
    Crucial - what makes you use the Storm over the Bold? What's it's key points that makes it better over the Bold?

Cheers

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-27-08 05:36 AM
    I dont think touch screens are all that. Its just a different way of using the phone. Whatever your preference is, there is a phone for all. I personally prefer a keyboard. I am now so used to the qwerty keyboard, I don't know how to use a normal phone T9 thing! Plus touch phones aren't made for us ladies with nails!
    09-27-08 05:53 AM
    For one thing: WiFi is a biggie for a lot of people, and from everything we've heard so far, the Storm doesn't have that. The Bold also has a faster processor doesn't it? That's what makes it the "flagship" model.
    09-27-08 08:03 AM
    I don't care for touch screens, hence I never got an iPhone nor will I get a Storm. So yea, the Bold rules IMO. I waited for it, got it and after a month, love it. It does everything I wanted and some. For some people like myself, the Bold got it right.
    09-27-08 08:49 AM
    one thing about touchscreens, loss of screen size when the qwerty pops up.
    09-27-08 01:20 PM
    Each is aimed at a difference market segment.

Bold ==>Exec/business type device
    Kickstart ==> Cheap-ish consumer devices
    Storm ==> Top of the line iPhone competitor consumer device.

Finally, I've used all the devices. I LOVE the storm the most.
    09-27-08 02:10 PM
    It is a matter of personal preference but I have learned the expensive way that I do not like a Touchscreen. I have the 1st gen iPhone and as a phone it is a great web browser. I hate making calls on it as I am constantly hitting buttons with my cheek and disconnecting calls. I have to not move and keep the phone very still or it is a pain. Can't wait for the Bold.
    09-27-08 02:14 PM
    I am not certain that comparing storm to bold makes sense. They are not competing against each other so much as Storm is competing against the iPhone. Those that prefer touch screen devices will be the ones to decide.

The bold is a different device geared for a different group. I hope storm does well, but I fear that the biggest hurdle will be that it is on Verizon's inferior network, but then again I work for at&t so perhaps I am a bit biased.
    09-27-08 04:11 PM
    Crucial & aeldes1; Why, specifically, do you prefer the Storm?

Any device choice comes down to personal preferences, there is no one best device for all. So I'm curious on your personal specifics. Did you find the virtual keyboard significantly different / better than the iphone?

For me, based on the iphone keyboard, which I personally found slower and more frustrating, I decided that I wanted a keyboard. That left the Bold or Javelin. For me the camera & smaller size was more important than 3G & good speakers. So I am planning on Javelin by Christmas; but if the Bold came out with the better camera I would get the Bold.

So, just to confuse my choice, why Storm?
    09-27-08 05:06 PM
    Crucial & aeldes1; Why, specifically, do you prefer the Storm?
    It's just soo much more fun. Yet, a lot of the connivance of the BB OS is there. The Bold kicks *** for typing though.. so if you type a lot I would recommend a Bold.
    09-27-08 05:26 PM
    I was gonna say actually. Since becoming a Blackberry user just a short while ago, the full QWERT keyboard is a Godsend. As much as the storm interests me such, I doubt I could use a touchphone. A solid keypad which you can feel is so much more appealing and practical than pressing something that the OS says is there.

But being a newbie to the whole BB experience, I'm gonna stick with the bold until I run the thing down into the ground lol. No, really, I paid a sizable chunk of money for my new Bold, so I'm gonna get every penny out of it and then some. Perhaps when the Blackberry Earthquake comes out or something, then I'll switch lol.
    09-28-08 03:43 AM
    +1 on the lack of WiFi. Any smartphone without WiFi = loser in my book. Not all of us have access to cell phone signals 24/7 esp. in larger buildings where WiFi connections may abound. The inability to access data in those circumstances is a critical flaw. Bold for me!
    09-28-08 07:36 AM
    Just when I think I've made up my mind to go with a Jav, CX pulls something like this...
    09-28-08 11:31 AM
    Each is aimed at a difference market segment.

Bold ==>Exec/business type device
    Kickstart ==> Cheap-ish consumer devices
    Storm ==> Top of the line iPhone competitor consumer device.
    I have to disagree. Yes this device is aimed at consumers, but it is definitely aimed at corporate users also. Just like the Bold. Just check out VZW's Power Point sheet. They are definitely trying to get corporate users to sign on with this device.

Just when I think I've made up my mind to go with a Jav, CX pulls something like this...
    Well, it's not all like that Greg. I would choose the Jav over the Bold. After using the 9500, I believe I like it better than the Javelin. However, I cannot say that I think the Bold is INFERIOR to the Storm. I don't think that's the correct characterization.
    09-28-08 11:36 AM
    my point of view, both a great devices , i love my bold and i would love to have the storm if and only if it has the wifi, otherwise it s point less for me
    09-28-08 12:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD