04-03-13 12:34 AM
39 12
tools
    Hi Guys,

I've read through the FAQs, I've read through 100s of posts, I've checked out "how to restore a nuked blackberry", I think I've tried everything, but I thought I would post and see if there was any other possible thing I can try.

I got a Bold from Canada and unlocked it for use on AT&T. Everything was good in the world. I've been using it for about a week, and the last couple days I have been connecting my Sony bluetooth headphones and listening to music on the way to work.

Yesterday, near the end of a song, the playback froze. I could still navigate, open the browser, use the media player controls, switch songs, but it would never play the track again. I pulled the battery. When I put the battery back in, it would not start up. No LED, no white screen, just dead.

I tried a couple things and finally got it to show the red flashing light after leaving the battery out for 10 minutes or so. I got it connected and re-installed the OS. Everything was once again good in the world.

This morning, same thing happened with playback, same thing happened when I pulled the battery. This time, I have not been able to get any life out of it. I've tried:

leaving it charging on a wall charger with battery + sim
    leaving it charging on a wall charger with battery and no sim
    plugging it in to the wall with no battery
    plugging it into the wall with no battery and no sim
    plugging it into the wall with no battery then inserting the battery later
    plugging it into the computer's USB with no battery
    plugging it into computer's USB with no battery no sim
    plugging it into the computer with no battery, then inserting the battery
    plugging it into computer with battery and no sim
    plugging it into computer with battery and sim
    leaving it unplugged for an hour with no battery
    leaving it unplugged for an hour with no battery and no sim

The computer, Desktop manager, and App loader all fail to recognize when it is plugged in.

I am really hoping that someone here will have a "one last thing I can try" to get it powered on. Is it worth it to leave the battery out overnight or something, or am I just boned?

I really, really, really don't want to send this back to Canada. If that's my only option, anyone have any experience with Rogers and their return/exchange policy and procedure? How painful will it be and how long will I be without my new baby?

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Erich
    09-17-08 06:24 PM
    where is the mem card through all of this?

have you tried nuking it with javaloader?
    09-17-08 06:57 PM
    No mem card, onboard only.

How could javaloader help if the computer isn't recognizing it (I am assuming there is NO power to the phone)?

-Erich

Edit: I should also mention that before the freeze, the battery was at about 50%.
    Last edited by agent37; 09-17-08 at 07:04 PM. Reason: added more info
    09-17-08 07:00 PM
    The java loader can try and force a connection with the device.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...ckberry-32322/
    How To: ReInstall OS When Computer Won't Recognize The Device Is Connected - PinStack.com Forums

If none of those work, you will need to replace the device.
    09-17-08 07:06 PM
    Cool, will check it out now. Thanks.

-Erich
    09-17-08 07:08 PM
    No-Go:

RIM Wireless Handheld Java Loader
    Copyright 2001-2007 Research In Motion Limited
    Connecting to device...Error: unable to open port

<sigh> - so I suppose I have to call Rogers now, eh? Are they going to give me grief because I'm in the US?

-Erich
    09-17-08 07:16 PM
    Try this.
    1. Uninstall all OS you have. Including the DM
    2. Download the .125 ROM from Rogers web site.
    3. Install the .125 ROM.
    4.When it ask run the loader program. Choose yes.
    5.The follow the manual.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-17-08 07:43 PM
    Issue is that there is no power to the device and the computer doesn't recognize that anything is connected.

-Erich
    09-17-08 07:49 PM
    Give it a try, you may be suprise. If it does not work out. Will not wast you much time..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-17-08 07:53 PM
    OK, giving it a shot - I'll try anything at this point. Thanks.

-e
    09-17-08 07:57 PM
    Nope, didn't work - it does not give USB as an option, only COM1 and COM4. I am assuming since the device has no power.
    09-17-08 08:17 PM
    I've tried:

plugging it into the computer's USB with no battery
    plugging it into computer's USB with no battery no sim
    plugging it into the computer with no battery, then inserting the battery
    plugging it into computer with battery and no sim
    plugging it into computer with battery and sim

Erich
    Here's my important question: did you run these steps while DM was running?

if the answer is yes would you re-do the first step with out DM. to be sure verify DM is not set to start with windows; re-boot your computer.

to be double sure also use a different USB port.
    09-17-08 10:14 PM
    I have tried absolutely everything, can't even get a blip on the LED when plugged into the computer or the wall. I'm afraid it's time to bag it and tag it and send it back to Canada and hope they don't use Canada Post "expedited" to send it back to me because I'd like to get it before November. <sigh>

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Regards,
    Erich
    09-18-08 12:02 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry Erich.

I am sorry to hear your having this problem, but that is why we have a warranty.

Fortunately, I have not had to do a warranty claim with Rogers, but they are committed to customer service and you can be confidant they will back what they sell.

Research in Motion expects infant mortality, they learn from each case.

As for your international address, that does not get them out of their responsibility to you as a customer.
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 09-18-08 at 12:12 AM.
    09-18-08 12:10 AM
    if you can't even get an led to lite up then chances are it's your board... maybe even the usb port...

i'm sure rogers will be more than happy to help you out...
    09-18-08 03:09 AM
    Thanks for all your suggestions and info. I'll call Rogers today... <sniff>

-e
    09-18-08 10:42 AM
    Shame, I hope everything gets sorted for you
    09-18-08 10:54 AM
    So here's the deal, in case anyone is interested.

RIM won't replace it because it's a Rogers device
    Rogers won't replace it because I am not a Rogers customer

So - I think, well, let's become a rogers customer for a month, swap my phone and then cancel.

So I call up.. Plan: $35, no contract. Perfect.

Will they ship a replacement device to a US address? NO, only to Canadian addresses.

So I am officially boned. <sigh>

-e
    09-18-08 07:36 PM
    So here's the deal, in case anyone is interested.

RIM won't replace it because it's a Rogers device
    Rogers won't replace it because I am not a Rogers customer

So - I think, well, let's become a rogers customer for a month, swap my phone and then cancel.

So I call up.. Plan: $35, no contract. Perfect.

Will they ship a replacement device to a US address? NO, only to Canadian addresses.

So I am officially boned. <sigh>

-e
    Hey there,
    i had a similar problem... i tried everything... then i tried the following which worked:
    i charged my battery with a desktop battery charger until it is FULL, put it in the phone... and guess what? THe red light on the top right was ON......

try that....
    09-18-08 07:41 PM
    try sent it to a phone repaire shop or even a computer repair shop. You may break the usb port. Be nice to you Bold. He he! I have that happen with other BB before. If you can get some one who have a Bold charge the bettery up and see.
    09-18-08 07:41 PM
    hi agent... i had exactly the same problem... the thing is it just does not seem to power up. i have even tried with a new battery also.

iv amnaged to arrange for rim to repair it for me via a local repair centre.. the rest i leave to GOD! lol

i hope you have resolved this.
    11-20-08 07:32 AM
    ok so i read and went thru all ur posts.. i have a similar issue since like a month and half i live in pakstan with no blackberry or rim store and i got the bold from uk.. so i took out the batt now it wont start.. i took it to a repair store they said its due to damaged power ic now no one has the ic here can u plz tellme howd u guys get ur fones fixed or where can i buy the power ic or chip from
    02-05-09 09:11 AM
    try connecting to a different computer if you have access to one....
    02-05-09 09:18 AM
    Erich - I have had to return a Bold to Rogers and it was a fast and seamless process. They send me a whole new box plus a courier bag and I took theirs, put mine in the bag, and sent it off.

I did deal with the Rogers blackberry tech support the whole time, not with the customer service reps. I think it made a difference. The tech people know when a berry's not working properly. I have a phone number I always use if you have any difficulty. I don't have it on me right now, but if you think you need it, PM me.
    02-05-09 11:34 AM
    Didn't think about the American address part..... but aside from that, if you bought it from Rogers, doesn't the device have the same warranty as anyone else's?
    02-05-09 11:39 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD