I can only talk about my experience.. apparently there are so many threads on this same forum with people complaining about this load of crap dying within days of purchase ..

I have never heard about any other device just dying out completely with no way to restore them and that too within hours of buying that device.

Blackberries are definitely not quality tested or just have a cheap construction... I wish my company woke up to the fact that iPhones are much superior and reliable communication tools...

The worst thing is that nobody has any damn clue on how to fix a very common problem (very common with bolds as you can see from count of threads on different forums) - this doesn't happen with other electric devices.
    Iphone is superior? One of the most important things about business phones is their security. There is no comparison: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/07/iphone-encryption/

You got a bad apple, it happens. It could simply be a bad battery, have you tried that yet? I would check into that before trying to return the phone outright.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-09 07:35 PM
    Odds are the OS is just screwed up, since the red light comes on at least it's getting power.

Nonetheless, professionals using the iPhone for business don’t seem to care, or know, about the device’s encryption weakness.
    This from that article pretty much summarizes the problem.. People just run with ignorance = iphone is better in all use cases.
    08-03-09 07:37 PM
    Does DM recognize your phone?
    No .. I can't see the phone in window explorer either.
    08-03-09 07:39 PM
    Odds are the OS is just screwed up, since the red light comes on at least it's getting power.

This from that article pretty much summarizes the problem.. People just run with ignorance = iphone is better in all use cases.

There is no red light anymore - no lights whatsoever - completely dead. There was a red light once it prompted to reboot, a constant red light but when I removed the battery, the light went and never came back.
    08-03-09 07:40 PM
    But I will make a helpful post to try and help you sort this out so you can enjoy your new Bold.

Download BBSAK (Search for it in the forums)
    Back up your device using DM
    Download a new OS: Rogers 282 is extremely good.
    Load the new OS on your Computer.
    Run BBSAK. In BBSAK:
    Hit "wipe device"
    Click OK to the prompts.
    Wait for the screen to display ERROR 507
    Once it is displaying ERROR 507, with the phone still connected
    Go back to BBSAK- Hit "Load OS"

Make sure you check off the apps you want on your phone--BBM, Memopad...
    Finish Loading the OS, wait for the phone to reboot.
    Close BBSAK
    Go to DM
    Back Up/Restore
    Restore using the back up you just did.
    Enjoy your Bold.
    Thanks

Now you are helping.

Unfortunately, BBSAK doesn't connect to the device. The computer wouldn't recognize it at all.
    Did you do the above highlighted?
    08-03-09 07:43 PM
    08-03-09 07:44 PM
    If you power it on (after removing and re-inserting the battery) while the wall charger is plugged in is there a light?
    08-03-09 07:53 PM
    If you power it on (after removing and re-inserting the battery) while the wall charger is plugged in is there a light?
    Unfortunately, no.

I think now I have no other option but to return the device to IT department and use the SIM with another phone.
    08-03-09 07:58 PM
    You could always swap batteries if they have another one to make sure it's not the battery (I don't remember, but I don't think the Bold will boot sans battery and strictly off AC).

The problem is, if it's a hardware issue like the charging circuit, that doesn't explain the weird permission errors + prompted reboot (unless that was just a coincidence that the charging circuit died during the reboot).
    08-03-09 08:21 PM
    Did you attempt the "How do I recover a Dead BB?" I think its probably your only hope. You had some tough luck with this phone, if all else fails just get the refurb from your IT department and demand they have it earlier then a few weeks. I went through 5 iPhones myself...so to each his own.
    08-03-09 08:22 PM
    LOL you lost all my respect with that comment. IPhone is a POS. It takes a min even to get a conracts number.

I can only talk about my experience.. apparently there are so many threads on this same forum with people complaining about this load of crap dying within days of purchase ..

I have never heard about any other device just dying out completely with no way to restore them and that too within hours of buying that device.

Blackberries are definitely not quality tested or just have a cheap construction... I wish my company woke up to the fact that iPhones are much superior and reliable communication tools...

The worst thing is that nobody has any damn clue on how to fix a very common problem (very common with bolds as you can see from count of threads on different forums) - this doesn't happen with other electric devices.
    08-03-09 08:46 PM
    LOL you lost all my respect with that comment. IPhone is a POS. It takes a min even to get a conracts number.

You obviously did something wrong that fuked ur bb up.

08-03-09 08:47 PM
    Try plugging your phone to your pc without the battery while DM is running. You should see USB Pin: 0 or something similar. If you can get that much, you have a good chance of recovering your phone.

08-03-09 09:03 PM
    what a wonderful thread....dude get a clue and go get another phone with your sim card...like anyone believes your lame story?
    08-03-09 09:16 PM
    LOL at electric devices. Wtf are you?

08-03-09 11:43 PM
    Just to update.

Called the IT guy in my company and he said that it was so common in Bold that they always had 2-3 issues in any 10 or so phones they gave away and at one point considered replacing blackberries with other phones and then RIM promised to replace all troubled phones within 24 hours. The IT person said that some people had their bold replaced twice or thrice in less than a year.

I sent back my phone to AT&T and have a new phone arriving tomorrow.

Thanks
    08-05-09 05:54 PM
    It's most likely because it is a lot of phone to just give to someone, I highly doubt the Bold would still be in production if, like your IT claims is the case at your company, 20-30% of all Bolds were defective. Or these forums would be swamped with people trying to recover their broken Bolds or AT&T/RIM would not be able to handle all the warranty claims.

At least you will be getting a new one tomorrow... Hopefully it will turn out better, I previously owned an iPhone and it was basically an iPod with a really terrible phone. I love my Bold and hopefully this one will work for you and you will see the light. I still also recommend you follow my directions and upgrade to Rogers 282 ASAP.
    08-05-09 06:19 PM
    2-3 out of 10 is a ridiculously high ratio for full out failure within 24 hours or so....

So high that it's not likely to be true as simply as it's stated by the IT guy.
    08-05-09 07:39 PM
    Lol its not that common, I think your IT is full of crap. I manage ~35 blackberrys and have to send maybe 2--3 back per year (never had one fail within 24 hours either)

08-05-09 09:23 PM
    OP = Troll

Always a few defects in thousands of phones. Giving a Bold to many (disclaimer: not all) clueless, corporate drones is like giving a Ferrari to a man with no arms and legs.
    08-05-09 10:34 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD