I'm seeking a car mount (one i fit myself if possible) for my Bold(s).

The ones i have seen have a silly USB lead you have to plug in because the charging port is on the side of the phone.

Is there not a car mount i can slide the phone into from the right hand side? it does make sense.

What have you guys done for your in-car solution? I would prefer it to be a charging mount, or if not a cheap passive one and then i can customize it!

04-10-09 04:46 AM
    There are some good ones on this site. I've been eyeballing a couple of the cheaper ones to mount in the car. I already built a similar mount for my iPod and have room on the same base for my phone.
    04-10-09 10:12 AM
    I use the "iGrip Universal Fit Vent Mount Dual-Clip Fits Securely in Any Vent"
    got it on this site. I have one in my mercedes and one in my pickup. Simple, easy to use and easy to remove. I do not use a charge when using so I can't address that issue.
    04-10-09 11:24 AM
    ProClip Mounting System - Choose Your Country

huge thread already on this topic. Many have agreed proclipusa is where its at.
    04-10-09 11:31 AM
    I say get this, it works well...

PS: It doesn't charge, but who cares...
    04-10-09 12:01 PM
    I say get this, it works well...

PS: It doesn't charge, but who cares...
    You think they would have wired it to charge. It's already plugged into the lighter, and the phone is mounted where the nodes on the side are in contact with the mount.
    04-10-09 12:04 PM
    I've got my iPod mounted in my lighter. I like the look of the ProClip stuff and I like that the mount is different for every car - the mounts attach to specific areas where there are gaps in the dashboard pieces. It's expensive though.
    04-10-09 12:07 PM
    We have Bracketron's in all our vehicles to mount iPods. These things are bomb proof. The custom mounts are almost like OEM equipment.
    Bracketron : Mounting Solutions for Mobile Electronics
    04-10-09 12:18 PM
    i have proclips in both of my cars (bmw 530xi and saab 9-5). i have the vent mounts; these were winners for me because the mounts hold the blackberries at the highest point without being obtrusive. suction mounts scare me because i KNOW they will fly off the windshield and hit me in the head at the most inopportune time. my bold is running the garmin software and the proclips mount is perfect for it. my wife has a curve and both our berries fit well and securely.
    04-10-09 01:40 PM
    i have proclips in both of my cars (bmw 530xi and saab 9-5). i have the vent mounts; these were winners for me because the mounts hold the blackberries at the highest point without being obtrusive. suction mounts scare me because i KNOW they will fly off the windshield and hit me in the head at the most inopportune time. my bold is running the garmin software and the proclips mount is perfect for it. my wife has a curve and both our berries fit well and securely.
    I would be worried about condensation inside the phone with it mounted on the vent, or the heat doing something to it in the winter.
    04-10-09 01:44 PM
    I would be worried about condensation inside the phone with it mounted on the vent, or the heat doing something to it in the winter.
    This is what I worry about - hot or cold air blowing on my phone and condensation with the AC on.

Also I was wondering if vent mounts are a bit wobbly, as the vents themselves are designed to move. Don't want any rattling in my car.
    04-10-09 01:46 PM
    thanks guys, i already have a brodit proclip fitted in the car for my old HTC mount, i might have to end up buying the brodit mount for the Bold with a silly USB charge lead.

The trouble is, i just know i'll regret it if i dont get one!
    04-10-09 01:46 PM
    thanks guys, i already have a brodit proclip fitted in the car for my old HTC mount, i might have to end up buying the brodit mount for the Bold with a silly USB charge lead.

The trouble is, i just know i'll regret it if i dont get one!
    Someone was making a mount with the OEM pod. If you are handy at all, you could do something similar.
    04-10-09 01:48 PM
    The iGrip cigarette lighter mount works, but it has a few problems:

-The arm is ridiculously stiff, to the point where you can possibly damage the lighter socket if you try bending the arm by only grabbing the mount portion...
    -The mount head is too loose as far as rotation (it rotates too easily)
    -Kinda expensive for what it is...

Other than that, it holds the phone well and generally works
    Last edited by papped; 04-10-09 at 01:59 PM.
    04-10-09 01:50 PM
    Well I just ordered the ProClip, though it's super pricey. I love where it mounts in my car, though. Not on a vent and in a good position for me. So I'm going to try that out.
    04-10-09 02:43 PM
    Someone was making a mount with the OEM pod. If you are handy at all, you could do something similar.
    hello matey.

Any links to the OEM pod for the Bold? I do feel quite brave and i do want a nice neat job, so probably DIY is the way to go for me.
    04-11-09 03:49 PM
    hello matey.

Any links to the OEM pod for the Bold? I do feel quite brave and i do want a nice neat job, so probably DIY is the way to go for me.
    Search at newegg.com, cheapest place.
    04-11-09 06:21 PM
    well i decided to make my own, i have brought the proclip passive mount for it, and intend on using my own usb charging circuit,

Took apart a car ciggy lighter USB charger from an ipod, which provides 500ma and 5vDC to the USB port, i took it apart, moved a small 2A glass fuse into some custom push clips and re-soldered all the wiring. Al i need now is a small black box to push it all into and make a piece of plastic to "port" the LED to the top to make it light up when its powered correctly.
    04-12-09 01:27 PM
    when using vent mount holders, you should shut off the air from that vent to prevent over heating or freezing the phone... personally i dont like the idea of the phone on the vent since it has the tendancy to violently whip off the vent when manuvering hard. driving and getting hit in the forehead w/ something as big and hefty like the Bold is not my idea of a good time...
    07-16-09 03:44 AM
    07-16-09 07:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD