Hey.

So, I just got my Bold a few days ago (I had a Pearl) and I always sleep with my phone under my pillow (yes, LOL).
    But a few days ago I noticed my Bold was burning everytime I take it to check if I have any new message in the morning. The whole phone is burning, even the screen and keyboard.

I used to do this with my Pearl too, and I never had any problem with it. I upgraded my phone just a few days ago and I had the same problem before that.

I know, maybe I shouldn't do this, but it's weird for me since I used to do the same thing with the Pearl and I never had any problem.

Hope you can help me
    07-14-09 04:40 PM
    Hey.

So, I just got my Bold a few days ago (I had a Pearl) and I always sleep with my phone under my pillow (yes, LOL).
    But a few days ago I noticed my Bold was burning everytime I take it to check if I have any new message in the morning. The whole phone is burning, even the screen and keyboard.

I used to do this with my Pearl too, and I never had any problem with it. I upgraded my phone just a few days ago and I had the same problem before that.

I know, maybe I shouldn't do this, but it's weird for me since I used to do the same thing with the Pearl and I never had any problem.

Hope you can help me
    Is it burning after a lot of use? My Bold gets warm after a long call
    or a lot of use. If that's the case its common. What OS are you using?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-09 04:51 PM
    I had the same thing with my new Bold a couple weeks ago. It was a battery issue, and I went in and got a new battery, which solved it. I was told this happens once in a great while.
    07-14-09 04:55 PM
    For me, the back just gets hot if I am on a long call or if I am surfing the net and watching youtube etc...
    07-14-09 05:11 PM
    I have 2 batteries that I constantly interchange.... one battery gets much hotter than the other on long calls.

It's a good thing for me, it's gotten me used to keeping the phone out of my hand and away from my body while on a call.
    07-14-09 05:13 PM
    Hold on - are you saying it's only burning when you take it out from under your pillow? Not all day long as you use it?

If so, doesn't that suggest that the phone generates a little heat that needs to dissipate, and that it's being insulated by the pillow, and so heating up?

I could test this by sticking mine under the pillow for the night. Or you could test it by not sticking it under the pillow for the night.
    07-14-09 05:20 PM
    Stop putting it under your pillow. lol
    07-14-09 06:12 PM
    the lcd on the bold is significantly larger and probably produces more heat than the pearl my suggestion take it from under the pillow
    07-14-09 08:26 PM
    Hold on - are you saying it's only burning when you take it out from under your pillow? Not all day long as you use it?

If so, doesn't that suggest that the phone generates a little heat that needs to dissipate, and that it's being insulated by the pillow, and so heating up?

I could test this by sticking mine under the pillow for the night. Or you could test it by not sticking it under the pillow for the night.
    Thank you all for your answers. And yes, I know I should stop putting it under my pillow but sometimes I need it to wake up in the morning LOL.

Actually, I don't use the phone that much, and when I have to sleep and I put it under my pillow I close every app like Twitter, browser, Qik etc so it shouldn't be burning like that.

I know the pillow could be the problem (lol) but it's still weird for me because I used to do the same with the Pearl and I never had any problem o_O

My OS is 4.6.0.282. Should I take it to the phone company and tell them about this so I can get and try with a new battery/phone? Or should I just stop the pillow thing? lol
    07-14-09 09:43 PM
    If it's ONLY heating up under the pillow, then the pillow's the problem! I know the Bold is not acting like your Pearl, but they're different phones.

I used to put my 7250 under the pillow. But not my Bold.

Seriously - I will put mine under the pillow tonight. I don't use any apps. I'll see what happens. Poor thing.

The great pillow plot begins!
    07-14-09 09:49 PM
    If you can put it under your pillow, why not put it just next to your head instead.

Same proximity, louder sound since it won't be muffled by the pillow.

Or is this too simple?

07-14-09 10:25 PM
    When I used to put my 7250 under my pillow, it was so the message alerts would awaken me and no-one else. I'm a secret messeger.
    07-14-09 10:29 PM
    Haha. The problem is that I have another person in my room and I can't have any sound so the vibration is my "alarm" lol.
    07-14-09 11:05 PM
    Haha. The problem is that I have another person in my room and I can't have any sound so the vibration is my "alarm" lol.
    wow ur a light sleeper. I'd sleep through my alarm if I depended on vibrate to wake my **** up in the morning.

07-14-09 11:24 PM
    I have had the same problem. Sometimes when the phone is charging and it's not fully charged the bold will get uber hot.

But yes, I have noticed when I leave it on the bedlinens the phone burns up.
    07-14-09 11:34 PM
    You need a new pillow.

07-15-09 01:40 AM
    You need a new pillow.

Or an alarm clock.
    07-15-09 10:26 AM
    i had this issue too and i JUST got it resolved yesterday. my bold used to always overheat as it sat in my pants pocket. so i got a new batt from att and my bold no longer overheats!
    07-15-09 11:36 AM
    the bold has a faster processor which equals more general heat. insulating it under a pillow is like turning the fan off in a PC. all the electrons moving really fast generates heat, even if it's just the basic standby functions (that's why gaming computers will have huge heat sinks or liquid cooling lines).

can't you keep your phone next to your pillow, instead of beneath it? or duck tape some sort of holster to the wall right behind your head.
    07-15-09 01:34 PM
    My first bold I had got super hot whenever I made a call, no other time. To the point it actually hurt. So, AT&T replaced it. Now this lcd (never the battery) gets hot during a call, but nothing severe enough to hurt. But, I never put it under my pillow either...
    07-15-09 01:56 PM
    Is it burning after a lot of use? My Bold gets warm after a long call
    or a lot of use. If that's the case its common. What OS are you using?

As soon as I put my Bold on 2g only
    ( I don't really care about 3g speed, cause I'm almost always on wifi)
    mine never got hot again

07-15-09 09:03 PM
    Thank you all for your answers again.

So last night I put my phone on my pillow and it wasn't burning in the morning! lol I guess it was the pillow so I will stop doing that.

Thank you
    07-15-09 09:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD