I am on the verge of switching from my Tour 9630 to the new Bold 9930 that just came out with Sprint. Are there only positives in making this change? Any negatives? Thank you in advance for your comments and assistance.
    08-27-11 10:35 PM
    From what i've read in the forums the only negative would be the Auto Focus camera gone...but so far the pictures i've taken with my 9930 are decent enough...oh and the lack of apps that are compatible with OS7...so if u can live without some of your apps for a little while till they update them then you should definitely go for it and get it man...Bold 9930 is awesome!
    08-27-11 10:53 PM
    From what i've read in the forums the only negative would be the Auto Focus camera gone...but so far the pictures i've taken with my 9930 are decent enough...oh and the lack of apps that are compatible with OS7...so if u can live without some of your apps for a little while till they update them then you should definitely go for it and get it man...Bold 9930 is awesome!
    Unless your apps are from some podunk developer, most of them have already made their apps compatible with OS7.
    I tell customers that if they've ever had any slow downs or lags with their current/old BlackBerries, they'll never have those problems again with OS7 and the Bold 9930.
    08-27-11 11:16 PM
    I am on the verge of switching from my Tour 9630 to the new Bold 9930 that just came out with Sprint. Are there only positives in making this change? Any negatives? Thank you in advance for your comments and assistance.
    Any positives? Yes, it's night and day better, faster, sleeker, touch enabled, etc.

the only neg is they removed the auto-focus, but unless you live to to use the camera, it's not a big issue for the most part. The pics are still good, but in low light, use the flash.

The HD video is amazing, BTW, yet that also has image stabilization ironically.

The pros FAR outeight the cons we can assure you...I had that same phone, BTW.
    08-27-11 11:21 PM
    I would say another negative would be battery life also. Alo of complaints coming from these parts about not being able to get through a whole day.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    08-28-11 12:10 AM
    The camera and battery are the two biggest... The BB 9900 makes VERY bad close up shots. OS updates might help the battery issue but I think camera is more hardware related.
    Last edited by George__; 08-28-11 at 12:17 AM.
    08-28-11 12:14 AM
    I just upgraded from the 9630 Tour to the 9930 Bold. Definitely a good choice. I do miss the camera auto focus on the Tour, but small price to pay for the faster OS. My Tour used to take about 15-20 minutes to boot up, literally. Everyhing is faster on the BOLD.

I was so unsure of what I wanted my upgrade to be, but I made the right choice. It's so nice getting rid of that trackball. Those things are dinosaurs!! Go with the BOLD, you'll be happy you did.
    Bold9930 likes this.
    08-28-11 04:19 AM
    Any positives? Yes, it's night and day better, faster, sleeker, touch enabled, etc.

the only neg is they removed the auto-focus, but unless you live to to use the camera, it's not a big issue for the most part. The pics are still good, but in low light, use the flash.

The HD video is amazing, BTW, yet that also has image stabilization ironically.

The pros FAR outeight the cons we can assure you...I had that same phone, BTW.
    It is not that they removed the AutoFocus, this is just a different type of camera. As long as you're not trying to take real close-up pictures, it is otherwise perfectly acceptable for most picture taking purposes.

OP, I went in and played with a live one in-store. This, as opposed to the Tour, is almost no comparison, it is BlackBerry on steroids, bigger, faster, and mo' better. It isn't the alpha-omega device, but using it just may make you 'cry for happy' after a brief comparison.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-28-11 04:37 AM
    Went from 9630 to 9930. Wow! What a difference. Not only faster because of processor and OS, but faster in selecting with touchpad instead of ball, period! The operation of the device is soooooo much more efficient. Waiting on a few more app updates, wish camera was a little better, but other than that, this phone is awesome..... Battery not as bad for me as others have experienced/claimed. I have Meterberry to monitor usage and doesn't look like it's unusually discharging. I am a moderate user but have easily gotten through the day without charging. Average about 30-50 emails/day, 20-30 texts, 1/2-1 hr of talk, 1/2 hr of web. Wi-fi at home and some times on the road. I have lots of friends with Android that either don't or barely make it through the day so in comparison, I consider myself lucky and or smart, to have chosen the BB. Take it from a former Tour owner, you will love it!
    08-28-11 05:50 AM
    There are no negatives. The 9930 is so much better than the 9630 it's not even close. Do yourself a huge favor and make the switch.
    rstrathman likes this.
    08-28-11 05:54 AM
    I use a 9630 as my work device and well....it definately feels like a 2 year old device when used back to back with my 9900. The only downside like many have said, is the inability to take macro shots due to the lack of auto focus. But this is somewhat offset by the "zero lag" of the edof camera as it doesn't require the second (or more) it takes for the af to gain focus.
    08-28-11 10:54 AM
    ahh yes they did remove the autofocus. its now a fixed focus lens with EDOF which stands for extended depth of field. The tour or bold 9700 have a "physical" lens that actually moves and "focuses" the image like a dslr camera does. the new bold 9900/9930 use a "fixed" non moving lens to "try" and get as much in focus as possible (ie EDOF). It's their way of taking faster pictures imho maybe because they received complaints about the previous auto focus time it takes to snap a shot?

What they should have done is put in the same lens with auto focus as before and then give us another option in the camera menu for "quick shots" which would freeze the lens at its best optimal depth of field for faster snap shots.

its a huge mistake considering that the newer phones ie droid charge shoot a picture so good they rival a point and shoot high quality digital camera.

i will still get a 9930/9900 for my self, but use my IP4 for pictures

It is not that they removed the AutoFocus, this is just a different type of camera. As long as you're not trying to take real close-up pictures, it is otherwise perfectly acceptable for most picture taking purposes.

OP, I went in and played with a live one in-store. This, as opposed to the Tour, is almost no comparison, it is BlackBerry on steroids, bigger, faster, and mo' better. It isn't the alpha-omega device, but using it just may make you 'cry for happy' after a brief comparison.

Last edited by rstrathman; 08-28-11 at 11:21 AM.
    08-28-11 11:10 AM
    Also, coming form the Tour. The battery life is about the same... That's not saying much, because the tour had pretty bad battery life, itself.
    08-28-11 11:24 AM
    Unless your apps are from some podunk developer, most of them have already made their apps compatible with OS7.
    I tell customers that if they've ever had any slow downs or lags with their current/old BlackBerries, they'll never have those problems again with OS7 and the Bold 9930.
    Would you consider Shazam a "Podunk" developer? Or for those in the medical field, ePocrates? Hopefully, they will have OS7 compatible versions soon, but there are currently a number of useful apps that are not available yet for OS7.

That said, I did switch from the 9630 to the 9930 and overall it has been a good experience. The apps and the camera issues are well documented by now and at least in my case, the battery life has improved noticeably after about the first week.

The next generation QNX phones are rumored to be all touchscreen, so if that proves true, this may be the pinnacle of keyboard BB development. Of course, rumor also has it that the iPhone 5 will have a Sprint CDMA version as well as Verizon and the GSM model, so by October, you could have quite a selection of touchscreen or keyboard devices from which to choose. It's anyone's guess how accurate any of these rumors are, but if you are not in a rush to upgrade right now, selection and pricing are probably going to be even better for you in a couple of months.
    08-28-11 11:56 AM
    HUGELY positive.... really surprised you would ask even . I mean the thought of my old tour I had just before getting the 9930 makes me sick... ugh. Smallish keyboard, god awful browsing, ridiculously annoying trackball. phew.

You just have to upgrade to the 9930, without even the tiniest of reluctance.

Oh, and awesome touchscreen (responsive, VERY precise).
    08-28-11 12:48 PM
    I upgraded from my Trusty Tour and I must say that was a Great Choice. The 9930 is by far and away better than the Tour. I'm glad I made the switch. The phone itself is pleasure to use. Without a doubt, best phone I've ever had.

Bold9930 likes this.
    08-28-11 01:51 PM

Yep, I completely agree. I barely use it for anything close up so it's been a non-issue. The phone Rocks!
    08-28-11 02:24 PM
    9700 --> 9930

It rocks, battery life is fine for a FULL SERIOUS use day, unfortunately camera is not an upgrade, several apps are not out or working yet...Dropbox is the only one i really need that is not working yet.
    08-28-11 04:16 PM
    How has no one mentioned the keyboard?? That to me plus the added features mentioned by others is a great reason (and pro) to switch. I can type faster on this compared to the 9700

08-28-11 04:21 PM
    Yea, I've had the Tour myself since it came out and just got my 9930 thursday. The camera still look pretty that a lot of my friends camera who have androids. The only downside to me is they switched the headphone jack and the charging plug to the other side. You may sometime forget the 9900/9930 is touchscreen and may forget to use it sometime. But other than that, its all upside from there. DO LIKE ME AND KEEP THE TOUR IN RESERVE JUST IN CASE.
    08-28-11 05:05 PM
    Switched from tour to 9930 myself

Pro's:
    Battery (better in my experience)
    Speaker phone
    Keyboard
    Speed of device
    Wifi

Con's:
    Great screen resolution, but tour lookes brighter side by side
    Web browsing, trackpad jumps around all over the place and pinch-zooming takes more time imo. Sometimes conflicted between touchscreen browsing and trackpad.
    All side keys are way too flat, difficult to push buttons with gel case on device, compared to tour anyway.
    Speaker on back/bottom of device, not the best spot if you plan on putting the phone down while on speaker calls
    Universal search, not a fan but thats just me.

Don't get me wrong, it's far better but a few things take some getting used to. Go get the 9930, you always have 30 days to try it right?
    08-28-11 06:37 PM
    I too came from a 9630 and I absolutely have no regrets. While I loved my 9630 and there was nothing wrong with it, I really am happy as all heck with the 9930. It is fast, gorgeous, screen is beautiful, feels great in my hand, KEYBOARD!!! There won't be no going back for me, guaranteed. I thought I'd never want to leave my trackball because I became used to it, but the trackpad + touch screen + keyboard all in one device... Its a win win win situation.

Best blackberry ever!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    08-28-11 10:13 PM
    Yea, I've had the Tour myself since it came out and just got my 9930 thursday. The camera still look pretty that a lot of my friends camera who have androids. The only downside to me is they switched the headphone jack and the charging plug to the other side. You may sometime forget the 9900/9930 is touchscreen and may forget to use it sometime. But other than that, its all upside from there. DO LIKE ME AND KEEP THE TOUR IN RESERVE JUST IN CASE.
    Actually, the charge port location was one of the things I absolutely HATED about the Tour. I despised that location so much that I declined to upgrade to the Bold 9650. I waited until they released the Style, and have been much happier. But now, I look forward to the 9930, it was a pure delight to use.

08-28-11 10:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD