So I've applied this update to my 9930. This update is still using BBM6 and since I'm coming from 7.1.0.861 (Bundle 2364) with BL RC15 (with BBM7), some of my contacts have gone missing after the upgrade.

I should have gone hybrid with BL RC16, but now I heard RC17 is in the works and will be released soon. My next update will be with RC17 and I will continue to monitor battery life with this upgrade.
    06-24-13 02:13 PM
    Danny. Pay that dammed ETF and dump those Turkeys and move on. Then get a free or 1 penny Z10 at Amazon.com or at Costco, etc. You will not regret it for a second. Forget the Q, I never thought I would go full touch after several qwerty BlackBerry phones over many years and now I will never go physical keyboard again. Just bite the bullet and get the Z.
    lol! Two months to go!
    06-24-13 03:28 PM
    So I've applied this update to my 9930. This update is still using BBM6 and since I'm coming from 7.1.0.861 (Bundle 2364) with BL RC15 (with BBM7), some of my contacts have gone missing after the upgrade.

I should have gone hybrid with BL RC16, but now I heard RC17 is in the works and will be released soon. My next update will be with RC17 and I will continue to monitor battery life with this upgrade.
    If you had BBM7 installed on your phone, it should've even install BBM6..that goes with any other newer version of BBRY apps currently on your phone.
    06-24-13 03:31 PM
    I too have run into the major problem that after upgrading, my BBM gets hung up on a big blue restore page. I've tried several combinations of uninstall, reinstall, delete and battery pulls. Even various combos of Wi-Fi and cellular network. Nothing works. I'm without BBM now with this update and the direct link to download BBM from my browser doesn't work any more.

This restore window eventually times out, attributing the failure to some kind of BBM server issue that nobody else is experiencing -- except for me apparently.

Help!
    Last edited by vjfratiani; 06-24-13 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Additional info
    06-24-13 03:54 PM
    I too have run into the major problem that after upgrading, my BBM gets hung up on a big blue restore page. I've tried several combinations of uninstall, reinstall, delete and battery pulls. Even various combos of Wi-Fi and cellular network. Nothing works. I'm without BBM now with this update and the direct link to download BBM from my browser doesn't work any more.

This restore window eventually times out, attributing the failure to some kind of BBM server issue that nobody else is experiencing -- except for me apparently.

Help!
    You could try removing/reinstalling BBM via Desktop Manager. It'll most likely be an older version but you should be able to redownload via App World..
    rhafe likes this.
    06-24-13 05:49 PM
    has anyone successfully connected using Skype with this new OS? I have been unable to get skype to connect...it sits on connecting. I uninstalled and re-installed skype, but that did not help.
    06-24-13 08:47 PM
    I installed OS 7.1.0.991 (Bundle 2705) OTA (without first catching myself) rather than waiting and doing it through BB Desktop Software (might have avoided the text message issue noted below since the backup would have been to the attached computer rather than on the device).

In any event, I've noticed the following:

1. Battery seems to drain more quickly, but no rigourous basis yet for so concluding.

2. Clock alarm set screen moved (didn't add, but moved) "OK" and "Cancel" buttons to right side of time.

3. On Switch Applications screen (display of icons for open applications), text "Switch Applications" now appears at top.

4. Some text message threads have been scrambled (single thread to single named recipient with given number now more than one, disjointed, thread, and replies from text to given recipient come back as part of other thread with that recipient), in one case, text to named recipient (my wife) in reply to prior existing thread with her added two additional numbers (not in contacts or phone list--unknown), and other threads are inexplicably empty. This right now is the most annoying thing and needs to be remedied (if anyone can tell me how to extract SMS and MMS text messages from a back-up, rearrange them, and reloan them, that would be nice).

5. Browser seems to close unexpectedly (and give that error message) quite frequently; takes two clicks of reload last page that was open to do so. This is the second most annoying and needs to be remedied.

6. The Wikitude issue already noted in this thread above. Permissions asked for on each reboot. Resolved by just deleting Wikitude.

7. The BB Applications License accept/not accept request reappeared on each restart several times, but that has now gone away.

8. Through the BB Desktop Software (most recent version, 7.1.0.41 (Bundle 42)):

a. the device software version on the main page shows correctly, but when checking installed BB device software from ? > Support Resources on BB Desktop Software, v7.1.0.163 for Platform 5.1.0.137 shows, but the device shows, with About Device Versions, v7.1.0.991 for Platform 5.1.0.678, so something seems wrong there. BTW, this ...163/...137 version of OS 7.1 shows on the BB Desktop Software Device > Update > View other versions list as a downgrade. Not sure yet what's going on.

b. when checking the Applications list, only a short list of installed applications show in the BB Desktop Software list even though there is a much more robust list of installed applications on the device, under Application Management. I recall, though am not sure how long ago, that a very robust list of installed applications showed in the BB Desktop Software and uninstalled applications were offered to be reinstalled.

c. still on the Applications list, BB App World showed on the list in its installed version without offering an update even though on the device showed that one was available (after that was downloaded by the device--v4.3.0.32--and the device was rebooted, the correct version showed on the Applications list).

9. Some new applications--Caller Name ID perhaps (don't know if it was there before and I just never noticed it)--seem to have appeared.

10. Some menus or dialog boxes in addition to Clock Alarm Set seem to have changed, but can't be sure.

That's it for now. Would appreciate any thoughs on any of the foregoing noticed problems (text message thread scambling and frequent browser closing).

Well, one more, possibly even more serious problem with the scrambling of text threads: the dates showing for various threads do not reflect (as they should) the date of the last text message in the thread, e.g., the aforementioned text to wife that was also, for no apparent reason, sent to two additional unknown numbers, now shows no other recipients but, for a last message sent this morning, the thread date is Jan 18, 2013. Curious and not good.
    Last edited by NDeLancie; 06-24-13 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Additional problem just noted.
    limsandy likes this.
    06-24-13 10:17 PM
    I am also having the exact same problem with the text messaging. I can send to my wife, and it also includes her X husband? WTF! Of all people to include. I did the install over the air, and this was the first time I have ever done it that way, and will not be the last. So it seems to be tied to that, so if you are going to install please install from the desktop. It will also go alot quicker.

I also do have the plans update, but I never did install plans in the first place.

One other thing I noticed is after one of the reboots it was stuck at a synchronizing screen which was syncing my GMAIL Contacts and Calendar. (which brings up another question, does this sync really even work anymore?)

Unless somebody has a fix, I think I am just going to wipe and reload.
    06-24-13 10:54 PM
    You could try removing/reinstalling BBM via Desktop Manager. It'll most likely be an older version but you should be able to redownload via App World..
    Thanks!

I finally got my hands on the direct download link for BBM from blackberry.com. It didn't work at first, but about 2 hours later, BBM randomly recovered itself and started working. Makes no sense to me, but I'm not complaining.

Now if I could only get my podcasts to sync again...
    Last edited by vjfratiani; 06-24-13 at 11:31 PM. Reason: add quote
    06-24-13 11:30 PM
    If you had BBM7 installed on your phone, it should've even install BBM6..that goes with any other newer version of BBRY apps currently on your phone.
    I don't understand you, but I did wipe my phone prior to installing this update.
    06-24-13 11:43 PM
    Will do, as soon as the Q has a trackpad, end call button, keyboard shortcuts and charging points to use a charging dock, i.e. NEVER !!!!
    you don't need the trackpad. believe me when i tell you, you get used to that pretty quickly. the on;y time i need the trackpad is when i type and need to go into the middle of the word. their courser navigation is messed up and doesn't work properly imo. it was a pain doing quick word correction.

keyboard shortcuts are already there albeit not all but most.

there is a charging dock for the z10 so it's only a matter of time till the q10 version will be released. and charging noq is done via usb and not charging points. that's old school hun.

And call button...i don't know what you need one for since you can activate a call and the entire call app from any screen you're in. just start dialing a number and it will open for you automatically or keep it open as one of the active frames like i did.

and now with os10.2 headless apps have arrived so all will open for you automatically at phone startup. hopefully.
    06-25-13 01:50 AM
    I too noticed the text on the App Switcher but have not enountered any of the issues you have. I too updated OTA after about 3hrs and. So far the only glitch I ran into was Vlingo didn't initially recognized I had the full version compliments of BB until I opened App World and then it recognized.

Also noticed on the pull down menu for connections the "All off" button has been moved from being on the right side to now the left side.

And lastly looks like BB Maps got a face lift or complete update. There's new icons when launched but doesn't appear new features were added.
    06-25-13 02:32 AM
    Also noticed the Message long-press shortcuts got a reorganization as they now have some commands moved to different location such as the Mark As Read was top right it now appears bottom left. Nice relocation if you ask me.
    06-25-13 06:58 AM
    In my first post in this thread I stated that I did the install OTA and came up with a 502 error, well come to find out, it was not a 502 error, it was a 602 error which is an application error. I was having trouble getting my phone to connect to my computer to figure out what the offending application was so I used BBSAK to wipe and DM to reload. Everything went well and I finally have all my apps loaded and configured as I like, minus one where the developer has abandoned the app much to my chagrin. My problem now is I can't find the password keeper app anywhere on my phone. Is this app still a part of the OS, and if so where might I find it?
    06-25-13 08:38 AM
    Here's the PDF that they have available for Bold users:
    http://support.verizonwireless.com/p...e/bold9930.pdf
    No technical details, but does indicate what changes/enhancements there were.
    janerblue likes this.
    06-25-13 10:54 AM
    In addition, I did the OTA update last night when it popped up and it failed and left my phone coming up with an app error and infinite loop to restart. However, upon plugging it into the computer this morning it finally gave me the option to revert back to previous. Took about 45 minutes to go back and now I am going to install the update through Desktop software instead to avoid the same issue occurring. I'm guessing something was lost in the OTA download and it caused a bad install to occur.
    06-25-13 10:58 AM
    I don't understand you, but I did wipe my phone prior to installing this update.
    No reason to wipe unless you're not restoring your data since when installed, it already does it for you. If you didn't do a manual wipe then Apploader/Desktop Manager would've restored the version of BBM already installed.
    06-25-13 03:17 PM
    In addition, I did the OTA update last night when it popped up and it failed and left my phone coming up with an app error and infinite loop to restart. However, upon plugging it into the computer this morning it finally gave me the option to revert back to previous. Took about 45 minutes to go back and now I am going to install the update through Desktop software instead to avoid the same issue occurring. I'm guessing something was lost in the OTA download and it caused a bad install to occur.
    Never update via OTA, it takes FAR too long & seems to always result in issues..
    06-25-13 03:19 PM
    I have noticed no great difference since installing this OS. I use my phone mostly for calls, texts, and email. Battery life, getting the hour glass occasionally, pretty much the same.
    06-25-13 07:06 PM
    You guys still using this 9930? Grab the Z10 or Q10 bros.

Posted via CB10
    When BB makes true two way sync with Outlook available I'll move. Untill then I can't.
    06-25-13 08:46 PM
    No reason to wipe unless you're not restoring your data since when installed, it already does it for you. If you didn't do a manual wipe then Apploader/Desktop Manager would've restored the version of BBM already installed.
    Oh okay.... I'm gonna wipe my phone again and update with BL hybrid RC17 when it comes out.

So far, my battery consumption is slightly higher than I had experienced with 7.1.0.861 (Bundle 2364) with BL RC15.
    06-25-13 09:19 PM
    My Facebook and twitter apps are far more responsive since the update (this morning). I have had no issues as some others have had. Other than the cosmetic changes already listed by others I haven't noticed anything new.
    06-25-13 10:40 PM
    Anyone having difficulty running Skype Mobile after the update? I can no longer connect. Thought maybe the app got corrupted in the upgrade so went searching for a new download. Can't find a source. Help!
    06-26-13 02:48 AM
    In my first post in this thread I stated that I did the install OTA and came up with a 502 error, well come to find out, it was not a 502 error, it was a 602 error which is an application error. I was having trouble getting my phone to connect to my computer to figure out what the offending application was so I used BBSAK to wipe and DM to reload. Everything went well and I finally have all my apps loaded and configured as I like, minus one where the developer has abandoned the app much to my chagrin. My problem now is I can't find the password keeper app anywhere on my phone. Is this app still a part of the OS, and if so where might I find it?
    I might be mildly slow, but if you were having trouble getting connected to the computer, how did you use BBSAK to wipe? My phone came up with the 602 error on the restore so I'm wondering if I might be able to go this route as well.
    06-26-13 07:10 AM
    I might be mildly slow, but if you were having trouble getting connected to the computer, how did you use BBSAK to wipe? My phone came up with the 602 error on the restore so I'm wondering if I might be able to go this route as well.
    I started BBSAK on the reboot of my phone and it connected.
    06-26-13 07:53 AM
134 12345 ...