I've been struggling with a 2g 8900 for almost 2 years. My contract is officially up in October, but TMO was willing to let me upgrade to a G2 for the 2 year contract price of $249 a few months ago, but I passed. The G2 is a very nice phone. I like it much better than the MyTouch Slide 4G.

Now the G2 has been discontinued, but my neighborhood store has "a bunch of them" on a shelf for $149. The G2 is the only QWERTY Android phone I really like right now. I am hoping that the 9900 comes out soon while there are still a few of those G2s left on the shelf, so I have a choice. (and maybe the G2s will drop in price further, but being happy for 24 months is more important than saving a few $$).

So what to do, what to do? Anybody have any experience with the G2? It seems like a very nice, classy phone and MILES ahead of what I am use to.
    07-30-11 09:30 AM
    Go and give it a try. The worse thing it can do is let you down... Or maybe not? Check out xda developers to get every drop of performance out of it. Good luck!
    BBxpress likes this.
    07-30-11 09:32 AM
    You can definitely give it a try and see how it is. I mean, you can always sell it if you don't end up liking it.
    07-30-11 09:36 AM
    You should give it a try. It is a nice phone. But the 9900 has more power under the hood I believe. The G2 has an 800 mhz processor and the 9900 has a 1.2 ghz processor.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-30-11 09:56 AM
    You're on Crackberry. The answer is obvious, isn't it? Go for the G2

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    marcomendez and grover5 like this.
    07-30-11 09:59 AM
    I had the G2 and did not like it. The hinge is not very sturdy and it collapses easily. Laying in bed and reaching for the phone tto punch out a quick text or email, you cant hold it above you. It is also a chunky device if your not used to it. I would look at the new mytouch slide that has a keyboard. However it is plagued with T-Mobile's version of sense.
    07-30-11 10:07 AM
    I have a G2 sitting in a box somewhere (in fact it is for sale), it has a great keyboard with nice features such as dedicated .com key etc. but lacks so many features I went back to my 9700.

It doesn't even have LED notifications...there is an app for that. It doesn't have auto on/off...no app for that and little things you take for granted on your BB just isn't there. Plus, the battery life is terrible, even with a heavy duty extended battery with light usage, 2G only you won't get 2 days out of it, heavy usage might just get you through the day.

I never did have any trouble with the loose keyboard but I do see how over time it could become a problem.
    07-30-11 11:02 AM
    I have a G2 sitting in a box somewhere (in fact it is for sale), it has a great keyboard with nice features such as dedicated .com key etc. but lacks so many features I went back to my 9700.

It doesn't even have LED notifications...there is an app for that. It doesn't have auto on/off...no app for that and little things you take for granted on your BB just isn't there. Plus, the battery life is terrible, even with a heavy duty extended battery with light usage, 2G only you won't get 2 days out of it, heavy usage might just get you through the day.

I never did have any trouble with the loose keyboard but I do see how over time it could become a problem.
    You have to be blind not see the G2's LED. The trackpad has an LED that illuminates to alert you. Since the G2 runs vanilla Android, your battery life is near equal to the 9700.
    07-30-11 11:06 AM
    I never had awful battery issues with the G2. So i can speak about it. Really, the hinge was my only problem. If you want pure android then go for it. Kept in mind that the G2 is considered dated now.
    07-30-11 11:37 AM
    I currently have the G2 and can't wait to toss it when the Bold comes out. If you decide on getting one, be prepared to have your face mute and hand up your phone calls often.

I say get the Bold--you are on a blackberry forum, btw.
    07-30-11 11:51 AM
    I currently have the G2 and can't wait to toss it when the Bold comes out. If you decide on getting one, be prepared to have your face mute and hand up your phone calls often.

I say get the Bold--you are on a blackberry forum, btw.
    That was the one other thing I had problems with on occasion. Just couldn't remember since its been a while. So yeah, careful with that too.
    07-30-11 11:55 AM
    You have to be blind not see the G2's LED. The trackpad has an LED that illuminates to alert you. Since the G2 runs vanilla Android, your battery life is near equal to the 9700.
    The G2 notification light does nothing only the lights the around the trackpad blinks about once every 7 or 8 seconds and you can't see it in bright light. I installed LED Me Know which actually makes the LED notification light blink but that also has a problem...it won't go off. It will blink all through the night unlike the BB which goes away after about 15 minutes.

And the battery life of the G2 is horrible, it is less than one-third that of the 9700. Plus I can get BlackBerry International email for when I travel (which is quite often) which I can't get on the G2. I can use the 9700 with one hand, again, I can't do that with the G2. For me the 9700 is just more convenient.

I really don't care about games but I do care about productivity and the 9700 just simply works better for me.
    07-30-11 02:03 PM
    But I have been suffering with PAINFULLY slow web page loads, frozen browsers, drop down menus and form submit buttons that just don't work. I know the 8900 (os5) is not BBs best phone, and when I bought it two years ago, all I wanted THEN was a phone that could send and receive email and maybe check a webpage in a pinch. Today, I want multimedia performance at least comparable to iPhone/Droid in a BB form factor.

I am finding that if you use a BB you had better have a web browser that can do all types of java script forms reliably because in most cases there sure as **** ain't gonna be an app developed for os7.

I am interested in hearing from BB users who have owned a G2 or other keyboarded Android phone whether you came back to BB or switched and never looked back. I think that discussing rational reasons to wait for weeks or months for a 9900, lock myself into a 2 year contracts on a device using a stop-gap platform released late by a company that some say is circling the drain, is exactly the right thing to discuss on a BB forum.

I really, really, really want the Bold 9900 to be a game changer. I keep clapping, but Tinkerbell isn't getting any better.
    07-30-11 02:51 PM
    The fact they still have a bunch of G2 units on the shelf and they are selling them for $149 sould tell you something.
    07-30-11 02:56 PM
    I've got the G2 right now, and I'm desperately awaiting a release date for the 9900. Honestly I'd recommend waiting, the likelihood of the G2 being superior to the 9900 is practically nil. Here's my pro/con list for the G2:

PROS

- Large display
    - Good keyboard (IMO not as good as the 9000, but it's up there)
    - Runs stock Android.
    - Solid feel.
    - Angry Birds?

CONS

- Crap memory management. I only run a few apps at a time (Dolphin Browser, Twitter, Facebook, and occasionally Slacker or the stock media player) and I have to constantly run Advanced Task Killer or my memory drops to unusable levels.
    - Crap battery life. About on par with the iPhone 3GS.
    - Screen responsiveness fades as memory declines.
    - Far worse call quality than any BB I have ever put my hands on.
    - Volume rocker is easily hit by accident, very sensitive.
    - Radio is... not as good as any smartphone I have had first or second hand experience with.

I enjoyed mine for about the first month I had it, and then it just started declining. I have had to do battery pulls quite a bit over the past few months. Had the phone for about 8 months. Hope this helps with your decision.
    07-31-11 08:50 AM
    Can't best the BB LED's. I was out yesterday, the sun was shinning bright and it was hot as ****. In the corner of my eye, as clear as day I saw a BB LED flashing on someone's hip. One couldn't miss it. Now that's a notification LED
    07-31-11 09:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD