Burgundy velvet seats......haha!!
    That's crushed velour to you pal. It mops up better after a sloppy saturday night.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-19-11 04:33 PM
    I was in a Verizon store today... I am an AT&T guy, but I needed a hotspot for a specific area where AT&T is weak. They had two 9930's to play with. I ignored the hotspots and spent about 30 minutes with the 'berries. My last Blackberry was a Torch, and before that a 9700; I liked the 9700 much better, so you can probably infer that keyboards are a bigger deal for me than touch screens. I also had a 9000 and a couple of 8800's before.

The keyboard on the 99XX is OUTRAGEOUS! WOW! I am using an Android phone at the moment (after a couple of iPhones--3GS and 4), and I am blown away at the quality and feel of the handset, the perfect spacing of the keys, and the incredible tactile feedback of the keyboard. The touch screen is responsive and beautiful. It is definitely a leap forward in BBOS phones. A couple of years away from Blackberries and I was typing like a pro in a few seconds (had to remember the ALT key). The browser rendered GREAT. It felt very good in the hand. I didn't try a call but I am sure the sound was excellent. Something else I noted was that while the droves of Android phones had 3/4 signals, the 9930 was pulling in (or, at least, showing) a consistent full signal.

Negatives were that the screen is small compared to what I am using (though not small when the on screen keyboard pops up on the Android, which is how it usually is when i use it) and the slow data connection. I was in a Verizon store with full signal and it was super slow compared to my AT&T phone (HDSPA+) (opening the Crackberry website simultaneously), even in a weak signal area. That is a major negative for me since I have a Playbook and want to Bridge it on a fast connection. I sort of wish the OS was QNX, but only if there was a functioning QNX OS--I say that because I was enthralled with the quality of the keyboard, and I understand from reading elsewhere that QNX devices are not going to have keyboards initially (RIM backslides into consumer, rather than business, oriented device configurations... SIGH).

Anyway, I know this is slightly off topic but I see there are alot of 99XX fans so I wanted to throw in my $ .02 in.

Best to you.
    10-19-11 04:48 PM
    That's crushed velour to you pal. It mops up better after a sloppy saturday night.

OMG......hahahaha!
    10-19-11 05:27 PM
    OMG......hahahaha!
    I used to have a 76 Buick Duce & A Quarter full of that stuff, you could crack open one door and lay down flat as a board. HeII, 2 couples could stretch out, the shifter was on the column where it belonged.

10-19-11 06:30 PM
    Well, I did it. Completely on impulse. (really, I shouldn't be left alone near a phone store)
    I got a 9930. And I still have my 9810.
    This is what happened - I had a line on AT&T where I was going to put my iPhone4S. Well, I just walked into the Verizon store, ported my number over, got an unlimited voice with 2 gig data plan, and I'm happy as a pig in mud.
    So when the iPhone is available again (it's sold out everywhere) I can put THAT on my grandfathered unlimited data line since it uses more data than a BB. And I keep my data sipping BB on VZW with the unlimited voice.
    And the phone is freakin' amazing!!!! Ridiculously thin, amazing keyboard.
    Made out like a bandit...15% off the plan and 12% off the data because I work for the feds. WHY didn't I go to Verizon before?!?!?!?
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 10-20-11 at 02:00 AM.
    10-19-11 08:52 PM
  6. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Yeah .. Once you have a Bold 9900 / 9930 in your hands ... you won't put it down! ..

Its awesome!!
    10-19-11 09:00 PM
    Yeah .. Once you have a Bold 9900 / 9930 in your hands ... you won't put it down! ..

Its awesome!!

Sure....rub it in already. If the release date is truly Nov 6th, it will be the longest 2 1/2 weeks of my life.
    DeeNiceJones likes this.
    10-19-11 10:16 PM
    Sure....rub it in already. If the release date is truly Nov 6th, it will be the longest 2 1/2 weeks of my life.
    Dude.... one time I had a girlfriend "late" for 2 1/2 weeks. Now THAT was long! This will be a walk in the park.
    monsky1956 likes this.
    10-19-11 10:20 PM
    The 9900 Blackberry is very nice device it's something that is worth to wait for.
    10-19-11 10:58 PM
    The less time that you spend on Crackberry, the quicker the time will pass.
    joju58 likes this.
    10-19-11 11:32 PM
    The less time that you spend on Crackberry, the quicker the time will pass.
    so true, but it already feels like an eternity has passed since all the other carriers got it, and Nov 6th is close but ugh. I can't help but check CB/this thread like 50,000 times per day.
    DeeNiceJones likes this.
    10-20-11 02:40 AM
    Well, I did it. Completely on impulse. (really, I shouldn't be left alone near a phone store)
    This is what happened - I had a line on AT&T where I was going to put my iPhone4S. Well, I just walked into the Verizon store, ported my number over, got an unlimited voice with 2 gig data plan, and I'm happy as a pig in mud.
    So when the iPhone is available again (it's sold out everywhere) I can put THAT on my grandfathered unlimited data line since it uses more data than a BB. And I keep my data sipping BB on VZW with the unlimited voice.
    Made out like a bandit...15% off the plan and 12% off the data because I work for the feds. WHY didn't I go to Verizon before?!?!?!?
    Good minds think a like! I did the same thing!!!
    YourMobileGuru and ADGrant like this.
    10-20-11 06:28 AM
    Haha I already got my 9900 (rogers unlocked via ebay, sooooo worth it) and I still check this thread a million times a day!

10-20-11 10:09 AM
    Good minds think a like! I did the same thing!!!
    WOW!!!! When did you get it?!? Are you loving it?!?
    Just ordered the Otterbox Defender for it. Don't want even the tiniest ding on this baby!

10-20-11 10:33 AM
    Got my Rogers unlocked off eBay - can't WAIT for the official AT&T release, some apps dont work because they think its a canadian phone and the s/w just seems a bit buggy, when I reboot my phone i lose the last couple hours worth of text messages/IM's. Social feeds app takes about an hour or 2 to get working after rebooting the phone, had to reinstall native apps a few times, things like the podcast app and social feeds and BBM. Had some issues w/ my blackberry ID

now, all this may not happen often, or maybe people are just happy to have the phone and are overlooking it, but me personally, I can't wait for a solid release from AT&T, never had any of these issues w/ a phone direct form them and i'm looking forward to it.
    10-20-11 12:20 PM
    Ok folks I have confirmed that TA did happen on Monday 10/17. Yes normally that would put us two to three weeks to release which would align to the 11/6 chatter that we've been seeing but I don't have confirmation of the official release but would expect it in that window...

PG
    10-20-11 12:26 PM
    Ok folks I have confirmed that TA did happen on Monday 10/17. Yes normally that would put us two to three weeks to release which would align to the 11/6 chatter that we've been seeing but I don't have confirmation of the official release but would expect it in that window...

PG

Thanks PG, Getting closer & closer.
    10-20-11 12:29 PM

PG
    Thank you PG. That made my afternoon even better.
    10-20-11 01:36 PM
    So I know this won't satisfy many of the haters but I will post it anyway. Below are the actual dates that have led us to this point.

LE (Lab Entry) - 8/1/11
    FE (Field Entry) - 8/8/11 (Normally at least 2 weeks between LE and FE)
    XX (initial test report) - 9/6/11 (this is always a four week window and due to NDA won't state what this abbreviation is.)
    FFW (Final Firmware) - 10/3/11 (this is normally a 2 week window from test report but was 4.)
    TA (Technical Acceptance) - 10/17/11 (normally 2 weeks after FFW if all is good.)

The other abbreviations are already known here, the one I did not list is not known here and I already walk a grey line with my NDA with the info I provide folks and won't elaborate on this one.

Now it worth explaining that:
    1) RIM didn't deliver this device for Lab entry until 8/1.
    2) RIM also took four weeks to deliver FFW.

Now like I said at the beginning I know this won't satisfy many of the haters out there but I don't really care. These are the facts and that is the way it is...

PG
    10-20-11 01:58 PM

PG

THAAAAAANK YOU!! It feels like I just won the lottery.. kinda sorta. I just hope the November 6th date holds true. Can you continue to post updates as they come in? Any idea on when AT&T will officially announce the 9900 release?
    10-20-11 02:09 PM
    i know the feeling!
    10-20-11 02:16 PM
    So I know this won't satisfy many of the haters but I will post it anyway. Below are the actual dates that have led us to this point.

LE (Lab Entry) - 8/1/11
    XX (initial test report) - 9/6/11 (this is always a four week window and due to NDA won't state what this abbreviation is.)
    FFW (Final Firmware) - 10/3/11 (this is normally a 2 week window from test report but was 4.)
    TA (Technical Acceptance) - 10/17/11 (normally 2 weeks after FFW if all is good.)

The other abbreviations are already known here, the one I did not list is not known here and I already walk a grey line with my NDA with the info I provide folks and won't elaborate on this one.

Now like I said at the beginning I know this won't satisfy many of the haters out there but I don't really care. These are the facts and that is the way it is...

PG
    Appreciate the info, PG. Please post any info on release as soon as you hear something.
    10-20-11 03:17 PM
    Appreciate the info, PG. Please post any info on release as soon as you hear something.
    You Rock PG. Thanks for the info.
    10-20-11 03:29 PM
    Very nice.
    All I need is for AT&T to give me a surprise and announce the phone will be available starting tomorrow!!!
    Dreams
    Dreams
    Dreams

10-20-11 04:26 PM

LE (Lab Entry) - 8/1/11

PG
    You've got nothing to explain. You're a class act.
    The haters don't matter.
    My decision to go to VZW had nothing to do with the AT&T schedule. Always have appreciated all the info you've been able to give.
    10-20-11 05:11 PM
1,957 ... 3435363738 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD