Crucial, do you know the status of "Technical Acceptance" regarding the 9860?
    10-11-11 08:10 AM
    Crucial... just curious as to how long it generally takes to get through the TA process? And once the device has received technical acceptance, how long does it take to get the phones ready for distribution? Are we still looking at a mid/end of November release?
    10-11-11 09:15 AM
    Amazing how at&t will have the iPhone 4S ready and certified this week, I mean it was just announced last week!! 9900 was announced in May for Christ's sake.

Plain and simple at&t is screwing RIM over (again) to keep all positive light on Apple. I hope someday RIM can return the favour to the carriers that screwed them over.
    Or... While Apple is sandbagging, RIM is struggling to patch their bizarre OS until the QNX savior raptures it. Just throwin that out there...
    10-11-11 10:09 AM
    Stop trolling and get back on topic.
    10-11-11 10:15 AM
    Amazing how at&t will have the iPhone 4S ready and certified this week, I mean it was just announced last week!! 9900 was announced in May for Christ's sake.

Plain and simple at&t is screwing RIM over (again) to keep all positive light on Apple. I hope someday RIM can return the favour to the carriers that screwed them over.
    RIM is screwing themselves over. Apple doesn't announce stuff it can't ship. RIM seems to be taking a page out of the Palm/HP WebOs playbook.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by ADGrant; 10-11-11 at 04:39 PM.
    10-11-11 10:26 AM
    CX

Please don't take my comments personally. We're having constructive conversation. Thats it! I understand you have Forum Moderator status and have been very much a regular around here. I would also like to think someone of your CB status would post comments about hardware revisions to fix bricking phones if they had proof that such a hardware revision was required and in the works. Am I correct in that you are speculating as well?

My thinking is that if a hardware revision was really necessary to 'fix" issues, why would Vodaphone continue to release the 9900 in more countries and why would Orange UK release it, all in the last few days. Wouldn't RIM want to hold back for this supposed revision to ship? Why continue to ship "faulty" hardware. It doesn't make sense to me.

If AT&T really (and very surprisingly) held off due to the 9900 failing their internal testing, why would .440 be the fix they need for the 9900? For the Torch, .261 seemed to be OK for AT&T to release and since the hardware of these two phones is very similar except for PCB layout, LCD and housing, I wonder how this all makes sense.

Finally, regarding the 99xx bricking thread(s) on CB, maybe there is a race condition in the older OS versions that causes the reboot loops. I also think some of this is caused by rogue 3rd party apps. I had a bad experience after installing WiFi Manager. Also one user pointed out he used his 1.8A Playbook charger to charge his 9930. Probably not a good idea even if RIM included protection from overcharging/overcurrent.

Last, I will give you props for pointing out Verizons lovely Storm 1 product. Yeah, they missed the mark on that one.

My 2 cents.
    From what I understand AT&T already had one HW revision on the 9900 (and 9860) from RIM and *almost* needed another one. But the .440 had many changes to the UMTS files that seemed to have fixed the issues.

Remember, AT&T is one complex, pieced together network. During testing, east coast testers could experience issues that those on the west coast would not...and vice versa. It can take a lot to fit a device to a network that's pieced together from past acquisitions and such.

Keep in mind that I'm sure CX can only go "so far" in what he can share with everyone given his relationship with RIM etc... Same goes for PG who is a tester for AT&T... They share what they can
    10-11-11 10:53 AM
    I don't think that At&t is screwing RIM, there are things we don't know and those things should be fixed before releasing a device to the market.
    10-11-11 11:02 AM
  8. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Soon! ... Bold 9900 is awesome!
    10-11-11 11:22 AM
    To hear CX saying that ATt is doing something with 9900 is very encouraging. I don't care if its HW changes or OS or whatever. This just gives me hope that I will be able to have the 9900 when ever it comes out (hopefully sooner rather than later)

10-11-11 11:36 AM
    CX

Please don't take my comments personally. We're having constructive conversation. Thats it! I understand you have Forum Moderator status and have been very much a regular around here. I would also like to think someone of your CB status would post comments about hardware revisions to fix bricking phones if they had proof that such a hardware revision was required and in the works. Am I correct in that you are speculating as well?

My thinking is that if a hardware revision was really necessary to 'fix" issues, why would Vodaphone continue to release the 9900 in more countries and why would Orange UK release it, all in the last few days. Wouldn't RIM want to hold back for this supposed revision to ship? Why continue to ship "faulty" hardware. It doesn't make sense to me.

If AT&T really (and very surprisingly) held off due to the 9900 failing their internal testing, why would .440 be the fix they need for the 9900? For the Torch, .261 seemed to be OK for AT&T to release and since the hardware of these two phones is very similar except for PCB layout, LCD and housing, I wonder how this all makes sense.

Finally, regarding the 99xx bricking thread(s) on CB, maybe there is a race condition in the older OS versions that causes the reboot loops. I also think some of this is caused by rogue 3rd party apps. I had a bad experience after installing WiFi Manager. Also one user pointed out he used his 1.8A Playbook charger to charge his 9930. Probably not a good idea even if RIM included protection from overcharging/overcurrent.

Last, I will give you props for pointing out Verizons lovely Storm 1 product. Yeah, they missed the mark on that one.

My 2 cents.
    No the HW revision isn't speculation. It's truth. Mainly due to the complexity of the AT&T network. But as I said, the 9900 has problems. There are many threads on CB about those problems. One biggie is the device bricking itself. In many instances the software can be reloaded, and many it can't and the device must be replaced.
    The bottom line is the 9900 wasn't ready, it doesn't matter what other carriers released it. Anywho it's almost ready on AT&T.

Crucial, do you know the status of "Technical Acceptance" regarding the 9860?
    It's right around corner too. FFW 440 was received on the same day for both devices. Both are doing well on said firmware and TA should be soon.
    10-11-11 11:51 AM
    CX..... I appreciate your insight and feedback. If you get time, can you review the questions I posted to you earlier today?
    10-11-11 02:40 PM
    No the HW revision isn't speculation. It's truth. Mainly due to the complexity of the AT&T network. But as I said, the 9900 has problems. There are many threads on CB about those problems. One biggie is the device bricking itself. In many instances the software can be reloaded, and many it can't and the device must be replaced.
    The bottom line is the 9900 wasn't ready, it doesn't matter what other carriers released it. Anywho it's almost ready on AT&T.

It's right around corner too. FFW 440 was received on the same day for both devices. Both are doing well on said firmware and TA should be soon.
    CX

The 9810 is basically the same hardware design as the 9900. How was this device OK for AT&T to ship on release day but the 9900 failed?

If there were issues with AT&T's network compatibility, this could be fixed in RF baseband code, microcode/firmware upgrades to the RF semi and/or CPU. Any of these can be embedded in an OS upgrade. Maybe .440 contained the necessary upgrade? Even if it did, I still question how the 9810 could have been released with such a showstopper.

Or, do you have confirmation, from what is hopefully a reliable and knowledgeable source, that a PCB layout and/or component change was required to fix the "issue"?

BTW, the reboot loop (bricking) issue you brought up has been discussed but I don't see this being a large number of users. I've also checked other web forums, including RIM's forums and I'm just not seeing an onslaught of complaints. Actually, I see very few and I find myself digging through forums to find bricking complaints.

Issues with the 9900? Sure it has issues, but what new phone doesn't have issues. In my case the TMo .250 software caused my handset mic to make me sound distorted to people on the other end of the call. The problem was so bad that 75%+ of the people I spoke with complained about the way I sounded even when I didn't ask for their opinion. BT worked perfectly and the handset mic worked OK when there was zero background noise. It seemed like the phone was defective. I got a replacement phone and it exhibited the exact same result. Upgrading both to .440 resolved the problem for both phones. I then stopped by a TMo store and the MGR had a 9900. I asked her is anyone complained about call clarity and she said "a few". I then made a call with her phone and my friend said we both sounded horrible when there were people talking in the background. I told her to upgrade to .440!

Anyway, all new phones especially Berry's have problems. Most will get worked out in due time, others we will live with until our next upgrade and new set of problems/bugs.
    Last edited by claykin; 10-11-11 at 05:04 PM.
    10-11-11 04:51 PM
    This is one of the reason why I keep saying that RIM needs to stop trying to come up with new phone designs and keep the originals and just improve them.
    Keep the 9900 and put QNX on it, but keep the keyboard and all that makes RIM RIM.
    Then work on the torch which is basically the best of both worlds and no other company is trying to do it.
    Keep the curve for those who need the low cost.
    Essentially do what apple does. They only have one phone and just improve on it. The iphone is by far the best that the phone wolrd has to offer. Its not for everyone but the truth is nobody does it like apple.

10-11-11 06:06 PM
    This is one of the reason why I keep saying that RIM needs to stop trying to come up with new phone designs and keep the originals and just improve them.
    Keep the 9900 and put QNX on it, but keep the keyboard and all that makes RIM RIM.
    Then work on the torch which is basically the best of both worlds and no other company is trying to do it.
    Keep the curve for those who need the low cost.
    What makes you think that they don't plan to do jus that? Yes the first QNX phone will be all touch, but then XNX is an all touch OS. I'm sure we will see future QNX phones with familiar form factors later next year or early the next, but given that

Essentially do what apple does. They only have one phone and just improve on it. The iPhone is by far the best that the phone wolrd has to offer. Its not for everyone but the truth is nobody does it like apple.
    ROTFL LMAO.... no offense but that's the dumbest thing I have read in a long time. I've and iOS, Android, Blackberry, and yes even a WP7 device and to say that iPhone is by far the best is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. They all bring things to the Table but I can name half a dozen Android phones that are physically better devices than the new iPhone.
    10-11-11 06:26 PM
    If u say so...
    Give atleast 3 good examples of how any android phone out now is better than iphone 4?

10-11-11 07:19 PM
    [QUOTE=Crucial_Xtreme;6750457]

Edit: No matter how buggy the 9800 may have been, it was NEVER close to the 9530 on Verizon my friend. At least get your facts straight

add also verizon's Bold-9650
    10-11-11 08:41 PM
    [QUOTE=joju58;6753352]

Edit: No matter how buggy the 9800 may have been, it was NEVER close to the 9530 on Verizon my friend. At least get your facts straight

add also verizon's Bold-9650
    Never had any issues with the 9650 actually other than being slow. The 9630 sucked before it got the BB6 upgrade though.
    10-11-11 08:50 PM
    [QUOTE=VZWRocka;6753369]

Never had any issues with the 9650 actually other than being slow. The 9630 sucked before it got the BB6 upgrade though.
    One is my daughter's 9650 and three my coworkers all had issues. They now happy 9930 owners.
    10-11-11 08:56 PM
    If u say so...
    Give atleast 3 good examples of how any android phone out now is better than iphone 4?

Obviously this is somewhat subjective, and can be debated but if we are talking the first 4:

* Samsung Galaxy S 2
    * HTC Droid Incredible (original screen)
    * Droid Charge

are all clearly better phones

If you discount the screen resolution (which does not really matter to most people anyway) you can add

* HTC Thunderbolt
    * Droid Bionic
    * Motorola Atrix
    * Droid X2
    * DInc2
    * Revolution

Details are still sketchy but it appears that the Vigor, Atrix 2, Revolution 2, and Nexus Prime will all outdo the 4S but we shall see.

I'm not trying to belittle the iPhone here but merely to point out that the idea that the 4S is far and away better than any other phone on the market is just plain ridiculous. iPhone 4/4S has some things better than some of these phones and some of these phones have the 4/4S beat in some areas. That's the nature of technology.
    10-11-11 09:00 PM

One is my daughter's 9650 and three my coworkers all had issues. They now happy 9930 owners.

Not saying that the 9930 isn't a better phone than the 9650 because it clearly is, and I was more than happy to deactivate mine in favor of the upgrade, but there was nothing inherently wrong with the phone ether, IMHO, it worked as it should and I never even felt the need to load leaked OS's on it. Was it slow? yeah it was, but it still worked.
    10-11-11 09:04 PM
    If u say so...

10-11-11 09:09 PM
    I see one example there, faster HSPA. OTOH the 4s is faster overall according to benchmarks and the camera is much faster.
    10-11-11 10:16 PM
    Your just putting stats out ther. Just because a phone has better number doesn't mean it can out perform the other.
    No way.
    Out of the 3 u mentiin, the galaxy s 2 is the one that works fairly well, still not even close to being as reliable.
    Enough of that.
    When can I get my 9900 AT&T?

10-12-11 07:03 AM
  24. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    CX says its almost ready at AT&T ... Bold 9900
    10-12-11 08:35 AM
    I went by Verizon last night and played with the 9930, a nice piece for sure. I'm coming from the OG bold and actually really like it for a business phone and looks like the 99xx will do all that and more. Then went by At&t and of course they were not helpful at all and have no idea when they are getting it and didn't offer a solution for me either.

I'm stuck b/c my bolds trackball no longer scrolls down and I was just waiting it out for the 9900 to come out on at&t but now work says they are upgrading to new BES servers, which I cannot do b/c my trackball is broken. It's not an option, I have to upgrade to the new BES.

So, do I jump ship to another carrier (and which one??) or get a 'holdmeover' torch for 30 days and pray the bold comes out on At&t in time to switch? I played with the Torch and the keyboard svcked IMO.

Only carrier that financially makes sense is Sprint from what I can tell, as far as monthly service bills. I have the 450 min, unl msg and 'unl' data plan on at&t but with so many rollover mins and the ability to call any mobile for free, I never run out of mins. With Verizon, that wouldn't work due to no rollover and only free to Verizon #'s calling.

Opinions?
    10-12-11 09:12 AM
1,957 ... 2627282930 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD