The implication was that somehow because he heard if from RIM (or rather a Blackberry Store) that it was somehow official or had some weight to it, and as we all know by now it doesn't.

You deal directly with RIM. I guess I have had better luck with BB devices with you as the only one I have ever had a problem with was my first Tour (and the irony was it had nothing to do with the trackball). Obviously it is better if the carrier releases it but if they don't have a date and the rumor date changes like this (shades of the 9000 three years ago) I would not waste my time. I bought a T-Mobile branded 8900 several months before AT&T released it and other than a less than stellar trackball (almost all of those and the Tours had that issue) the device worked flawlessly.

All I am saying is save yourself the headache and get the device you want. At the rate these delays are going (now even the Nov 20 date pushed back) it is going to be after the first of the year before AT&T finally gets it out.
    i mean if u don't believe me you can call the store, google "blackberry store farmington hills michigan" and get on the list to get a phone call and stop complaining. you have verizon anyway, why do u even care?
    09-25-11 09:51 PM
    Steve, glad you're liking the 9860.
    Thanks again bro. I just hope they don't mess with this IMEI or shut down this pin when this is all over lol. You sure that won't happen? Yea I'm loving this phone. I still want CX to say what hardware they are changing. I don't see anthing wrong with phone at all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-25-11 10:07 PM
    i mean if u don't believe me you can call the store, google "blackberry store farmington hills michigan" and get on the list to get a phone call and stop complaining. you have verizon anyway, why do u even care?
    Never said I didn't believe what you said, only the accuracy of the info that they gave you. A Blackberry store is not going to have any more accurate info than an AT&T one regarding an AT&T launch date, and if anything they are going to have even LESS accurate information.

I care because I used to have AT&T as well, initially for the sole reason that I wanted the Bold 9000 almost three years ago. I have a lot of empathy for those of you waiting for the 9900.
    09-26-11 12:09 AM
    ......All I am saying is save yourself the headache and get the device you want. At the rate these delays are going (now even the Nov 20 date pushed back) it is going to be after the first of the year before AT&T finally gets it out.
    November 20th date pushed back? When has AT&T officially announced this date for the release? They haven't. This is what people get bent out of shape about......
    09-26-11 05:51 AM
    Just cuz the phones work doesn't mean that they're working as well as they'd like them to be...I actually work in the testing field (not on cell phones), just because something passes minimum specs doesn't mean its good enough for release.

For example, the internet on the phone could be running @ 10kbps instead of 14kbps, so it's working, but maybe not up to their standards. Maybe the battery is lasting 5 hours instead of 5.5 hours.

I have no inside knowledge, but if AT&T is anything like the company I work for we tend to test things to the extreme (150% of expected strain), maybe that's what AT&T's doing.

And once again I reiterate my earlier point, this phone is NOT delayed...it's been announced that it will be coming to AT&T, however AT&T never gave a date, so its hard to delay something that was never expected by a certain date. The CB community is more informed that 95% of BB customers on AT&T I'd guess, leads to a lot more frustration than just going along blindly
    09-26-11 06:48 AM
    From my point of view, I don't particularly care to argue the point of the phone being delayed or not because the end result is the same: essentially everyone else seems to have no problem rolling out the 9900/9930 except AT&T. I'm sure there are other carriers out there that haven't as I can't claim to know every one of them, but by and large the device seems to be out everywhere else. And even if the device isn't out everywhere else, the perception is that it is, and perception is reality.

When the 9000 hit the streets, there was mass pandemonium because the phone failed so miserably. You couldn't go anywhere without reading someone's complaint of the 9000 in far greater numbers than what we see for the 9900/9930. As a result, AT&T delayed the release of the 9000 until it worked better, at least as far as we had been told. That's fine, except the situation isn't repeating itself with the 9900. While there are complaints of battery life and "squeaky" buttons, there doesn't seem to be the same level of failure with the 9900 as there was with the 9000. There certainly isn't the same level of noise. And yet the device is still in testing with AT&T due to hardware failures?

If this were a one-off situation for AT&T, then I would be more willing to be patient and believe the excuses. But it's not. Remember the Bridge disaster? AT&T insisted that Bridge was delayed because they wanted to ensure a good customer experience. That, as it turned out, was a lie. The real reason they delayed Bridge is so they could cripple it and charge for it. Now, if AT&T insisted that they delayed Bridge to ensure customer satisfaction, and representatives here are using the same basic language to explain the still unreleased 9900, then why should I believe AT&T this time? Once bitten, and all that.

Furthermore, what ever happened to the 9780? That phone showed up all over the place with AT&T branding, and then one day... poof. It was gone, never to be heard from again. So can anyone shed any light on that situation? And if the response is going to be "It just wasn't enough of an upgrade over the 9700 to warrant adding the phone to the lineup" then don't bother. I don't buy that any more than I buy the argument that Bridge was delayed to ensure customer satisfaction. If the phone wasn't enough of an upgrade, then why bother with it at all? And why release so many different Android devices when they are so similar to one another? Heck, why release the iPhone over and over again when there really aren't huge changes from year to year? Well, other than the obvious: cash cow.

Lastly, with the announcement of iMessage on the iPhone, AT&T made an announcement of their own: no more tiered text plans. Interesting. So Apple releases a data-centric messaging application that will likely explode in popularity, and AT&T just happens to drop all but the most expensive text plan around the same time? Not a coincidence, and what a load of junk.

Sorry, but AT&T has dropped the ball one too many times for me.
    Last edited by ifarlow; 09-26-11 at 09:00 AM.
    psiclne and YourMobileGuru like this.
    09-26-11 08:58 AM
    If a person reads the thread, Nov 20 has not been pushed back and the roadmap is still the most legitimate piece of information we have to go on since it was dead accurate concerning the 9810 release. Its November 20 unless we hear something from AT&T people. Everything else is misguided speculation.

Last edited by olblueyez; 09-26-11 at 10:27 AM.
    09-26-11 09:01 AM
    Just so we are crystal clear on one thing, if the dates on that map pan out, then AT&T was in the know and whoever came up with the map got info from AT&T. One has become reality, what happens when it becomes two and three? You going to tell us someone just guessed and got lucky?

Actually, that can just mean that based on past performance and future projections they anticipated a November release, what companies tend to do is set attainable goals, its better to have November way out there and release it in October rather than say October, have something go wrong and then have to delay it until November.
    09-26-11 09:27 AM
    If it drops on 11/20, the conspiracy theorists will be insufferably self satisfied. I hope it does. Makes for good theater.
    09-26-11 09:45 AM
    I keep checking this thread everyday with the hopes that SOMEbody drops some exciting news about this phone being released by At&t within the next week
    09-26-11 09:58 AM
    If it drops on 11/20, the conspiracy theorists will be insufferably self satisfied. I hope it does. Makes for good theater.
    Having the 9810 drop on 8/21 indicates the map is correct so far and the best indicator we have at the moment.

Saying "AT&T didn't produce the map" does not indicate it is incorrect or that it will be incorrect, that would be a theory based on nothing.

09-26-11 10:21 AM
    Having the 9810 drop on 8/21 indicates the map is correct so far and the best indicator we have at the moment.

Saying "AT&T didn't produce the map" does not indicate it is incorrect or that it will be incorrect, that would be a theory based on nothing.

That part of the post was good for a chuckle. The part about avoiding the site because people have the gall to post their negative sentiments was LOL funny. He got a lot of kudos on the post so I'm certain his ego bruise is suitably assuaged. Kids these days...
    09-26-11 10:54 AM

All that indicates is that AT&T plans well - I'm not saying the map isn't correct, but AT&T's not sandbagging, they're planning accordingly
    09-26-11 10:56 AM
    All that indicates is that AT&T plans well - I'm not saying the map isn't correct, but AT&T's not sandbagging, they're planning accordingly
    I agree 100% and the reasons why are nothing but speculation.

09-26-11 10:58 AM
    If a person reads the thread, Nov 20 has not been pushed back and the roadmap is still the most legitimate piece of information we have to go on since it was dead accurate concerning the 9810 release. Its November 20 unless we hear something from AT&T people. Everything else is misguided speculation.

It's quite amusing that you only mention a dates it got right. It's gotten as many wrong as well. You don't mention the fact it listed the 9850 as being released on Verizon Sept 1st and got it wrong. Or that the new Curve 9360 supposed release date of Sept 9th, it too wrong. Or the fact you could get the 9930 on Verizon on Sept 15th.

The fact remains that if AT&T could release the 9900 right now it would. And the 9900 you get from AT&T will have a different HW version than the current models on the market. This device has issues on the AT&T network
    09-26-11 11:57 AM
    The fact remains that if AT&T could release the 9900 right now it would. And the 9900 you get from AT&T will have a different HW version than the current models on the market. This device has issues on the AT&T network
    The combination of having to be loyal and patient with respect to BOTH AT&T AND RIM is almost too much to bear!!!
    09-26-11 12:05 PM
    It's quite amusing that you only mention a dates it got right. It's gotten as many wrong as well. You don't mention the fact it listed the 9850 as being released on Verizon Sept 1st and got it wrong. Or that the new Curve 9360 supposed release date of Sept 9th, it too wrong. Or the fact you could get the 9930 on Verizon on Sept 15th.

How many AT&T dates were incorrect? Also, what do the Verizon dates have to do with the AT&T dates? More baztard logic to defend an idea that is not defensible.

Last edited by olblueyez; 09-26-11 at 12:18 PM.
    09-26-11 12:15 PM

Sorry CX, you know I have always respected your input and knowledge, but I am having trouble understanding this one. Why are Rogers 9900's working fine on the AT&T network and yet you and PG are saying that it has such bad hardware issues that it will not release the phone? Can you be more specific on what the issues are, and what the difference is from the Rogers hardware?
    09-26-11 12:16 PM
    He won't tell you about the hardware issues, that would be way too realistic and avoid any confusion. But hey, if it makes you feel better about what he says, "Verizon missed a bunch of their dates".

I think I will stick with the AT&T dates on the map.

Last edited by olblueyez; 09-26-11 at 12:29 PM.
    09-26-11 12:21 PM
    How many AT&T dates were incorrect? Also, what do the Verizon dates have to do with the AT&T dates? More baztard logic to defend an idea that is not defensible.

What does one have to do with the other? It goes to the credibility of the roadmap. The point is that roadmap has been both right and wrong. Yep it got the 9810 right. But it got others wrong. So what you're saying is the roadmap is only correct for AT&T. Forget the other carriers it's been wrong about. It doesn't matter at all that it's been right on some and dead wrong on others. Because it was right on one means it's right on the others. If so you are what I believe you to be.

Sorry CX, you know I have always respected your input and knowledge, but I am having trouble understanding this one. Why are Rogers 9900's working fine on the AT&T network and yet you and PG are saying that it has such bad hardware issues that it will not release the phone? Can you be more specific on what the issues are, and what the difference is from the Rogers hardware?
    I appreciate that, but there's not much to talk about if you feel as you say above that the 9900 is immune to problems. People act as if all 9900's are working great, no problems whatsoever. That's simply not the case. Just like most people have changed their firmware. Why? Bugs.
    Yes there are many out there that don't have any issues. And some out there that ignore them because they haven't had a new BlackBerry in over a year. And there have been many that have returned their 9900.
    I understand that a handful of 9900's in specific parts of the US work fine. But AT&T's network covers the entire country obviously and in many places it doesn't work well. Lots of this is due to the complexity of the AT&T network, lots of it has to do with the software.
    Again, the 9900 you buy from AT&T when it releases will have a different HW revision number than the one purchased from Rogers or Voda UK.
    09-26-11 12:39 PM
    Again, the 9900 you buy from AT&T when it releases will have a different HW revision number than the one purchased from Rogers or Voda UK.
    CX, I know this is pretty lazy on my part, but there are almost 450 posts in this thread, and I got tired around half way through. What is your current guesstimate as to when the 9900 will drop for AT&T?
    09-26-11 01:12 PM
    What does one have to do with the other? It goes to the credibility of the roadmap. The point is that roadmap has been both right and wrong. Yep it got the 9810 right. But it got others wrong. So what you're saying is the roadmap is only correct for AT&T. Forget the other carriers it's been wrong about. It doesn't matter at all that it's been right on some and dead wrong on others. Because it was right on one means it's right on the others. If so you are what I believe you to be.

I appreciate that, but there's not much to talk about if you feel as you say above that the 9900 is immune to problems. People act as if all 9900's are working great, no problems whatsoever. That's simply not the case. Just like most people have changed their firmware. Why? Bugs.
    Yes there are many out there that don't have any issues. And some out there that ignore them because they haven't had a new BlackBerry in over a year. And there have been many that have returned their 9900.
    I understand that a handful of 9900's in specific parts of the US work fine. But AT&T's network covers the entire country obviously and in many places it doesn't work well. Lots of this is due to the complexity of the AT&T network, lots of it has to do with the software.
    CX can you give me some insight on the HW revisions on the 9860? PM me if necessary.
    09-26-11 01:48 PM
    ...the 9900 you buy from AT&T when it releases will have a different HW revision number than the one purchased from Rogers or Voda UK.
    This makes me wonder if it will be worthwhile to upgrade to the AT&T hardware when it is released in November. Without knowing what those unspecified hardware changes are (or if they will really occur), I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Meanwhile, I am very happy with my unlocked Rogers 9900 on the AT&T network.
    09-26-11 02:03 PM

So far I've appreciated your input and insider knowledge but this is getting ridiculous. Once again you don't state the specific hardware issues that are holding up the device launch. I'm starting to think you're just making excuses.
    09-26-11 02:27 PM
    So far I've appreciated your input and insider knowledge but this is getting ridiculous. Once again you don't state the specific hardware issues that are holding up the device launch. I'm starting to think you're just making excuses.
    Ever think that he CAN'T state the issues? It probably proprietary and that type of information can't be released outside of AT&T other than in sharing it w/ RIM.
    09-26-11 03:05 PM
1,957 ... 1617181920 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD